Fw-190 A-8 (another great startup sound)

wizav

BMW 801 have devinitely more rough Sound then Asch82, didnt run that smooth compare to the Asch82T Engine.

The only one flying in the World with BMW 801, is the Camoflaged 190 from the Flying Hertiage Museum from the US.

Merling sound is the probably the better one in DCS, but still there is no impression you have 35 Liter Displacement under the Hood.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

BMW 801 have devinitely more rough Sound then Asch82, didnt run that smooth compare to the Asch82T Engine.

The only one flying in the World with BMW 801, is the Camoflaged 190 from the Flying Hertiage Museum from the US.

Merling sound is the probably the better one in DCS, but still there is no impression you have 35 Liter Displacement under the Hood.

35L ?? Merlin has 27L and BMW 801 has 41.8 liters. So i m not quite sure, what this 35L is referenced to.

Probably you have Griffon in mind, for this one we need MK IVX at least :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

They all sound better if you fly them at very high volume with a decent amp and pair of massive speakers. If you fly at half volume on a gaming headset don’t expect to be impressed. The sound is all there. Just gotta have good kit to output all those frequencies at the volume they deserve.

They all sound better if you fly them at very high volume with a decent amp and pair of massive speakers. If you fly at half volume on a gaming headset don’t expect to be impressed. The sound is all there. Just gotta have good kit to output all those frequencies at the volume they deserve.

Exactly, i can only imagine, that some ppl play at 10% volume, and complaining about poor sound.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I'm not sure you have the displacement right... however, the spit sounds chunky to me:

35 Liter Displacement didnt mean any specific Plane (DB 605 have this), only it doesnt sound like a Voluminous Engine...sound pretty flat in my Opinion trough the entire RPM Range..

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

35 Liter Displacement didnt mean any specific Plane (DB 605 have this), only it doesnt sound like a Voluminous Engine...sound pretty flat in my Opinion trough the entire RPM Range..

That video has had a LOT of work done on the audio, post production.

I can tell that the bass frequencies below about 300Mhz have been given a big boost.

It comes through even in the music at the end, that kick has had the low end massively boosted.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 2 weeks later...

Just a pair will never give decent spatial audio. Fly with nothing less than a 4.1 system connected to a dedicated sound card at least. Back in the day of the other sim, people kept complaining about the sound whereas I could make the image in my CRT wiggle with the 109 there. The only thing that sim lacked in regards of audio was variety of engine sounds - those that it had were brilliant for that time. The DCS engine sounds are the best however since those got updated. Just watched a real TF-51D flight on the Tube yesterday and all I thought was it sounded just like DCS. Spot on!

Of course it's hard to get the real 801 or even 605 sounds... they literally got the Spit IX and P-51 at home, more or less.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
That video has had a LOT of work done on the audio, post production.

I can tell that the bass frequencies below about 300Mhz have been given a big boost.

It comes through even in the music at the end, that kick has had the low end massively boosted.

It rumbles when Volker opens the Canopy. That shows the quality of the microphone/attachment in the cockpit.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 4 weeks later...

At this time, there has only been one original Fw-190 flying, an A-5, owned/operated by the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum, and it is also the only one powered by a BMW 801. The aircraft is WkNr.151227 (N19027).

Post-restoration, there have only been two pilots who have flown this aircraft, Steve Hinton Sr. and Kevin Eldridge.

Cockpit vid:

There are 10 other full-sized Fw-190's flying in the world, but they are all replicas manufactured by Flug Werke as partially-completed kits in the early 2000's. Although they look the part quite well, their internal structure is different in various ways and they all differ in systems based on how each individual owner had them completed. According to Klaus Plasa, who has flown most of the Flug Werke replicas, they all fly differently, some better than others, and according to Steve Hinton, the Flug Werke replica he flew doesn't compare to the flying quality of the real Focke Wulf Fw-190 that he has experience in (WkNr.151227, as seen above). Most of the Flug Werke replicas are powered by the ASh-82 engine, as is the example seen in the video at the start of this thread (D-FWAA), while a couple are powered by R-2800's (N190AF and N447FW).

All of the currently flying Flug Werke replicas are:

Australia: VH-WLF

Germany: D-FWAA, D-FWMV

New Zealand: ZK-RFR

Sweden: D-FWSE

United States: N190AF, N190BR, N190DK, N190RF, N447FW

The Collings Foundation has an original Fw-190F-8 (WkNr.93182) that has been under restoration to fly for several years now, known as "White 1", that is very near completion and likely will be flying within a year. It will be powered by a BMW 801, as seen installed in this photo from GossHawk Unlimited: https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/70694558_2473697066031248_6190449136681091072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=zPRzha3S8MMAX8_xgWE&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-1.fna&oh=b79aa3c56b0b33787d4fd45d23531fc1&oe=5F24A7C1

The German-based Flug Werke Fw-190 replica D-FWAA (as seen in the video that started this thread) is actually supposed to be having its ASh-82 engine exchanged for a BMW 801 later this year or next year, which will be making it that much more authentic to an original. Although it is a Flug Werke replica, it has been structurally redone in areas and filled with as many original Focke Wulf type systems/components to make it look and perform as close to an original as possible, and the cockpit is fully outfitted as a stock Fw-190A-8.

Edited by Razorback51