Best adjustable VR headset

davevegas901

I believe they all have lens distance. Actually feature for people with glasses.

Or are you talking about IPD adjustment? They all have that too but some doesn't go over 70mm. But if your friend's head is that big... man...

Rift S only has software IPD adjustment however. This means only the display will separate, not the lens which is fixed at around 63mm which is too narrow for me.

If the head is that big, then comfort should be more of concern. Should try them on before buying or buy from somewhere that offers free return.

Edited by Taz1004

I have a measured IPD OF 68, and I can use the the reverb, without going cross eyed ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I meant to imply it works without visual distortion or discomfort...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I meant to imply it works without visual distortion or discomfort...

Doesn't change the fact that it's not ideal and not recommended. Even by Facebook.

"For Rift S and Go, the lenses are fixed at 63.5mm. This means Quest is “Best for users between 56mm and 74mm” and Rift S and Go are “Best for users between 61.5 and 65.5mm,” according to Facebook."

I am using the Oculus Quest with USB cable link to PC.

It has mechanical IPD adjustment up to 71-72 mm.

That works well for me.

I also needed mechanical IPD adjustment, since mine is 70 mm, and Quest seemed to be the cheapest option of this generation that had mechanical adjustment.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Doesn't change the fact that it's not ideal and not recommended. Even by Facebook.

"For Rift S and Go, the lenses are fixed at 63.5mm. This means Quest is “Best for users between 56mm and 74mm” and Rift S and Go are “Best for users between 61.5 and 65.5mm,” according to Facebook."

He has a Reverb, not a Rift. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Doesn’t matter what Facebook says. Like Stuart, I have an IPD of 68 and Reverb works perfectly for me.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Doesn’t matter what Facebook says. Like Stuart, I have an IPD of 68 and Reverb works perfectly for me.

The question was "What is best ADJUSTABLE headset for big head" Not what is "good enough". Headset with fixed lens is not the "IDEAL" adjustable headset in my book.

I've demo'ed VR to hundreds of people. Something that is "good enough" for some may be totally unacceptable for others.

So based on the request, I recommended headset that's "BEST SUITED" for large head. If you guys are happy with your Reverb, I'm very happy for you guys.

Edited by Taz1004

Actually, HP Reverb doesn't allow lens separation either. I'd say stick with Cosmos, Cosmos Elite or Valve Index if his IPD is higher than 65mm.

Of course anyone "can" use it. Just not recommended especially when there are better options.

The question was "What is best ADJUSTABLE headset for big head" Not what is "good enough". Headset with fixed lens is not the "IDEAL" adjustable headset in my book.

I've demo'ed VR to hundreds of people. Something that is "good enough" for some may be totally unacceptable for others.

So based on the request, I recommended headset that's "BEST SUITED" for large head. If you guys are happy with your Reverb, I'm very happy for you guys.

You’re making a lot of statements that are simply not true. There is no logic behind your first quote above as 2 people here have pointed out.

Your second quote is illogical as well. Better options? In your opinion, maybe. I have owned 4 or 5 headsets including adjustable IPD like Index and Vive Pro, and I can tell you the Reverb is able to accommodate a wide range of IPD without adjustment unlike the other two.

You keep quoting ‘good enough’ when no one has said that except you. in my experience , the Reverb is perfect for a wide range of IPDs. It is also very adjustable for comfort on large heads, and is at no disadvantage compared to other HMDs I have owned in that respect. With its higher resolution, and especially in DCS, I would recommend it above all others I have tried, whether you have a wide IPD or not.

Anyway, I’m out of here!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

In your opinion, maybe.

LMAO. Isn't that what the OP was asking for? Yours isn't an "Opinion"?

I never said Reverb is bad headset. I never questioned it's resolution nor other features. I welcome anyone trying "ANY" VR experience. But that's not what the OP was asking for. It just is not the "BEST" adjustable HMD out there. And there actually ARE better options that allow physical adjustment. That is not just my opinion. That's called a fact.

Again, "adjustable" was the question. Not "resolution".

Edited by Taz1004

no "just not recommended"... you have an opinion, and you are welcome to it ... telling other people their opinion is wrong, without basis in fact is really poor behavior... and WTF has facebook got to do with a Reverb

A good summary of the Reverb from one with high IPD like me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/bzeg9c/hp_reverb_initial_impressions_flight_sim_use_with/

To sum it up: He can use it when looking straight forward, but lose out on FOV and on seeing the edge of the display and getting blurriness on one eye when looking to the sides.

The IPD range adjustment in the headset is simply not large enough.

Additionally I've seen reports on some people getting eye strain when using it for longer periods.

(and this makes it tricky: You can test it, and feel it's fine, but only discover problems when you really start using it.)

These problems made me opt for the Quest, even if I would love a higher resolution headset.

I hope they put better IPD adjustment in the next generation of headsets, and/or better resolution in the successor to the Quest.

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

It's same fixed lens with single display.

Its two displays, and a Reverb isn't a Rift, so recommendations and disclaimers for a Rift don't apply to the headset speed-of-heat was talking about. I also have a Reverb, my IPD is 70mm, and the Reverb works just fine for me. So, it may not be a physically-adjustable headset, but it works quite well for people with wider-than-average IPD, which appears to be the main concern of the OP. No physical IPD adjustment, but anything currently offered with that feature is going to be a step down in resolution.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

no "just not recommended"... you have an opinion, and you are welcome to it ... telling other people their opinion is wrong, without basis in fact is really poor behavior... and WTF has facebook got to do with a Reverb

"it's not ideal and not recommended"

Implies it is NOT the best option. Others have been telling me my opinion is wrong from the start and I was only defending it. What a poor behavior.

I just say "FIXED LENS" is not the best "ADJUSTABLE" and bunch of fanboys show up WTF.

and WTF has facebook got to do with a Reverb

Since so many of you failed to understand or read the whole thread. I was referring to HMD's with fixed lenses. I wasn't only referring to Reverb.

Edited by Taz1004

A good summary of the Reverb from one with high IPD like me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/bzeg9c/hp_reverb_initial_impressions_flight_sim_use_with/

To sum it up: He can use it when looking straight forward, but lose out on FOV and on seeing the edge of the display and getting blurriness on one eye when looking to the sides.

The IPD range adjustment in the headset is simply not large enough.

I wouldn't even bother with linking reddit posts as they'll say it's only an opinion and works perfectly for them. Good read nonetheless.