HUD question about judging bank angle...

Spirit X

At the bottom of the HUD we have those markers for bank angle with the carat that rotates. Does anyone know what number of degrees those markers represent?

I'm guessing they're either 5 or 10 degree marks but I'm not sure which.

At the bottom of the HUD we have those markers for bank angle with the carat that rotates. Does anyone know what number of degrees those markers represent?

I'm guessing they're either 5 or 10 degree marks but I'm not sure which.

For this version:

In Nav mode

The HUD roll indicator displays tics are spaced 10 degrees apart except for the outer tics, which are spaced at 45 degrees. The tics are body stabilized; the caret roll is stabilized within the limits of the display. The display is limited to ±45 degrees with the outer part of the caret disappearing as the aircraft is rolled less than 45 degrees; the caret will be on a line through the center of arc, perpendicular to local level. The roll indicator is generally displayed when the pitch ladder is displayed but is not displayed under the following conditions:

- In dogfight, with ammunition loaded in the gun.

- DED or PFLD data is displayed on the HUD.

- FPM bank indicators are displayed

- INS data is invalid

Air to Ground modes

The bank angle indicators consist of two 5 mr tics drawn to represent 60 degrees of bank with dots drawn at 15 degree intervals except at 0 degrees. The bank angle indicators are horizon stabilized and caged to the FPM. The wings of the FPM are used as pointers against the bank angle indicators. The bank angle indicators are displayed whenever the FPM is displayed and the vertical velocity scale is selected.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Thanks very much, that's useful info.

It does remind me of something else I was trying to find though: when I select VV/VAH for the HUD, I see absolutely no difference between that and the switch's centre position of VAH only. Is the Vertical Velocity simply not modeled on the HUD yet?

Could you post a track showing the problem? It will be easier to tell what you mean and easier to see if you are doing something wrong.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Sorry, don't think I was very clear about that.

I'm talking about the highlighted switch in the pic below which controls the HUD tapes. Top position is marked as 'VV VAH' and should show Vertical Velocity (VV), as well as Velocity, Altidude and Heading tapes (VAH).

When in middle position, marked as 'VAH', it just shows Velocity, Altitude and Heading tapes, without the Vertical Velocity.

Problem is, when I select the 'VV VAH' position of the switch, the HUD looks identical to the VAH position.

My question is, is the 'VV' part of the 'VV VAH' position actually modelled. Do you guys see anything different on the HUD when you select it?

VV-VAH.jpg

I'm talking about the highlighted switch in the pic below which controls the HUD tapes. Top position is marked as 'VV VAH' and should show Vertical Velocity (VV), as well as Velocity, Altidude and Heading tapes (VAH).

When in middle position, marked as 'VAH', it just shows Velocity, Altitude and Heading tapes, without the Vertical Velocity.

Problem is, when I select the 'VV VAH' position of the switch, the HUD looks identical to the VAH position.

My question is, is the 'VV' part of the 'VV VAH' position actually modelled. Do you guys see anything different on the HUD when you select it?

VV-VAH.jpg

I'm hoping for this as well. I have the USAF ACC Heritage Maneuvers Package, and for the F-16 it states that as a technique for the high-alpha pass, vertical velocity should be displayed on the HUD so the maneuver can be flown with minimal climb/descent. But the switch in the 'pit doesn't do anything yet, so my virtual airshows are looking a little sloppier than need-be on that maneuver.

Edit: Come to think of it, I don't seem to remember it working in the "other" sim either, but I'm really hoping it gets included in our Viper at some point.

Edited by Jetguy06

Edit: Come to think of it, I don't seem to remember it working in the "other" sim either, but I'm really hoping it gets included in our Viper at some point.

Yeah I can confirm it has never been modeled in BMS either. I'm looking forward to this too (just coz I'm a naff pilot and the more basic info is in the hud the happier I am!).

-S

VV-VAH.jpg

I had quite a time trying to figure out (on my own) just what the "W" stood for.

A thousand hours on Falcon 4 a decade ago just wasn't enough to remember.

The joke is on me because the switch labelling is incorrect.

I think it should be VV/VAH for Vertical Velocity / Velocity Altitude Heading.

From the Lockheed Manual ...

https://info.publicintelligence.net/HAF-F16.pdf

Page 1-15.

See attached.

rRapier

53527384_HudControl.png.bc06cb325dd0855f171fe912799b1a57.png

Edited by rrapier

I had quite a time trying to figure out (on my own) just what the "W" stood for.

A thousand hours on Falcon 4 a decade ago just wasn't enough to remember.

The joke is on me because the switch labelling is incorrect.

I think it should be VV/VAH for Vertical Velocity / Velocity Altitude Heading.

From the Lockheed Manual ...

https://info.publicintelligence.net/HAF-F16.pdf

Page 1-15.

See attached.

rRapier

Good find! Suggest you make a bug post about it in the bug section of the forum.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 3 months later...