Modified files in CoreMods......MODS are no longer supported?!

So....I've got a rather extensively modified install of Open Beta 2.5.6.

I use OVGME and have all of mods well documented as to where the changes are. I've integrated many popular mods like the Blue Angels equipment etc.

My process for updates to DCS are;

1. Remove all mods

2. Perform the update.

3. Verify any files changed that are used in my mods.

4. Modify the current version of the files with the content of my mods.

5. Test.

Today....I discovered that any file that's modified that resides under the CoreMods folder such as, oh I don't know, F-16C.lua, FA-18C.lua, aircraft weapons pack lua's will cause an entry in your DCS log file that reads like this:

2020-05-21 00:55:31.234 INFO Scripting: plugin: SKIPPED 'SA342 AI by Polychop-Simulations': not authorized

Note the "not authorized".

Then, as an awesome added bonus, said mod no longer works in DCS. All of my missions with F-14's, 16's or 18's have them replaced with A-10's. And...the module aircraft ARE NOT SELECTABLE.

So....if you want to use ANY MOD that changes these file. You don't get to use the latest open beta that includes the Super Carrier.

I confirmed by removing the mods that alter these files and then the log file is clean, and the aircraft are available.

I mean....if ED doesn't want to allow any modification any longer, just come out and SAY SO.

I mean what the actual FRACK?!

I don't know if this is intentional, or if there is a work around. No mater what this bites the big one.

Can others confirm or deny my findings?

Thank you.

*EDIT* They do not work when installed under the saved games folder. As before, any such files in CoreMods are ignored in your saved games. So, if this was an accident. A HOT FIX IS NEEDED YESTERDAY. If this was intentional, I've never seen a poorer example of customer service and communication. I sincerely hope it was accidental and a fix is forthcoming. Rolling back to 2.5.6.47404. I never got to see the Super Carrier, so all I'm out is $35 so far. That may mean I NEVER buy another module if I can't go past 2.5.6.47404.

*SECOND EDIT* See post #35

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4342874&postcount=35

Edited by Nightstorm

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm this. I tried to do the same thing to update my mods. And when i tried to load them the game wont load any modified aircraft, and when i try to launch a mission even without modified aircraft in it the game just CTDs.

Edited by Isenderen
grammar

And i would recommend changing the title to something along the lines of "Mods no longer possible?"

ED as far as iv'e seen has never supported mods. They've just been possible with the way the game is programmed.

Looks like ED is finally taking a stance on modding though.

Well, I don't know if it change the title or not, and not that it really matters. I mean, they have this very section of the forums we're posting in. If in fact they were not "condoned" why would it be here? There are lots of mods and lots of people that use them.

Folks have invested countless hours into creating mods. Take the Blue Angels Equipment mod for example. For ED to just arbitrarily decide to eliminate the possibility to use such mods without any notice or warning or option is in my opinion criminal.

They took my money for the Super Carrier module. No where in the release notes does is say, "Oh by the way, if you were using mods, too bad." If they did this on purpose it should have be BOLD FACE CAPITALIZED on the update notes. Like everything, this is just my opinion. I own two copies of EVERY module they've ever released, every single thing. Stand alone and Steam so that I can have a backup or a second copy that can be shared. This is not the way a loyal customer wants to be treated.

Well i "hope" they will fix it on june 3rd, and that its all a big misunderstanding :/

But Views.lua on Hornet and Viper has been disabled for few months already and was disabling plane selection and now Coremodes Lua's, (TF-51.Lua was disabled from the start) are doing the same, what's next, all mods? at the end we might only get E D approved liveries,

Edited by Garuda01

Well i "hope" they will fix it on june 3rd, and that its all a big misunderstanding :/

But Views.lua on Hornet and Viper has been disabled for few months already and was disabling plane selection and now Coremodes Lua's, (TF-51.Lua was disabled from the start) are doing the same, what's next, all mods? at the end we might only get E D approved liveries,

I hope so too. Regarding the views. Yea, that bit me too when it happened but there's a way around it.

You can modify the files Server.lua located in your <Saved Game>Config\View folder.

That one still works and you can set up views again.

See attached. Changes are tagged --NIGHTSTORM in the file.

Server.lua

Just an interesting find, I had the same problem, with the FA-18C.lua. Initially, I thought that a function had changed behind the scenes, making one of my modifications incompatible. So I started reverting, until all that was different was one number (afterburner length from 4 to 5). Still didn't work. Then, I reverted again and my modified lua file was identical to the original one. And then it worked.

So it seems that DCS doesn't have a problem with the fact that the file was modified, but with the fact that the contents are different than the default ones. Like it's checking the values and not the file authenticity itself. Which is very strange, in my opinion, since the whole point of that LUA file is to supply certain values and the values shouldn't really affect anything, as long as they're acceptable values.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Just an interesting find, I had the same problem, with the FA-18C.lua. Initially, I thought that a function had changed behind the scenes, making one of my modifications incompatible. So I started reverting, until all that was different was one number (afterburner length from 4 to 5). Still didn't work. Then, I reverted again and my modified lua file was identical to the original one. And then it worked.

So it seems that DCS doesn't have a problem with the fact that the file was modified, but with the fact that the contents are different than the default ones. Like it's checking the values and not the file authenticity itself. Which is very strange, in my opinion, since the whole point of that LUA file is to supply certain values and the values shouldn't really affect anything, as long as they're acceptable values.

Interesting indeed. I noticed that both in the current release and the previous that the DCS log contained entries like these:

2020-05-21 01:27:25.132 ERROR SECURITYCONTROL: Manifest size check failed for file './Scripts/Database/db_countries.lua'

2020-05-21 01:27:25.138 ERROR SECURITYCONTROL: Manifest size check failed for file './Scripts/Database/troops/USA.lua'

2020-05-21 01:27:25.142 ERROR SECURITYCONTROL: Manifest size check failed for file './Scripts/Database/troops/Norway.lua'

Those are from the Logbook/USN Logbook mod for example.

Now those were there before and after. It's only the new "skipped...not authorized" messages that seem to be the key. I don't know why that change was implemented but as you stated it's evidently checking those files against the stock files and if any value is changed it skips loading the module. The control configurations were still present for the F-16C for example, but the plane wasn't useable.

There's a modified F-15C.lua in my config but it's not located in CoreMods, so it still worked. It's in Scripts\Database\Planes. I've not tried copying a modified lua into that folder but I doubt that'd work.

All mods need to be in the /Saved Games/ Folder and not the DCS Main Program folder.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

All mods need to be in the /Saved Games/ Folder and not the DCS Main Program folder.

That'd be great if they worked there.

How do you get the game to recognize modified LUA files that reside in the CoreMods folder?

Until today, they would only work if you modified them under the main install folder. I've tested placing a mod in the saved games using the exact same folder structure and it's simply ignored.

Please tell me if there is another way, or another file structure to use. I would be ecstatic.

Let's take an example and say you want to modify the F/A-18's available ammo types to be the same as the F-16C. It's the same gun right? So that should be legal.

The modified file resides here Main Folder\\CoreMods\aircraft\FA-18C\FA-18C.lua

Search for "ammo_type" and replace it with this:

ammo_type ={

_("HEI-T High Explosive Incendiary-Tracer"),

_("HEI High Explosive Incendiary"),

_("AP Armor Piercing"),

_("TP Target Practice-Tracer"),

_("SAPHEI High Explosive Armor Piercing PGU"),

_("TP Target Practice-Tracer PGU"),

},

Now try to fly the F18 in DCS. Nope.

Now copy that modified LUA file to the same path under saved games and restore the original under main folder. It just ignores the changes.

Is there another way?

Like Nightstorm said, the saved games folder doesn't work for LUA edits to add available weapons for example. Unless if were all missing something. But if that's the case, please shed some light on the situation. It would be very helpful, especially for people like me that are just now getting into DCS modding recently and don't know much about how to do things.

I understand there is some complexity to this issue, but I really hope this was an accidental hold over from testing and not an indication of how ED will be treating mods going forward. If so this is definitely eating the seed corn.

I mean....if ED doesn't want to allow any modification any longer, just come out and SAY SO.

They did. Many times. But people kept changing files in the main directory.:music_whistling:

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

They did. Many times. But people kept changing files in the main directory.:music_whistling:
I don't get the issue with it though, from their perspective. There's IC for MP, so that guarantees no LUA edits in CoreMods and a level playing field.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

I don't get the issue with it though, from their perspective. There's IC for MP, so that guarantees no LUA edits in CoreMods and a level playing field.

Their actions lately have nothing to do with multiplayer integrity check. It's more to do with both preventing theft and the flooding of people with modded installs filling their support inbox because their sim keeps crashing.

We were basically warned multiple times to only use saved games directory, but everyone kept modding the base files simply because it was possible. Now it no longer is.

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Their actions lately have nothing to do with multiplayer integrity check. It's more to do with both preventing theft and the flooding of people with modded installs filling their support inbox because their sim keeps crashing.

We were basically warned multiple times to only use saved games directory, but everyone kept modding the base files simply because it was possible. Now it no longer is.

I can understand the bit about the support, it always drives me crazy when I see someone complain that something isn't working, only to find out that they run mods or haven't bothered to run a repair.

But the bit about theft makes little sense, with respect to the CoreMods folder and the lua. I'd understand if they encrypted the 3d models or even the textures (ED, please don't, texture modding is half of my fun in DCS), I get why they encrypted the sounds, for example. But lua files are mostly just parameters, like what weapons are available, gun ammo selection, lights, exhaust and afterburner effect stuff, some animation arguments etc. Even in the Mods folder, it's mostly just about what text is shown and when, in the DDIs, HUD etc, what color it is, as well as some parameters for some systems. But none of these things are worth stealing, because the real system modeling is not there.

-

But lua files are mostly just parameters...

True, it kind of doesn't make sense, but my guess is in the end it is to prevent malicious (and just bad) code from being executed. The result for the other part is less labor put into diagnosing sim issues for people.

True, it kind of doesn't make sense, but my guess is in the end it is to prevent malicious (and just bad) code from being executed. The result for the other part is less labor put into diagnosing sim issues for people.
If someone stupidly runs code off of the internet without checking it first, it's their problem and ED carries no responsibility for that, at all. That's fundamental stuff and anyone who blindly installs weird stuff have only themselves to blame.

I'd like an answer from ED on this unannounced change and what it means for the future of modding in DCS. If they deny access to Bazar or Mods/.../Scripts and Mods/.../Textures for example, that's pretty much it for most mods. Again, not everything works from Saved Games. For example, I added a custom roughmet texture for the DDI glass cover in the F-18, so it actually looks like glass. Because the texture is not present at all by default, it can't be used from Saved Games. And even if it could, you can't change anything if you don't have access to the original file.

-