VR MSAA mask?

VC

No difference in FPS for now anyways.

0.10 small area antialiased

1.0 whole area antialised

I reccomend turn off AA and get used to the bad look to enjoy the higher FPS

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Most everyone seems to think bigger is larger area in MSAA and smaller is only small area in the middle. Which makes sense but would be nice to confirm as I honestly don't see any difference.

Yep, don’t know why we don’t get an answer from ED on this. Several requests have been made in various threads by no response.

Btw, I can’t see any difference either!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

0.10 small area antialiased

1.0 whole area antialised

Agree.

No difference in FPS for now anyways.

I reccomend turn off AA and get used to the bad look to enjoy the higher FPS

Disagree.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4341829&postcount=499

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Yeah... I'm not seeing any visible difference with the mask size...

If I change my settings to Pixel Density of 0.8 and MSAA of 4x you should see a pretty substaintial difference between the centre of your view and anything outside the mask.

With the MSAA mask set to 0.5 it shouldn't matter if it's bigger or smaller with whatever setting - I can't see a single pixel of difference.

I mean, you should literally be able to draw a cirlcle where you can see the difference in MSAA.

I am 99% sure that the MSAA mask is making no difference, and if anyone can prove it does in a framerate side I've been unable to SEE any difference so might as well be put on 0.1.

Yeah... I'm not seeing any visible difference with the mask size...

If I change my settings to Pixel Density of 0.8 and MSAA of 4x you should see a pretty substaintial difference between the centre of your view and anything outside the mask.

With the MSAA mask set to 0.5 it shouldn't matter if it's bigger or smaller with whatever setting - I can't see a single pixel of difference.

I mean, you should literally be able to draw a cirlcle where you can see the difference in MSAA.

I am 99% sure that the MSAA mask is making no difference, and if anyone can prove it does in a framerate side I've been unable to SEE any difference so might as well be put on 0.1.

If you want to see a difference and you have the ka-50, go to the instant action mission beslan takeoff, and use the cockpit shinies and truck out of the right window to test. (turning shadows off will probably help).

I believe it should be a rectangle, not a circle, and difference is not as marked as you suggest.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

If you want to see a difference and you have the ka-50, go to the instant action mission beslan takeoff, and use the cockpit shinies and truck out of the right window to test. (turning shadows off will probably help).

I believe it should be a rectangle, not a circle, and difference is not as marked as you suggest.

Cheers hippo, I don't have the KA-50 - you got any suggestions of where I might see it on the F18?

I don't have shadows on (like many of us in VR I too and pushing for those frames!)

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying disprove you or something, I'm honestly just trying to find out how to make it work, or if it works.

So can you help me understand that if you believe it should be a rectangle, then why can't I see any change in the MSAA in your images that have that kind of change within a rectangle in the view?

Why shouldn't the change be as much as I suggest? MSAA has a pretty direct relationship to image quality in the example I posted (https://i.imgur.com/mef1kY6.jpg) and heres some images that back up my understanding of what's going on - how do you suggest the changes should look?

attachment.php?attachmentid=177559&stc=1&d=1517600215

EDIT: Wait, I had a look through your other threads - are you using SteamVR? I'm on an Oclus Rift CV1. I can easily see the difference between no MSAA and 4xMSAA normally.

Edited by RoyMi6

Cheers hippo, I don't have the KA-50 - you got any suggestions of where I might see it on the F18?

I don't have shadows on either. I find shadows do a good job of hiding jaggies in the cockpit (but not in the scenery), so having shadows off only makes them more evident.

So can you help me understand that if you believe it should be a rectangle, then why can't I see any change in the MSAA in your images that have that kind of change within a rectangle in the view?

Why shouldn't the change be as much as I suggest? MSAA has a pretty direct relationship to image quality in the example I posted (https://i.imgur.com/mef1kY6.jpg) and heres some images that back up my understanding of what's going on - how do you suggest the changes should look?

EDIT: Wait, I had a look through your other threads - are you using SteamVR? I'm on an Oclus Rift CV1. I can easily see the difference between no MSAA and 4xMSAA normally.

I don't have shadows either.

I'm using a Rift-S, but not Steam.

I agree, it's hard to see on screenshots. What I see in the HMD are shimmering jagged edges, most noticeable with slight head movements (i.e. always), which are not as evident on screenshots.

It is particularly easy to see with cockpit edges when they catch the light and shine - the ka-50 mission is the only stock mission I can think of now that does this. But it's not the only way.

I suggest you set AA to 2x in the main options and the mask to 0.1 in VR options, then fly near a Caucasus city int the f-18 (~2nm), at around 2000ft. A restart of DCS is necessary for the changes to take effect. The shimmering jaggies are extremely evident on buildings. You should see that AA is working in the centre of your field of view, but you will see the usual shimmering jaggies around outside of your fov.

That's what I see, anyway.

Edited by Hippo