Litening Completion

hein22

There is mode now that slaves the tgp exactly to the velocity vector marker on the hud. You can use that already.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

But I don't always want to point my nose to the target area. You can see it in a10, f16 and God knows in how many planes. This is not a space tech, why wouldn't they put this ?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Bud was down visiting from Chicago . We were walking the fields , and jumped up a covey of quail . I threw up the .22 , and dropped one . Bud thought I was the greatest shot since Annie Oakley (and i saw no need at the time to disabuse him of the notion) , but what he didn't know was that quail was flying straight away from me . A dead-still target from my line of sight .

That's what targeting with the VV does . It makes you a sitting quail .

Hope the ATFLIR / Hornet has a LOS...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Bud was down visiting from Chicago . We were walking the fields , and jumped up a covey of quail . I threw up the .22 , and dropped one . Bud thought I was the greatest shot since Annie Oakley (and i saw no need at the time to disabuse him of the notion) , but what he didn't know was that quail was flying straight away from me . A dead-still target from my line of sight .

That's what targeting with the VV does . It makes you a sitting quail .

Hope the ATFLIR / Hornet has a LOS...

ATFLIR doesn’t have it, or need it either.

Markpoints, TGT points, a bit of pre planning, and eventually JHMCS A/G are all you’ll need.

Markpoints, TGT points, a bit of pre planning, and eventually JHMCS A/G are all you’ll need.

Yeah, people is just too used to the a10c, they don't realize that the Hornet is as much as good in AG with a few missing DCS things like the ones you said. Only markpoints will change our experience by a huge margin. And to ebabil I say: Dude, there are some things in the Hornet in DCS that are just a human wrong interpretation of documents like when ED confused how the JDAM worked and had to re code it and make new tutorial videos. So expect things to change always in this game. I imagine the TGP undesignate logic is wrong as well and ED will realize it when they find the time to. But who knows.

Stay safe

One question that often comes up is if the HUD itself is capable of designating a target (when stores are not selected).

It is capable of designation for INS updates. If it is indeed capable of designating a target outside of CCIP mode, then you could theoretically designate a target and the pod will automatically snap there. Additionally, you could then slew it when TDC priority is set to the HUD (just like you can in AUTO mode).

That will give you the "TGP indication on the hud" effect.

Edited by BarTzi

One question that often comes up is if the HUD itself is capable of designating a target (when stores are not selected).

It is capable of designation for INS updates. If it is indeed capable of designating a target outside of CCIP mode, then you could theoretically designate a target and the pod will automatically snap there. Additionally, you could then slew it when TDC priority is set to the HUD (just like you can in AUTO mode).

That will give you the "TGP indication on the hud" effect.

Yeah, I always thought this too. ED seems dead set that it can’t though. We need to submit documentation or the like that proves this an ability. I’ve got nothing, apart from implied remarks in some docs. Not enough.

But I don't always want to point my nose to the target area. You can see it in a10, f16 and God knows in how many planes. This is not a space tech, why wouldn't they put this ?

If you can see the target area through the HUD, your nose is pointing at it. I don't see how TVV Slave is really significantly more limiting than having a movable FLIR LOS indicator on the HUD. The HUD FOV isn't that wide.

Moreover, the Hornet is not a slow plane designed to fly low and acquire targets visually, don't try to use it like an A-10C, it's not the same type of weapon system. Use Waypoint slave to get close to a target area and then refine your aim point. Or use the radar to acquire a moving target or pick an area of interest from standoff range before closing in to tweak your aim point and make an attack. If you need to find a target visually, slave the FLIR to the TVV, fly it to the target, ground stabilize and refine your aim point as you make your attack run, or break away. The Hornet can strike while staying high and fast, and can leverage multiple integrated sensors to guide the FLIR. We are still missing a lot of the features we really need to play to the Hornet's strengths with the FLIR, but in the meantime, don't expect to fly it the same way and with the same tools as you would in a Warthog.

Yeah, I always thought this too. ED seems dead set that it can’t though. We need to submit documentation or the like that proves this an ability. I’ve got nothing, apart from implied remarks in some docs. Not enough.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=272742

Like this? There is proof that ED should have now, so the ball is firmly in their court now.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=272742

Like this? There is proof that ED should have now, so the ball is firmly in their court now.

What was the proof exactly? Documentation, or a quote from a pilot? Judging by ED’s usual response to things like this they’ll need more than a third hand verbal account.

To be honest, there are now more important functions to get right and implement. HUD designation is the least useful of all the other methods we should have. The related JHMCS cuing is the important ability and it looks like that’s still on the agenda ( for now at least.....).

What was the proof exactly? Documentation, or a quote from a pilot? Judging by ED’s usual response to things like this they’ll need more than a third hand verbal account.

To be honest, there are now more important functions to get right and implement. HUD designation is the least useful of all the other methods we should have. The related JHMCS cuing is the important ability and it looks like that’s still on the agenda ( for now at least.....).

Santi has assured me over discord, that he has delivered the relevant documents to ED.

If you can see the target area through the HUD, your nose is pointing at it. I don't see how TVV Slave is really significantly more limiting than having a movable FLIR LOS indicator on the HUD. The HUD FOV isn't that wide.

Moreover, the Hornet is not a slow plane designed to fly low and acquire targets visually, don't try to use it like an A-10C, it's not the same type of weapon system. Use Waypoint slave to get close to a target area and then refine your aim point. Or use the radar to acquire a moving target or pick an area of interest from standoff range before closing in to tweak your aim point and make an attack. If you need to find a target visually, slave the FLIR to the TVV, fly it to the target, ground stabilize and refine your aim point as you make your attack run, or break away. The Hornet can strike while staying high and fast, and can leverage multiple integrated sensors to guide the FLIR. We are still missing a lot of the features we really need to play to the Hornet's strengths with the FLIR, but in the meantime, don't expect to fly it the same way and with the same tools as you would in a Warthog.

good advises, I totally get it but they all sound like a workaround. having such hud pointer is more important when you are in a fast jet imho. because engagement time is more limited. Viper is also a fast jet and it has this feature. What did they think? "This is a diffrent type of jet, pilot wouldn't need to see where exactly tgp is looking at"

anyway if it is a real-deal, I should live with it.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

The LTD/R updates I assume would be some kind of auto lase mode, but Im not too sure. What I hope comes tomorrow are the coordinates and north marker in the Display.

Well, changelog doesn't say anything about coordinates. Fingers crossed it was included!

Stay safe

I totally get it but they all sound like a workaround.

It's only a work-around if you're approaching it from the same "visual first" workflow as the Warthog. The Hornet should be a "sensor first" workflow, getting an actual eyeball on the target is entirely unnecessary and there's no need for a HUD reference until you're making the actual attack run - which the Hornet gives you in the form of the TD diamond.

I think that button now stows it. I checked F2 view, tpod's sensors roll inside

Youtube

I couldn' figure out but if you hit cage-uncage button it is stowed and not coming back. Then if you hit designate and un designate, it comes back to bore sight.

Another thing, when I turn JHMCS on and AG activate, it shows "HUD AG" . If I activate AA mode, FLIR turns on automatically, why is that?

Youtube

Well, changelog doesn't say anything about coordinates. Fingers crossed it was included!

I hope they're not going to come back and tell us that they have no documentation showing lat/long coordinates on the Litening pod. USMC use it as for FAC(A) on their F/A-18D, so I would find it unbelievable if there is no way for them to get coordinate readings from a target point to pass on to other jets.

I couldn' figure out but if you hit cage-uncage button it is stowed and not coming back. Then if you hit designate and un designate, it comes back to bore sight.

Another thing, when I turn JHMCS on and AG activate, it shows "HUD AG" . If I activate AA mode, FLIR turns on automatically, why is that?

That's got to be a bug. They've obviously been playing around with the AA mode in the dev build and forgot to reset it or something. Just a guess.

AA weapon select should bring up stores page on L DDI.

That's got to be a bug. They've obviously been playing around with the AA mode in the dev build and forgot to reset it or something. Just a guess.

AA weapon select should bring up stores page on L DDI.

Afaik A2A select should bring up Az/El on the left page. But seeing as that isnt implemented yet we get FLIR instead (irl can be accessed through the Az/El page for IFF)

In real life, is there a way to make the Pod "look" where we point with the JHMCS cross? Is it coming to the Charlie?

Yes and yes.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD