Oculus celebrates 1 year anniversary of Quest and Rift S

dburne

https://www.oculus.com/blog/celebrating-the-one-year-anniversary-of-oculus-quest-and-rift-s/

Hand tracking in Quest moves from Experimental to General release in next update.

Opens up to third party developers on May 28th. Should be interesting seeing games supporting this feature.

Wonder if ED has their eyes on this? Of course first Oculus would have to support Hand Tracking in Quest with Link, or even Rift S, and who

knows if they ever will.

Over 100 million dollars has been spent on Quest content since it's release a year ago.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Man they have really dropped support for the Rift S.

And still no fix for the audio popping/cracking that I've had since day one and was promised "would be fixed soon"

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Man they have really dropped support for the Rift S.

And still no fix for the audio popping/cracking that I've had since day one and was promised "would be fixed soon"

Yeah seeming like Rift S is more a red headed stepchild these days.

Is the audio issue in your Rift S headphone jack or the built in audio strap?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

This was obvious move for facebook when they fired last of original Oculus staff and canceled Rift CV2. They are going after mobile market with PC connection as a bonus.

It might pay off for them in the long run. Sensors, cameras, and displays can only get better. If Quest can do what it does only at better quality, I'd buy it.

Yeah seeming like Rift S is more a red headed stepchild these days.

Is the audio issue in your Rift S headphone jack or the built in audio strap?

Both. I use the built in speakers, I tried plugging in externals through the jack and get the same issue. I'm not alone, there is a large thread on their support (aka post here and we'll ignore you) forum.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Oculus said that after the Hand Tracking matures in Quest they will try it to Rift S.

Now when Quest gets it officially, so it is good enough by feedback, they likely push it to Rift S as well.

All I ask from it is that system would track index finger and thumb, as a mouse cursor. So one can just move cursor with either thumbnail or tip of index finger and click stuff with pinching.

Of course if ED implements the hand model and tracking, all just better.....

But just that mouse cursor is enough for me, not even requiring a 3D (depth) while it would be ultra nice to push things and pinch for adjusting knobs etc.

The Rift S was great update, not the best there is but great for flight simulators by quality, performance and usability.

IMHO their weakest point simply was audio, completely dropped the ball there. Like they went from great audio in CV1 to awful audio in Rift S. Like why not add the placement for CV1 headphones you could have buy separately or take from CV1, and keep integrated as backup/cheap solution?

Well, I hope to see hand tracking in coming months, or this year for Rift S.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The only problem my Rift S has given me besides a bad Oculus patch every now and then has been the mic randomly dying and only coming back if I unplug the USB cable. If I don't use it, it may stay on indefinitely, but if I use the mic in an application, it eventually goes dead, usually in the middle of use and almost certainly after exiting the application. After one firmware update, the mic worked non-stop for weeks, until the next firmware update. I gave up and use a headset most of the time, which solves the real problem with the Rift S: the horrible open ear audio. I Liked having open ears because it is more comfortable and allows me to hear other things, but it loses a lot of volume and clarity. The Corsair HS60 headset I am using adds a lot of bulk, but it sounds so much better at both low and high volume settings as well as having a decent mic.

It is a shame that Oculus has appeared to abandon the PC platform. My only real use for VR is PC flight sims. What they are telling me is to seek a better product elsewhere. When the cpu and gpu performance ramps up enough to drive VR at 90+ fps steady in something like DCS World with image quality that rivals using a large 4K display and an FOV that pretty much matches or exceeds your natural field of view, I may be going into major debt to buy whatever it takes to have all that. But for the moment, anything that is significantly better than the Rift S won't run much better because of PC limitations. Whereas for me, the Rift S was a huge improvement the original Oculus Rift.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep Rift S mic did the same to me, dropping out during gameplay which was highly annoying.

I added a USB desktop mic to solve that issue.

My audio is great using earbuds in the headset's headphone jack.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Very pleased with the image quality and performance of my Rift S.

I have been using the thing daily for many hours each week since getting it on release, almost a year ago now.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Yep Rift S mic did the same to me, dropping out during gameplay which was highly annoying.

I added a USB desktop mic to solve that issue.

My audio is great using earbuds in the headset's headphone jack.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Very pleased with the image quality and performance of my Rift S.

I have been using the thing daily for many hours each week since getting it on release, almost a year ago now.

I have used mine almost daily since I got it. Periodically, I do switch back to TrackIR/flat panel, such as the past two or three weeks that I have been trying to get into multiplayer. Once I get used to TrackIR again (about 2 to 4 days), it is hard for me to go back to VR. I find the large display with 4K graphics and fps almost steady at 60 with nearly maxed out in-game graphics settings just as immersive as VR. I wear glasses and wearing just an audio headset with a mic is a lot more comfortable for long hours than a VR headset. To be fair, the Rift S is way more comfortable than the original Rift: it doesn't push my glasses into the bridge of my nose causing pain after 30 to 60 minutes. But it is far easier to kick back with a rum and coke and be able without a bulky headset in the way.

But once I go back to VR, I immediately remember the advantages:

1) The 1:1 head tracking means I don't have to get "used to it", it is far more immersive and works extremely well.

2) The vertical field of view is as wide as the horizontal field of view. You can track someone above your nose and still see some of your control panel and/or gunsight as well as fly a helicopter and see the instruments while looking forward.

3) More important to me than "depth", the stereo effect lets me easily see around canopy frames without moving my head much at all. In TrackIR, it amazes me how often I lose visual contact with a contact crossing the canopy frame.

4) The sense of movement and the sense of the direction your are looking enhances situational awareness. I can dogfight much better in jets as well as fly nap of earth and hover much better in helos.

TrackIR takes practice to get used to it and use it effectively. VR not only makes you feel like you really are in the cockpit, but allows me to fly better in almost every way with zero effort beyond using it instead of TrackIR!

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be fair, the Rift S is way more comfortable than the original Rift: it doesn't push my glasses into the bridge of my nose causing pain after 30 to 60 minutes.

Ever thought of using drop-in lenses? They are really really good, moving your comfort way up.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

True that !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

3) More important to me than "depth", the stereo effect lets me easily see around canopy frames without moving my head much at all. In TrackIR, it amazes me how often I lose visual contact with a contact crossing the canopy frame.

How I have forgotten that annoying thing.

When watching replays from a big TV etc, it doesn't reveal that as badly as you see things and look at them differently with VR than display. It is natural to look around, spot things, look cockpit etc. That VR makes fighting so easy.

Like today I was again flying in KA-50 and it is fairly easy spot targets outside, something that ain't so in display use. And constantly having proper orientation what happens around makes easy to fight and fly same time. Something that was so detached with display.

In MiG-21 it is as well easy to notice that cockpit aint so bad that it is always written by its visibility to outside when you know where enemy is. But it is not so suitable to search one when unknown is there someone or not.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Spotting in DCS World is already hard enough and the mix of VR's low resolution with PD and MSAA, makes it even harder. But once you are close enough to see someone in VR, it is amazingly easier to maintain situational awareness while aggressively maneuvering and moving you head all over the place to track one target while watching other threats. It is both way easier and way more fun. I absolutely love the 1:1 tracking which means I have to really move around to see everything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have used mine almost daily since I got it. Periodically, I do switch back to TrackIR/flat panel, such as the past two or three weeks that I have been trying to get into multiplayer. Once I get used to TrackIR again (about 2 to 4 days), it is hard for me to go back to VR. I find the large display with 4K graphics and fps almost steady at 60 with nearly maxed out in-game graphics settings just as immersive as VR. I wear glasses and wearing just an audio headset with a mic is a lot more comfortable for long hours than a VR headset. To be fair, the Rift S is way more comfortable than the original Rift: it doesn't push my glasses into the bridge of my nose causing pain after 30 to 60 minutes. But it is far easier to kick back with a rum and coke and be able without a bulky headset in the way.

But once I go back to VR, I immediately remember the advantages:

1) The 1:1 head tracking means I don't have to get "used to it", it is far more immersive and works extremely well.

2) The vertical field of view is as wide as the horizontal field of view. You can track someone above your nose and still see some of your control panel and/or gunsight as well as fly a helicopter and see the instruments while looking forward.

4) The sense of movement and the sense of the direction your are looking enhances situational awareness. I can dogfight much better in jets as well as fly nap of earth and hover much better in helos.

TrackIR takes practice to get used to it and use it effectively. VR not only makes you feel like you really are in the cockpit, but allows me to fly better in almost every way with zero effort beyond using it instead of TrackIR!

Good summary.

Add to that:

- At high resolution (4K here), while you get a glorious view, everything is much smaller, and especially in helicopter it's difficult to judge the distance to objects.

The result is, in VR I can fly at treetop level and below, following creeks and railroads running between and below the tress with ease.

At 4K I am scared to fly so low, and so close.

- At 4K you have the glorious view, but sometimes, amazingly, and counter-intuitively, you sometimes have *bigger* difficulty spotting objects (other aircraft etc.) than you have at lower resolutions.

(This is an old and well known problem with DCS)

Even if I don't have much problem flying with monitor plus TrackIR, even after starting with VR, I find myself doing it much less.

It looks better, but the feeling of not being able to judge distance, and less 3D structure on the ground makes me fly VR more.

Spotting in DCS World is already hard enough and the mix of VR's low resolution with PD and MSAA, makes it even harder. But once you are close enough to see someone in VR, it is amazingly easier to maintain situational awareness while aggressively maneuvering and moving you head all over the place to track one target while watching other threats. It is both way easier and way more fun. I absolutely love the 1:1 tracking which means I have to really move around to see everything.

See my reply above.

While the lower resolution might give you problems with proper ID of the objects you spot, you actually see them much earlier.

This is an old and well documented problem/dilemma in DCS.

While high resolution makes you able to see the smallest objects far away, strangely some objects remain invisible until very close (so close that they are a great threat to you before you even see them).

I tested it myself when I got a 4K monitor, and some modules were invisible well inside my normally visible range.

It differs from object to object as well: Some works fine at high resolution, some not at all.

-

PS I'm using Quest with USB link cable due to having high IPD, but it works absolutely fine.

I look forward to a new generation with better resolution, and hopefully still mechanical IPD adjustment, or different headsets/lenses for people with different IPD range.

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use