Why do we have to use a beta(Steam) build to use Suppercarrier?

truebrit

So I bought SC and realised I have to switch to beta, so I did, now DCS will not start. I see from forums I'm not alone, any fixes? Also, anyone know when we can use SC in stable build? I thought that would be the case with full release.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, still getting to grips with DCS.

=Steam version=

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Everything is released into the Open Beta version first, before going over to the Stable version. This allows the developers to work out major bugs that might have slipped internal testing, before pushing it to Stable.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Ok, so early access is different from beta? Do we know when it's out of early access?

Cause its early access and that is the only way to use it as of now.

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Ah, ok cheers.

Everything is released into the Open Beta version first, before going over to the Stable version. This allows the developers to work out major bugs that might have slipped internal testing, before pushing it to Stable.

Ok, so early access is different from beta? Do we know when it's out of early access?
Early Access (EA) is a module specific term, it means that the module is not feature complete and is under active development. After the module becomes feature complete, it'll exit Early Access, with perhaps only small additions to be made down the line.

Open Beta (OB) and Stable are platform wide terms. There is a Stable branch, which is the official release version of DCS and there is the OB branch, that is often one or more game versions ahead of Stable.

The purpose of Open OB is to receive updates, features and modules sooner, so they can be used for public testing purposes, before being pushed to Stable. If an OB version proves to work particularly well, it's normally pushed to Stable and the two branches are on the same version until the next OB update drops.

So you can have an EA product on Stable. Example, the F-18 is in EA, but it's available on Stable.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Early Access (EA) is a module specific term, it means that the module is not feature complete and is under active development. After the module becomes feature complete, it'll exit Early Access, with perhaps only small additions to be made down the line

To be honest, i don't think this is correct, given the fact that there is a very long list of items to be added to the Hornet after it will leave EA by the end of this year (at least that's what is communicated as planned)..

Saying that, i wouldn't be able to define what EA means in ED terms, something different every time it pops up? That being said, i could care less about which is called what as long as i know the modules are still being developed.

Most important in regards to OP question, you also mentioned: always open beta first, regardless of module.

To be honest, i don't think this is correct, given the fact that there is a very long list of items to be added to the Hornet after it will leave EA by the end of this year (at least that's what is communicated as planned).

Yeah, that appears to be an exception to the as of now established practice, but I personally hope they'll reconsider and keep the EA label on the Horner for as long as it takes to finish it.

-

So I bought SC and realised I have to switch to beta, so I did, now DCS will not start. I see from forums I'm not alone, any fixes? Also, anyone know when we can use SC in stable build? I thought that would be the case with full release.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, still getting to grips with DCS.

=Steam version=

If your beta version doesnt start most likely one of your av has quarantine your dcs exe, had this last dcs open beta update

Yeah, that appears to be an exception to the as of now established practice, but I personally hope they'll reconsider and keep the EA label on the Horner for as long as it takes to finish it.

Honestly, i don't even care how they call it as long as i am convinced they are actively working towards completion. All those naming issues of different modules in different states is just another piece to rub and gain tension on for the community, and we are rubbing and gaining tension enough already as is