[REPORTED] Performance Issues

Minsky

Performance is quite terrible, but it has like 10x more polygons, high res textures and more logic to do, so it was expected.

What you can do is open default missions in mission editor and replace static object with low poly ones, remove some personnel and fps will slightly improve.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Performance is quite terrible, but it has like 10x more polygons, high res textures and more logic to do, so it was expected.

What you can do is open default missions in mission editor and replace static object with low poly ones, remove some personnel and fps will slightly improve.

My point before was that maybe some of those high res textures could be dropped down. As it stands, there is a unacceptable difference in performance between using the supercarrier and not using it. There really shouldn't be that huge of a performance gap.

We all expected a minor hit due to the higher detail models and such but this is a MASSIVE hit and with the system requirements for DCS already quite high (and the rather beefy systems people are running in the DCS fanbase as we speak), the hit we are seeing is just too much. If this is a issue of too many high resolution textures, they should either offer lower resolution alternatives for those that wish to use them or create a specific setting to use lower res alternatives.

The goal here really needs to be a relatively consistent performance experience with or without the supercarrier. Right now, the difference is massive and undeniable.

What I am saying is that its not all on you, but your card is on the lower end of the scale, and it wont help much, I do know that we need to see if some more optimization of the carrier can be done as well, but comparing it to the Stennis is not really viable. This model has much more going on.

Fair enough.

I know my GPU is outdated, but there's a big difference between "DCS is becoming slower and slower, so I should start saving for a new hardware", and "DCS was perfectly fine just yesterday, but today it requires a new GPU".

I'll swallow this pill eventually, but for now I would like to see how far you guys can go with optimizing the SC.

Dima | My DCS uploads

what if you create a custom mission with Supercarrier, and add small amounts of personnel and static aircrafts?

Guys, I already tried that on previous pages. It makes no difference at all. The Supercarrier is the sole frame killer - not the statics, maps or AI.

Dima | My DCS uploads

My point before was that maybe some of those high res textures could be dropped down. As it stands, there is a unacceptable difference in performance between using the supercarrier and not using it. There really shouldn't be that huge of a performance gap.

We all expected a minor hit due to the higher detail models and such but this is a MASSIVE hit and with the system requirements for DCS already quite high (and the rather beefy systems people are running in the DCS fanbase as we speak), the hit we are seeing is just too much. If this is a issue of too many high resolution textures, they should either offer lower resolution alternatives for those that wish to use them or create a specific setting to use lower res alternatives.

The goal here really needs to be a relatively consistent performance experience with or without the supercarrier. Right now, the difference is massive and undeniable.

You can try to lower resolution of SC assets, but with such detailed geometry of assets, I'm afraid it's not going to help much, but maybe it can make difference between playable and unplayable.

There are like 2 dozen highly detailed and animated human models onboard, and dozen of static F-18 (each one with same poly count and texture as your own F-18 ). And I will not even mention F-14 model. Massive performance hit was reasonable expectation.

Things you can do:

-Open every mission, delete static crew, change static aircraft to old F-18C, or even older F-18A, delete thugs, cranes...

-Open SC asset textures and reduce resolution. (Someone will probably make a mod for that eventually)

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I see there is a another new graphics setting for MSAA masking? No clue what that is but maybe it has to be adjusted. I am in VR and the cold start mission was pretty choppy as well mostly in the low 30's FPS on deck and then coming back aboard. Lots of AI will hammer FPS I am sure.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Minsky I'm sorry to say your PC hardware is pretty dated and ya it's just not dated it was mid-range when it was new. Like you i5-6500 is only a 4core/4thred CPU. DCS takes alot of CPU horsepower now with everything that is going on around you. Also a GTX 960 4Gb is getting pretty dated too. I bet that GPU is running at 100% all the time. It is what it is. I was in the same boat as you before. I wanted my game to look pretty and also have like 80-100FPS so i had to invest in a Ryzen 9 3900X and a RTX 2080 Super. The more they develop this with newer improved textures the more taxing its going to be on your hardware

Hi,

I am experiencing an FPS drop as well on the Super Carrier deck 24-31 FPS with no static (only carrier):

Screen-200520-235933.png

Screen-200520-235926.png

And 17-21 FPS with static and AI ("Mission Qualification - Carrier Launch" mission):

Screen-200520-235805.png

Screen-200520-235755.png

Outside of the carrier area I have between 45-65 FPS.

Settings:

Screen-200520-235312.png

---

MoBo: MSI B150 PC MATE

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4 2133MHz CL14

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K, 4.2GHz

GPU: Sapphire R9 390 NITRO

SSD: Crucial BX100 250GB

1440p screen.

---

i7-9700K w 2070 here, 1920x1080@60Hz with Vsync on I get solid 60 FPS looking around on deck. with my GPU usage around 92-95% using about 7GB of Vram, the second I look at the island GPU usage drops below 60% and VRAM usage goes to 4GB and my FPS goes to half. CPU core 0 stays around 40ish % I think there is an optimization problem maybe a memory leak.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

i7-9700K w 2070 here, 1920x1080@60Hz with Vsync on I get solid 60 FPS looking around on deck. with my GPU usage around 92-95% using about 7GB of Vram, the second I look at the island GPU usage drops below 60% and VRAM usage goes to 4GB and my FPS goes to half. CPU core 0 stays around 40ish % I think there is an optimization problem maybe a memory leak.

Exactly this, i have same issue in VR, if the island is in view total destruction of fps....

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Exactly this, i have same issue in VR, if the island is in view total destruction of fps....

I mean without Vsync I get 90 plus everywhere and when I look at the island it drops to 58-60ish. I have a brand new card and my monitor is super old. Shouldn't have dips like that, it points to optimization problems.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Same here, that island is FPS black hole, If I look anywhere else on SC I get high 40s FPS in F-14 cockpit, once I look at the island its down to 20 FPS.

Same for me, 1070, 32G RAM, i7 6700k , VR with Rift S, FPS tank under 20 with a rather simple Carrier deck and especially with the island in view.... Headache inducing, which NEVER happens anywhere else in DCS before.

This is not a "old hardware" issue.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

After editing a simple mission on PG, using low poly static aircraft at the bow of the ship, a tractor and some personnel, I got decent fps to lock 40 for my Rift S.

So far happy with the testing.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Iit was decent with the Tomcat though had noticeable stutter at the communications transitions (see you at 10, etc). Also in three landings, 2 on Abe and one on GW didn't see the Tomcat ball call show up in the menu though IFLOLS popped up. I'll probably see where I can bind it.

The Tomcat Instant action missions were most accessible during my lunch. I'll be trying the Bug tonight and much more from the Cat, of course.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Im running an i9-9900k, GTX 1080, on a 1080p monitor with most of the DCS settings on max.

Supercarrier, in a hornet, daytime, with no other units, singleplayer or multiplayer, I get 30 fps staring at the cockpit. Increases if i look elsewhere, but staring at the cockpit is flat 30. Improves once I depart the carrier.

Supercarrier at night drops to 20-16 fps D:

I see a lot of people replying to OP but not to my specs that are absolutely not on the low or medium end of computer specs.

To OP, sorry mate, but your GPU is very old by simming standards. I don't think you can expect to see much of a performance improvement through optimisation of DCS.

As for the GTX 1080, have you tried disabling SSLR? That caused a 40% performance hit on my rig.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I see a lot of people replying to OP but not to my specs that are absolutely not on the low or medium end of computer specs.

Is there an easy way to measure FPS in VR? As long as I don't see lag or stutter, I doubt particularly care what the number is most of the time. I have a similar system built this last November, though went 2070 since I'm waiting for Ampere.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Is there an easy way to measure FPS in VR? As long as I don't see lag or stutter, I doubt particularly care what the number is most of the time. I have a similar system built this last November, though went 2070 since I'm waiting for Ampere.

right control + pause will you give fps

Turn (all) shadows off and enjoy!

Gamma down a little bit, you will adjust to the different picture quality.

Give it a try and report if it helps if you like to.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Turn (all) shadows off and enjoy!

Gamma down a little bit, you will adjust to the different picture quality.

Give it a try and report if it helps if you like to.

Turning off the shadows makes the sim look awful. You are correct that it is a good way to get performance back but it is not a real solution considering the visual cost.

Same here, that island is FPS black hole, If I look anywhere else on SC I get high 40s FPS in F-14 cockpit, once I look at the island its down to 20 FPS.

Same in VR. Solid 45fps everywhere except when looking at the island, fps go down to 25/30.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Alot to render on the island - that aside and with respect do not expect to run the latest software with older hardware. Its brutal i know and not meant to offend its just the reality of the situation.

With a 2080+ its playable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat