Running two DCS but need two separate start up

I have two install of DCS but I need to have both separate folder to ovoid mixing config in the Saved games folder.. Need one for VR and the other to work on mission or textures quicker to have two install..

Thx if you know how.

Fly it like you stole it..

Create a file named dcs_variant.txt in the root of your second DCS install folder.

If you write blahblah in his file (for example), on the next launch this particular DCS installation will create and use a new profile located in "Saved Games\DCS.blahblah".

This way you can have as many DCS installs as you want. Or a single install with several "dcs_variant.txt" files for different "saved games" profiles.

Hope you got the idea.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

For texturing, just place the livery inside the CoreMods aircraft folder if it's there, or under Bazar/Liveries if it's there. Then you can just use the modelviewer provided in bin folder. Overwrite any texture and click reload textures.

For mission making, just disable all the modules you don't want to load on launch in module manager.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Another option to avoid multiple installs to save disk space but to have the convenience of a one click option for a quick load is to use a good old fashioned batch file.

I have two Mod folders, one with everything in and one with just the aircraft, terrain & campaign I am currently flying or editing missions for.

I simply have a three line batch file which renames the folders, copied to my task bar so it is one click and runs instantly (renaming takes no time)

Happy to share more detail if of interest.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 3 weeks later...

Reading your OP again I realise my solution is rather the opposite of what you want, mine has a single installation using the same saved game folder but gives me the option for a quicker load by only loading a focussed group of modules rather than all of them.

In your case I think you basically want multiple saved games folders. You can do this as said by having multiple installs or you could have a single install of DCS and two (or more) saved games folders.

To do the latter create the dcs_variant.txt as directed above. DCS will then create a second Saved Games folder of the name you use in the txt file.

To switch between them do the following:

Create a dcs_variant1.txt with the original dcs install name in it (the name of your existing saved games folder)

Copy your newly created dcs_variant.txt to dcs_variant2.txt

In your DCS program install folder Create a batch file called vr.bat (or vr.cmd) with the following:

copy dcs_variant1.txt dcs_variant.txt /Y

Then create a mission.bat (or mission.cmd)

copy dcs_variant2.txt dcs_variant.txt /Y

Create shortcuts on your desktop to the two files created and just double click to switch which saved games you are using

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat