A-10C TTQ briefings/kneeboard packet [FEEDBACK]

Raptor9

• ED Team

This is meant as constructive feedback. I am really enjoying the TTQ campaign, however I would like to suggest a bit of a review on the included documentation for the mission briefs and kneeboard pages.

There seems to be a bit of a difference between what altitudes I am "briefed" to fly during certain phases of the mission, and where the evaluator "wants" me to fly. Every mission I often hear "Check your altitude", even when I am at the assigned altitude for that leg of the route/airspace area (like TC Gopher and Iris) according to the ACO (Airspace Coordination Order).

Not sure if this is an issue with the conditions that are evaluated within the mission triggers or not. I've been flying with the standard 29.92 on each mission.

It can be somewhat cumbersome and confusing to get information I need within the kneeboard pages; I find myself constantly flipping back and forth through the many pages, comparing for example the A-10 Mission Data Card, then the route, then the IFG, and then the altitude blocks vs the ACO, and then finding the Time-On-Target/Vul times buried in a sea of text on one of the pages.

My recommendations:

Add some context to some of the packet sheets, and maybe consolidate some of the info. An example is a revised route image, a one-over-the-world chart that shows the A-10C flight route, but also has labels per route leg that show altitude blocks to be flown. Under laid below the route on the same chart would be an outline of the VTA, MOA, FLOT, FSCL, and any other large area control measures we should be aware of, so we can see under what situational context will the flight be in when arriving at any given waypoint or IP. I found myself constantly flipping back and forth trying to associate where my route was in time and space in relation to the VTA boundries and other key terrain features or control measures.

On the Deep Interdiction SF Support mission I actually inadvertently left the VTA area while focused inside on the TGP in a wide, high-altitude orbit scanning for threats near the LZ. I didn't make the connection between two separate images that IP Edsel was right on the limit of VTA airspace, otherwise I probably would have paid more attention to where I was, or just shifted the orbit entirely. This is a common problem on almost every mission where I find myself furiously hitting forward or back in the kneeboard packet, 80% of which doesn't pertain to the tasks at hand.

It may be for immersion like real-life to have all that information to cover any possible contingencies or scenario, but if I were flying it in real-life, I would tear out every piece of paper that contains data that when/if I need it, I would have time to dig out a separate packet and look. Any piece of data that I would need very rapidly would constitute my immediate kneeboard pages, and try to keep it concise, organized, with as much situational awareness as possible. Even just putting the No-Fire Zones as small circles with a slash in them, and a number next to it, on the one-over-the-world card would be handy. Doesn't have to show the size or shape, but it would be nice to know if I'm flying near one when operating near a given landmark or reference point.

For the campaign devs, if you find this feedback useful, and would like correspond more directly via discord or email, feel free to send me a message.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

We will see what we can do to make the kneeboard pages more relevant for each mission with less back and forth flipping as you indicated.

The altitude triggers may need some adjustment so we will retest and tweak as needed.

We are not familiar with a one-over-the-world card and can't find a reference online. Can you provide an example so we can understand it better?

We appreciate all input that makes the missions better while remaining in the realm of realism and immersion.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• ED Team

"One-over-the-world" isn't a doctrinal term per se, it's just a common term used to convey at what level of the airspace/battlefield you are trying to display, and what level of information clutter do you want.

"One-over-the-world" would be a diagram of the entire flight plan/mission, showing key bits of information such as airspace boundries, route altitudes/airspeeds, possibly a couple of key times such as at what time you need to arrive at a given waypoint, any threat rings that may impact your route of flight/route leg, air refueling tracks, drone orbits in the mission area, etc.

Following that, you would have a "Macro", which could be a smaller, however still somewhat large, image of the mission area, that encompasses an IP to Target area portion of your flight route, and would include key points like airspace control points and Initial Point's, and other control measures like the FLOT, FSCL, Restricted Operating Zones (ROZ), No-Fire Areas (NFA)/Restricted Fire Areas (RFA), templated friendly/JTAC positions, etc.

Following the Macro, you would have a "Micro". This would be an up close diagram of the target/objective area itself, and is often composed of graphics overlaid on satellite imagery if available. Target grids/elevation, target priorities, final attack headings, any friendly observation point's nearby, closest urban structures, etc. There may be several "Micros" for any given mission.

Keep in mind, that "One-over-the-world", "Macro", and "Micro" are organizational terms that may mean something different depending on whether you are talking to a USAF pilot, an attack helicopter pilot, or a SOF team. And the types of information and amount of detail for each level would of course vary depending on what unit it is for, what the mission is, etc.

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team

I've attached some elements of a kneeboard card that a group of mine use during our weekly ops. These are just some examples, and the content and detail could vary fairly significantly between missions. But it's meant to capture as much key data and context in one look, without overloading the eyes or being confusing.

Granted, these are just some examples for use within DCS, but the kneeboard packets we use are based on real-world examples with slight adaptations for DCS. Also these images don't constitute a card in themselves, I just took away all the rest of the data blocks to demonstrate the difference between the "One-over-the-world" chart versus other images that are more focused on individual elements, such as the area being flown during the vul period, or the altitude block assignments.

1636470414_One-over-the-Worldexample.png.8b31301926ad40eefd6f5b225b55db67.png

1074062998_Macroexample.png.652b4b20aa07e94b5387c8bc95dc8175.png

85152257_Altitudesexample.png.e8b593e86b6c02ebc802be0d91a4b212.png

Edited by Raptor9

DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team

You had me thinking on why we call it "One-over-the-world", and then I realized it's in reference to map scales. So for example, VFR Sectional charts are 1:500,000 scale, with each inch covering 6.86 nautical miles; or standard military topographic maps are 1:250,000 scale, pronounced "One over two-fifty".

"One-over-the-world" being just a slang term for showing the entire area that is relevant to the mission, regardless of scale.

DCS Rotor-Head