Improvement Idea: Default to high priority process for DCS.exe

Hi,

Many of us who fiddle a bit more with computers know DCS runs smoother when it is adjusted to have a higher than normal priority in the Windows task manager. Currently the DCS launcher, effectively DCS_updater.exe invokes DCS.exe with normal process priority, hence a user is required to manually intervene to increase the process priority to enable a smoother gaming experience.

One can create a custom shortcut, such as that below assuming a d:\ DCS install, to invoke DCS.exe with high process priority:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "DCS" /high "D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe"

(Note to other users, using DCS.exe directly skips the DCS update check but I couldn't find a way of using DCS_Updater.exe while carrying across the high priority invocation. I don't believe this is possible as a user.)

However, I think if ED could implement a revised shortcut / DCS_Updater.exe invocation to include this elevated process priority as standard for all DCS installs it would improve users' SP and MP experience. Potentially free performance improvement!

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but search didn't bring back any results.

UPDATE: The Regedit way of assigning priority to processes is arguably the better method if you are comfortable editing the registry, see posts below for details

Edited by Sideburns
Corrections
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

+1 here.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

You can set this permanently quite easily with a small registry addition.

• Start regedit
  • Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\
  • Add key DCS.exe
  • Below the new key DCS.exe, add key PerfOptions
  • Add DWORD CpuPriorityClass and set the value to 3 (priority high)
  • Close regedit

DCS.exe will now always have cpu high priority, regardless of how it's started (directly or via updater).

Here's a summary of the registry addition:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\PROCESSNAME.EXE\PerfOptions]
 "CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000003

Maybe I shall add: It's a totally safe registry edit, but you should know what you're doing before you start editing the registry.

Edited by currenthill
Added disclaimer
  • Like 2

You can set this permanently quite easily with a small registry addition.

• Start regedit
  • Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\
  • Add key DCS.exe
  • Below the new key DCS.exe, add key PerfOptions
  • Add DWORD CpuPriorityClass and set the value to 3 (priority high)
  • Close regedit

DCS.exe will now always have cpu high priority, regardless of how it's started (directly or via updater).

Here's a summary of the registry addition:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\PROCESSNAME.EXE\PerfOptions]
 "CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000003

Maybe I shall add: It's a totally safe registry edit, but you should know what you're doing before you start editing the registry.

Aye, another way of doing this which means you can use the normal shortcut with the registry edit. Whichever way I think for the good of all DCS players if ED implemented it as part of the standard install. I suspect a lot of MP jitters are down to people's machines struggling and stuttering.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

• 2 weeks later...
No go for me, get random crashes...
Not entirely sure why this priority change would cause crashes. I would suggest checking the stability of your overclock, prime95, memtest etc.

Feedback after using it for about a month: works fine, no hardware crashes or similar.

But of course I am carefully watching temperatures ... 4.4 GHz seems good for winter usage, but now summer is on the way approaching the middle of Europe ... damn :D

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 1 year later...

Can it be set to Realtime? or is high the max this can go?

EDIT:

did some digging..

"CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000006

1 Idle
2 Normal
3 High
4 RealTime (n.a.)
5 Below Normal
6 Above Normal

Cannot set RealTime with this value, only with Task Manager.

and also confirm this woks for dcs dedicated server too!! much happy

Edited by PSYKOnz
  • Like 2

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

• 1 year later...