Are there Still Performance Issues?

JovenTroll

Hello, i am just making this to know if there are still the bad performance Issues for VR (or at least for a lot of the users like me) because i saw nothing specifically related to that in the Changelogs of the last updates and i stoped playing since then (nearly 2 months now) so i am just checking if this is still an Issue and if there is some feedback about advances in that direction or something like that.

Hello, i am just making this to know if there are still the bad performance Issues for VR (or at least for a lot of the users like me) because i saw nothing specifically related to that in the Changelogs of the last updates and i stoped playing since then (nearly 2 months now) so i am just checking if this is still an Issue and if there is some feedback about advances in that direction or something like that.

In general, yes, there are still performance issues. Then again, although they might be a little more severe than before, I think there will always be performance issues. That's coherent to DCS evolving and improving.

However since this last patch (2.5.6.49314 Open Beta), I personally see a substantial improvement to my framerates at to the previous OB version. To give you an idea..

Results of two missions I always used to test my framerates:

• Instant Action F-16 cold and dark PG: max.30fps on previous version --> Now 36-40fps
  • Self made (heavy) test mission in caucasus: max.26fps on previous version --> Now ±34fps

Disclaimer:

Obviously everything is very dependent on everybody's system specs, in-game settings and SteamVR-settings.

Edit:

I see another 8 to 10 additional fps, when I set shadows from low to off.

(Shadow did always have quite some impact, but I've never seen it result in this much)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

We are still far from 2.5.5 level of performance... we might never get back to it

Problably not, and that means that people that wants to fly, can't fly without getting sick, and thats not a "minor bug". Even more, when on the "10 things about DCS you should know" says that supports VR beautifully. It's supported? Let's say yes, "beautifully" not exactly...

I think i'm getting better performance although that's not scientific. Some planes seems way worse than others same with maps.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Thanks for the feedback. It is really sad. I was very happy with the performance in 2.5.5. My system can handle it with no problem at all, i have a high end pc with modern hardware, but the frame drops and load times increase with 2.5.6 were so bad (even disabling ASW and shadows and doing a full reinstall of the sim) that i is just imposible to fly under that conditions. I have not make a single flight since then, it is the same as with simracing, once you have tried it on VR, you never want to come back again to the screen. I hope it gets solved soon because i really want to be in the skies again. It is so unfair that VR is still not taken seriously taking into account how much has the tech advanced...

Thanks for the feedback. It is really sad. I was very happy with the performance in 2.5.5. My system can handle it with no problem at all, i have a high end pc with modern hardware, but the frame drops and load times increase with 2.5.6 were so bad (even disabling ASW and shadows and doing a full reinstall of the sim) that i is just imposible to fly under that conditions. I have not make a single flight since then, it is the same as with simracing, once you have tried it on VR, you never want to come back again to the screen. I hope it gets solved soon because i really want to be in the skies again. It is so unfair that VR is still not taken seriously taking into account how much has the tech advanced...

Did you actually try the recent update?

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I have noticed an issue where my fps can go up to 90fps but as low as 30 fps. Making a stuttery and natious experience.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I stopped flying in December due to a family member becoming ill. Then DCS was flying beautifully. Since starting flying in May 2020 DCS is crashing in MP - it is unusable - and even when setting my graphics settings to low (they were high in Dec) the performance sucks.

I deleted my shader files, and had kept updating DCS regularly in anticipation of getting back to it.

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

Because of the COVID pandemic I hadn't been playing until recently (a frontliner). The super carrier is causing a lot of bog down in performance for me, especially after a long session of play (like an hour)--also reported on Reddit's forum. I'm seeing huge FPS drop (stuttering) on the carrier during deck crew animations prior to take off, also have this with 4KTV setup which is much less taxing than VR. The graphics and crew animations are great, but the performance not so much.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Co-incident with the last Open Beta , I have been commissioning a new build . So I can't really address relative performance . What i can say is that i'm having a very smooth experience low over Batumi while using Mav-F's and a Tpod with the Hornet . Better , in fact , than with a slick Hornet low in the same area with the old system (6500 and 16gb 2133 ram) and 2.55 . Much smoother taxiing in a highly-populated Kholki as well .

I have been very aggressive with tuning Windows , DCS , Oculus and Nvidea settings for max performance as part of the commissioning . Perhaps that and clean installs have played a part .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2