iS dcs ww2 DEAD?

Just watched the video. Good to see someone with real life experience in the Mustang, do this in depth camparison.

While I've never flown a Mustang, I am a RL pilot and IL-2 planes just don't feel like real airplanes, in general.

That's why I don't like to get into arguments with guys who argue how real a particular airplane feels. I haven't flown one of them. But, after over 500 hours of flying time, I just don't get the feeling, in IL-2, of actually flying an airplane. They just don't feel all that different than the planes in War Thunder, to be honest.

I concur with Enduro, Ercoupe, and BuzzU.

The two titles have different stengths. Yes, the IL-2 offers a much more complete WWII experience, and has strong advantages in areas like damage modeling. But when it comes to modeling the aircraft themselves, the flight, the systems etc, I personally find it to be not up to what DCS offers.

Personally, I am more interested in what DCS is offering, and I appreciate it might be the other way around for other people. I'd also like to add that I have and enjoy both, for what they are, it's just DCS is ahead for me. Usually, when I fly something there, I tend to feel like "man I can't wait for the DCS version of that to come" to be honest.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I've been playing DCS since lock on su27/a10/black shark and I've always held it in high regard. Recently got back into it after a number of years of hiatus and jumped at the chance to fly the old birds.

Absolutely love it. (Currently flying the p-51D)

Loved it so much I figured that I'd take advantage of a $20.00 IL2 sale for the newest pack recently to give me a different experience. Had never flown IL2 in the past.

Wow, was I ever dissapointed. IL2 looks like a cartoon IMO compared to DCS. It doesn't feel right, and doesn't look the part either. I will have to give it another shot as I only spent an hour or two trying some different planes, but comparing the p-51 in both is night and day. I'm glad I only spent $20 on it, but I just don't see the draw. That being said I'll have to spend an afternoon and jump into IL2 with both feet. I'm obviously missing something here, or is DCS just that superior.

I have my own gripes with DCS (impossible challenge campaign for instance)

That being said, a bugged DCS is far greater IMO than IL2. Maybe I'll revise that opinion with more hours in IL2 if I can bring myself to play it again. I honestly expected more out of IL2 since a lot of people rave about it.

Tell me what I'm missing here?

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung

I think that it's a bit cartoonish looking, also. Maybe it's the lighting. I don't know. But when I'm in it I can't suspend my disbelief. I'm aware, the entire time, that I'm in a game.

I mentioned, before , that I fly in real life. I've never flown a WW2 fighter. But I do have over 500 hours under my belt and I've owned two airplanes. I know what it feels like to FLY.

When I'm in DCS, I feel as though I'm controling an airplane. That's important to me when flying flight simulator.

When I'm flying one of my DCS modules I strive to fy as realistically as possible. I attempt to get my landing down right. Last night, after not having flown the Spit in a while, I decided to practice some landings. Terrible! I must have landed about 15 times before I was happy with the way I got it down.

It really never matters much to me, in IL-2. Even if I bang it up on landing, I figure, "Ah, I'm down, who cares?"

I fly one like a real airplane, and the other like a game.

I think that it's a bit cartoonish looking, also. Maybe it's the lighting. I don't know. But when I'm in it I can't suspend my disbelief. I'm aware, the entire time, that I'm in a game.

I mentioned, before , that I fly in real life. I've never flown a WW2 fighter. But I do have over 500 hours under my belt and I've owned two airplanes. I know what it feels like to FLY.

When I'm in DCS, I feel as though I'm controling an airplane. That's important to me when flying flight simulator.

When I'm flying one of my DCS modules I strive to fy as realistically as possible. I attempt to get my landing down right. Last night, after not having flown the Spit in a while, I decided to practice some landings. Terrible! I must have landed about 15 times before I was happy with the way I got it down.

It really never matters much to me, in IL-2. Even if I bang it up on landing, I figure, "Ah, I'm down, who cares?"

I fly one like a real airplane, and the other like a game.

Exactly, I grew up flying gliders and have a bit of experience in single engine. I almost always fly the full circuit when approaching an airfield and also attempt to navigate and fly as if I were in real life.

IL2 just doesn't cut it. If I want to fly, I want to simulate flying. Everything look very flat and dull. It just doesn't pop visually, and doesn't feel real.

P-51D landings all look similar to this, although granted it took a while to figure out the tail draggers from only having landed single engine GA aircraft and gliders.

p-51D landing:

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to ask you guys, how is the multiplayer scene for WWII nowadays? I might need to take a break from Il-2, but I would like to know if there is a crowd in multiplayer. My WWII experience is also almost non-existent, I only flew WWI in the last decade, but I may adapt. I got to fly DCS for a couple months in 2017, but I didn't even get to map all of my controls. It may be that this time I get hooked. Anyways, I might install the sim to see how things evolved since 2017, perhaps take the P-51 for a ride / I love the startup procedures. I think I have 3 WWII modules.

As a note, single player has 0% appeal to me at this point.

I appreciate any input.

Cheers,

-------

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

I would like to ask you guys, how is the multiplayer scene for WWII nowadays? I might need to take a break from Il-2, but I would like to know if there is a crowd in multiplayer. My WWII experience is also almost non-existent, I only flew WWI in the last decade, but I may adapt. I got to fly DCS for a couple months in 2017, but I didn't even get to map all of my controls. It may be that this time I get hooked. Anyways, I might install the sim to see how things evolved since 2017, perhaps take the P-51 for a ride / I love the startup procedures. I think I have 3 WWII modules.

As a note, single player has 0% appeal to me at this point.

I appreciate any input.

Cheers,

-------

The most crowded WW2 server is the LFDM (Normandy map) always with 30+ players. The LFDM Channel Map server isn´t too popular for now.

SOW is another popular ww2 server but some times with few players then LFDM.

Burning skies server is a ww2 Caucasus map server. I flew many time there until Normandy released.... I don´t know how many people is flying there for now.

Abs,:thumbup:

The most crowded WW2 server is the LFDM (Normandy map) always with 30+ players. The LFDM Channel Map server isn´t too popular for now.

SOW is another popular ww2 server but some times with few players then LFDM.

Burning skies server is a ww2 Caucasus map server. I flew many time there until Normandy released.... I don´t know how many people is flying there for now.

Abs,:thumbup:

Cool, thanks, that's not bad. Perhaps the numbers will go up with the new DM. I might install the game again to give it a try.

abçs,

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

I'll fly il 2 untill the damage model drops, so i expect a few more years to be kinda dead
The DM is already seen in details of the OB right now, so even though we're getting it in small doses at a time I don't think it'll be a few more years :lol::lol: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I would like to ask you guys, how is the multiplayer scene for WWII nowadays?

It depends on the time of day, but so far this month on the Storm of War (SoW) server there has been 660 unique players. Sometimes there is a full server (40+) too. Ref: http://nordfront.org/sowdcsstats/overview.php

SoW is historical missions, with added AI, to make the server busy, even if there are not too many human players online. But usually it is busy and sometimes there is human radar-control too. Certainly plenty to do, and loads of fun.

The DM is already seen in details of the OB right now, so even though we're getting it in small doses at a time I don't think it'll be a few more years :lol::lol: .

S!

You're suffering from a placebo effect. :smartass:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

You're suffering from a placebo effect. :smartass:
Maybe, but changes has been happening since quite a time now, just small ones not even noted in the changelog, but those are there. Nineline said somewhere some minor problems comes from that indeed since new DM code is already in the installation for closed external testing but only enabled in small things though those can conflict with old DM. So placebo might it be, yeah, but it's there :thumbup: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Agree, there's definitely bits of a new DM in there somewhere I think.

I was up in the Spitfire over the channel map on a WW2 server yesterday, I did a couple of flights and got damaged on both occasions. First was hits to the engine and I lost most but not all prop pitch control, not like it used to be when the Spitfire was first released where every time you got hit off went the prop governor. This was different and I managed to nurse the old girl back to base.

Second flight I got hit in the right wing and aileron. The aileron was flapping about all over the place and the stick in the cockpit was vibrating like crazy with my poor old virtual pilot holding on tight!, it looked great in VR. The vibration got worse the higher the speed I flew, which would make sense. Again I got back to base, but that's the first time I've experienced that particular damage issue.

So yeah I think there are bits being added all the time. I guess Nineline will come along soon, read this and blow my theory out of the water by stating nothing has changed! lol.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

It is no placebo, it is fact that elements from the new DM are activated currently in the OB. One amazing new effect is the control surface disturbance when damaged, and the control surface control impressively affected by damage. Let alone the flat tires engine issues vibrations and the list goes on.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S