Modified files in CoreMods......MODS are no longer supported?!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! i can have again my boarding ladder extended/retracted with the Blue Angels mod!

Best wishes,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Am I understanding correctly that mods have been restored to the save game folder? I tried it with my F-86.lua and MiG-15bis.lua in my Beta install and I think it worked. I thought I had less barrel heat in my guns by what I saw from the cockpit. (and put in the file) Also, has airbase behavior been improved as a result of supercarrier updates? It seems my #2 wingman did an immediate rejoin call when my plane touched down in echelon formation. He was too far off to land and I haven't done this much but in most of my flying the past few weeks like this, #2 says nothing. He also called an RTB which I usually have to give him on my own. Curious, because the thread above is not entirely clear after 10 pages. Also got another dive kill by roping the MiG transonic behind me. Popped my speed brake at about 380 kts and pulled out. Mig kept going. Boom.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Thanks Nightstorm!

Does that include the Open Beta version. And does the manifest file still appear?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

While on the subject of modding lua files,

While most core mod files have been UN-locked,

None of the WW II aircraft are.

Before this action was taken, I could Spawn the Spit, Stang and all others on deck.

Used with carrier mods, WW II pacific battles become possible! And with the new Island map, A whole new avenue of missions become available.

Please consider this request.

The bin folder files need not be UN-locked.

(although this would open up flyable WW II mods again if done)

Just the main lua files.

A small edit is all that is needed to allow carrier spawning.

Thanks for considering this request.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I have to agree with that, some guys spent a lot of time creating Japanese Zero skins for the Fw190-A8 and added carrier capability in the lua, which was then encoded and can no longer be adjusted. Thats a great shame because being able to edit the lua, and I only mean the lua, was a considerable asset to the game. I'm not sure what you achieve by encoding just some of the WW2 lua's and not all of them, or is that the intention in the long term ?

Thanks Nightstorm!

Does that include the Open Beta version. And does the manifest file still appear?

The OB version released on 5/20 is the version that locked down the lua files in Coremods. The OB hotfix on 5/26 relaxed the restriction and allowed modified lua files again.

Yes the dcs_manifest.x86_64 still appears in root folder.

Thanks Nightstorm. I confirmed and have gone back to tweaking. I left the folders clean with only the modded file and saved the originals elsewhere. I figured this would keep the manifest file happy.

And for the Sabre fans out there, muzzle velocity for the M3s at 890 m/s is the sweet spot. Do both M2 and M20 APIT in the shell_table.lua. This actually was not effected like the aircraft files but still, it makes a big difference. You can also tweak the effective range for the Sabre out to 2000 m. This is very cool when e fighting in loops. Supersonic 50 rounds keep the MiGs honest over the top.

Thanks for the fix! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I went through all this topic.

Ok, so we can't mod .luas till ED allow us. There is a fix, but I my mod not working anymore, pls help.

db_countries.lua : I can't add my units, names, patches, strips, rank names. Why this is restricted?

countr.lua : I can't mod ranking system speed. It's way to fast for me. I preffer spending more time on unlocking next ranks.

I placed db_countries.lua and countr.lua in Core and then in Savegame via OvGME - no effect. DCS is ignoring my files. Please fix this.

Thank you.

The OB version released on 5/20 is the version that locked down the lua files in Coremods. The OB hotfix on 5/26 relaxed the restriction and allowed modified lua files again.

Yes the dcs_manifest.x86_64 still appears in root folder.

Is there a way to use aircraft.lua mods in the stable version again?

Edited by B@ron

Hotfix not working if you try to edit DCSWorld\Scripts\Database\ *.lua files.

Even if I drop my mod through Save Game\Scripts\Database\ *.lua, files are not affected.

This issue only affected the CoreMods folder of the main install.

However, I'm using the Logbooks mod for US Navy and that works just fine. I'm also using extended callsigns and that works just fine. At least on the OB.

I was doing some test with mod: Logbook Improvements and USN/USMC for DCS World 2.5.6 and later by Home Fries Date from 30.05.2020 12:56

I'll dig some more. Thx for your rep Nightstorm.

EDIT:

File db_countries.lua was updated in a May, I had to do some editing on this new version of it in my mod again.

All is good now but only when installing to DCSWorld folder.

I can't make it to work through Saved Games folder.

Installed via OvGME to location Saved Games like this:

Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Database\db_countries.lua -- overwrite a file;

Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Database\Troops\Poland.lua -- add a new file;

I see files are present in right Saved Games tree folders, but DCS is ignoring those and installing in that way is not working for me.

What I doing wrong here?

Edited by Glow

There was a hotfix on 5/26 to OB that allowed it to work again. As far as I know, that code should be in the stable 2.5.6 as well as the OB and modding should work normally.

Nope. If I replace any of the aircraft.lua files in the CoreMods folder in stable 2.5.6 by a modded one, DCS doesn't read it (=> in the mission editor a A10 will be shown instead of the modded aircraft). The aircraft.lua file that came with 2.5.6 is encrypted or compiled someway.

Or does it only work with any modding program like OvGME?

Nope. If I replace any of the aircraft.lua files in the CoreMods folder in stable 2.5.6 by a modded one, DCS doesn't read it (=> in the mission editor a A10 will be shown instead of the modded aircraft). The aircraft.lua file that came with 2.5.6 is encrypted or compiled someway.

Or does it only work with any modding program like OvGME?

Well the stable version is 2.5.6.49798 and that's the same version of the Open Beta that I'm using. I decided not to use the last OB due to the problems introduced on the Viper.

I can tell you that mods are indeed working with 2.5.6.49798 Open Beta. The stable was released on 5/28. The patch was released on 5/26 that reenabled modding of lua files in the coremods folder.

Maybe that hotfix didn't make it to the stable code branch despite the same version number? I can't say, I don't run stable as I found there was little point. You don't have to update to every OB that comes out if you don't want to, and if Stable and Open Beta have the same version numbers and are released within a week of each other, is there really much of a difference?

In this case, my advice would be to switch to Open Beta 2.5.6.49798. It works.

Beyond that, hopefully the devs will see this post and consider fixing it for the next stable release, whenever that may be.

Ok, thanks so far. Then I'll consider switching to OB.

When/if you do install the OB it will likely install that latest version, which currently is 2.5.6.50321.

That version introduced the P47 and the Channel map but also multiple issues on the Viper. If you want to run the same version as Stable for now, you'll need to change the shortcut for "Revert DCS World OpenBeta to this: "X:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update 2.5.6.49798@openbeta

X of course being whatever drive/location you have DCS installed to.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
When/if you do install the OB it will likely install that latest version, which currently is 2.5.6.50321.

That version introduced the P47 and the Channel map but also multiple issues on the Viper. If you want to run the same version as Stable for now, you'll need to change the shortcut for "Revert DCS World OpenBeta to this: "X:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update 2.5.6.49798@openbeta

X of course being whatever drive/location you have DCS installed to.

Good luck.

'

Thanks for all the efforts put by you and the community to highlight a major issue very nicely. Thanks to the E.D team for efforts to listen to us. Now questions,

My last build of the game was 2.5.6.497 before i updated to the latest and mods were unbable to use FC3,

1. if i revert again now, do i need to remove mods from savedgames folder too?

2. I got mods of only skins in my main directory, do i need to delete them too. and

3. how much time am i looking at for reverting? the full game length of time? COz i just did downloads and installs past 2 days non stop with my rusty pc.

Dav-Pak-BlackSpider

While on the subject of modding lua files,

While most core mod files have been UN-locked,

None of the WW II aircraft are.

Before this action was taken, I could Spawn the Spit, Stang and all others on deck.

Used with carrier mods, WW II pacific battles become possible! And with the new Island map, A whole new avenue of missions become available.

Please consider this request.

The bin folder files need not be UN-locked.

(although this would open up flyable WW II mods again if done)

Just the main lua files.

A small edit is all that is needed to allow carrier spawning.

Thanks for considering this request.

:pilotfly: Priority 1000.

Dav-Pak-BlackSpider

'

Thanks for all the efforts put by you and the community to highlight a major issue very nicely. Thanks to the E.D team for efforts to listen to us. Now questions,

My last build of the game was 2.5.6.497 before i updated to the latest and mods were unbable to use FC3,

1. if i revert again now, do i need to remove mods from savedgames folder too?

2. I got mods of only skins in my main directory, do i need to delete them too. and

3. how much time am i looking at for reverting? the full game length of time? COz i just did downloads and installs past 2 days non stop with my rusty pc.

Typically, you don't have to remove mods from your saved games folder, as anything there will override what's in the main folder. Now that doesn't guarantee that they'll work or won't cause additional problems with a new release. So as with anything, test.

Skins/Liveries in the main folder, I always remove mine and everything for that matter from the main before an update, so I don't know. I use OvGME for that. Worst case, after the update they'll get moved to a new location in your install folder and you could move them back I guess.

Reverting should take less time than doing a full install, but another option to consider is having two installs. This is what I've done. I installed the stable release which is the build 2.5.6.49798 and I installed Open Beta. You don't have update the Stable and can leave it where it is and run anything that used FC3 DLL files just as before. Of course it will never have any new content past that point. But, that's what the second install of OB would be for. Keep the stable copy for the old stuff and OB for the new stuff. If space is an issue, then you'll have to make a choice until it isn't.