Has anyone tried the 10900k yet?

What would you propose for an oveclocked AMD build to go head to head with the 10600/10900?

If you're willing to consider that route, there are actually a few higher-clocked XT Ryzens to be released soon to counter Intel's Comet Lake K CPUs. 3900XT will have their boost clocks pushed to 4.8 GHz, while 3700XT and 3600XT will have their boost clocks at 4.7.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Rumored-clockspeeds-leak-for-4-8-GHz-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900XT-4-7-GHz-Ryzen-7-3700XT-and-Ryzen-5-3600XT-Upclocked-Matisse-refresh-takes-on-Comet-Lake-S-i7-10700K-and-i9-10900K.466481.0.html

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-05/spieleleistung-test-intel-core-i9-9900k-amd-ryzen-9-3900x-ram-oc/2/#diagramm-metro-exodus

That´s all about AMD vs Intel in Gaming with OC.

To have a idea of performance in DCS, everybody can look at the results of anno 1800. This is single core performance and in this case, the 9900ks is 40% ahead.

Yeah, thats the solution. Putting in 4133-RAM, that costs (in a 32GB-kit) more than the CPU itself!

Anno1800 is only single-core? Ive see/read lots of game-comparisons between AMD and Intel but still do not know, which game is resembling the needs of DCS the most. How come, you think Anno 1800 is that game?

Regarding 10900K. For sure a good CPU, but you need to factor in the AIO too, which is a further 150 (Dollar or Euros). From the tests Ive seen, the 10600K with an OC should be much cheaper and at least on par with the 10900K. But well, AMD is within a month offering higher clocked XT-variants and later this year with Zen3 most probably will deal the final blow to Intels proud "fastest gaming CPU"

Im staying with my I5-9600K with an OC for now, since I do not see a huge improvement with the new Generation for DCS.

Edited by Wali763

Hold on mate,

You want to replace Intel Core i7-4790K for 10900K for DCS???

This 10900K is not better than your current CPU if you are looking for processing power, it runs natively in 3.7 GHz, don't expect it to outperform your current CPU.

I am running my I7-6700K at 4.18 GHz across all cores constantly, I have not seen 10900K performing that well across all cores yet, and for the RRP they're asking, I would hold fire till December.

Not sure, you are right.

Looking at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

which is just one single-thread-performance-ranking

the 4790K comes in at rank 72 with 2486pts,

my 9600K at rank 18 with 2788pts and

the 10900K at rank 1 with 3200pts

All stock, of course. But its clearly visible, that there has been some progress over the years.

If you want to compare: my 9600k with 5,1Ghz did a 520 CinebenchR20 singlethread-Score just yesterday; maybe I could try again at 5,2Ghz too. Only got a multhread-score yesterday an then the PC crahed.

Edited by Wali763

Hold on mate,

You want to replace Intel Core i7-4790K for 10900K for DCS???

This 10900K is not better than your current CPU if you are looking for processing power, it runs natively in 3.7 GHz, don't expect it to outperform your current CPU.

Ummm, that's quite a statement and factually inaccurate. The 10900k beats the 4790K on all measurable performance figures both stock and overclocked including single core performance. It absolutely demolishes it on multicore performance.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i9-10900K/2384vs4071

Although DCS only uses one core (currently) there are a lots of other processes running that soak up threads and use other cores, multicore performance is still useful in DCS even though the main game engine doesn't use them.

EDIT: And if you use other sims which take advantage of multiple cores (Such as the upcoming MSFS 2020) you'll see an even more considerable performance increase. AMD is still not there when it comes to raw core clock speeds and that really does matter with gaming...

Edited by Yeti42

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

How exactly does that counter Intel unless they overclock to 5.3 on water or air?

I'm not sure what you're arguing there and with whom. All I said is that if the OP is considering the Ryzen route as well, AMD will release slightly up-clocked variants soon.

They will obviously offer performance somewhat closer to Intel's, whether enough, it depends on the individual buyer's preference and needs.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm not sure what you're arguing there and with whom. All I said is that if the OP is considering the Ryzen route as well, AMD will release slightly up-clocked variants soon.

They will obviously offer performance somewhat closer to Intel's, whether enough, it depends on the individual buyer's preference and needs.

Okay, so you were just repeating what I said earlier in this thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4347746&postcount=27

I was more commenting that AMD increasing threads to 4.8 would not counter Intel running at 5.3! Top AMD chips are already boosting to 4.8. The 15% increase I mentioned in my thread would imply that AMD would get boost clocks above 5 GHz... who knows how high... often these rumours are exaggerated.

So more querying your 4.8 bridging the gap to 5.3... does not make sense.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, so you were just repeating what I said earlier in this thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4347746&postcount=27

I was more commenting that AMD increasing threads to 4.8 would not counter Intel running at 5.3! Top AMD chips are already boosting to 4.8. The 15% increase I mentioned in my thread would imply that AMD would get boost clocks above 5 GHz... who knows how high... often these rumours are exaggerated.

How long do you think the Intel chip can sustain 5.3ghz, even on water. Before it begins to fry and throttle back. 5.3ghz sustained is not going to happen, it's just marketing desperation to try and stem the flood to AMD. Frankly you'd want to be mad or just want to waste money buying the i10 chip. I just wouldn't upgrade on any platform atm as we are on the verge of a new generation transition.

I really don't know what you've said somewhere or not, but again I'm simply sharing yesterday's news article about upcoming Ryzen variants (which are a reaction to a better than expected performing Comet Lake CPUs presumably) to help the OP with his purchasing decision.

These new CPUs will supposedly have their boost values increased by 200 and 300 MHz respectfully so these particular CPUs which are getting a refresh do not have boost clocks up to 4.8 yet obviously. As this seems to bother you, I suggest you take it up with AMD as it's their decision.

Edited by Dudikoff

How long do you think the Intel chip can sustain 5.3ghz, even on water. Before it begins to fry and throttle back. 5.3ghz sustained is not going to happen, it's just marketing desperation to try and stem the flood to AMD. Frankly you'd want to be mad or just want to waste money buying the i10 chip. I just wouldn't upgrade on any platform atm as we are on the verge of a new generation transition.

People are sustaining 5.2 on 9th gen. With substrate thickness reduced 5.3 may be possible. Not saying for sure as I don't know.

And I am not upgrading to 10th gen. I am getting 4.8 on Skylake-X, so $500-ish for 200-400 MHz really not worth it. I am waiting for 12th gen or waiting to see what AMD comes up with.

Please don't put words into my mouth. I can speak for myself without you distorting what I say.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5,3 is just a number on the wall. This will only be reached if only two cores are required and the temps are under 70deg to my knowledge.

Even DCS is mostly single-threaded, I usually do witness four cores being used. So the I9 will not reach those 5,3Ghz in DCS, most probably 4,9 Ghz (allcore-boost).

Still AMDs Zen2 (or upcoming Zen2- XTs) should have bad scaling over 4,4Ghz, so eveything over 4,4Ghz should give you less than expected returns

Edited by Wali763

5,3 is just a number on the wall. This will only be reached if only a single core is required and the temps are under 70deg to my knowledge.

Even DCS is mostly single-threaded, I usually do witness four cores being used. So the I9 will not reach those 5,3Ghz in DCS, most probably 4,8 Ghz (allcore-boost).

Still AMDs Zen2 (or upcoming Zen2- XTs) should have bad scaling over 4,4Ghz, so eveything over 4,4Ghz should give you less than expected returns

Intel's own software takes the i9 to 5.3GHz briefly on 2 golden cores, <<out of the box>>.

With a decent i9 / silicon lottery, a capable motherboard and sufficient cooling I would expect an enthusiast with fairly basic skills to get 5.3GHz sustained on four cores. Heck... there are people on this forum with 9th generation 9900K CPUs getting 5.2GHz sustained on 8 cores. And 10th generation improves the die to heatsink thermal interface considerably compared to 9th generation.

Explaining this to you is getting boring. I'll leave you to it. Do what you want... I really don't care; be happy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please don't put words into my mouth. I can speak for myself without you distorting what I say.

Get off the high horse and don't be so defensive. No one is putting words in anyone's mouth. This is an adult conversation and not a children's playground.

Edited by Zoomer

I easily run my i9 9900k at 5.2 GHz on all 8 cores with no AVX offset all day long with my 360 MM AIO.

5.3 is certainly doable especially if one has a custom water loop.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Change of tack a bit...

Many Z490 vendors... looking at best long term support - e.g. BIOS updates many years in the future, not just two or three. I still get BIOS updates for my 10 year old HP workstations (not gaming rigs). But ten years is probably not realistic for a gaming platform.

I heard some of the new Z490 boards are having BIOS type issues (immature platform in spite of Z390 legacy?).

I've been burned by Asus/Asustor many times over the years - will not buy. Leaning Gigabyte with Asrock (no longer part of Asus?) secondly.

Recommendations for mid range, two PCIx16 (physical, x16/x4 or x8/x8 is fine) slots, lots of USB?

5.2 or 5.3, does it really matter :-)

If it really does, we will appreciate some disruptive developments like the new graphices engine for that other sim or the next nvidia gen living up to the hype ...

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

5.2 or 5.3, does it really matter :-)

If it really does, we will appreciate some disruptive developments like the new graphices engine for that other sim or the next nvidia gen living up to the hype ...

Exactly . I wonder if lot of this is more about bragging rights than realistic performance increases .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Did anyone notice the thread title haha :lol:

I love a good discussion but there seems to be a lot opinions about which CPU to buy, I may have to start a new thread with the same title to discuss 10900k performance with owners of the chip :megalol:

The 10900k is objectively a better performance and as we use DCS, those 2 stronger cores out of the box will be a great help to our FPS. Opinions of value etc are all well and good and genuinely interesting but for the OP side of things, I don't care about value, I can afford it, I'm not rich but I could imagine going to buy a Ferrari and someone stopping me on the way to tell me the GTR is only .2 seconds slower 0-60 and £200,000 cheaper.

I have £100s in custom water loop hardware so it could be 400w for all I care, I just want shadows on in DCS :joystick: :P

People should listen to Milou, he knows the deal and has saved me loads of time in replying lol. The best chip is the 10900k, a 10% boost in the 3900x single threaded is not likely to make the difference although it is worth waiting 2 weeks at this point but in all likelihood, the 10900k will still be the most powerful for my needs. (I'm tired of hearing reviewers tell me AMD is great for productivity, does anyone here actually care professionally and game on the same machine?)

MSI suggest that 30% of the 10900k chips will clock significantly higher than stock. It's not unreasonable to buy 2 and re sell the weaker overclocker as tested but barely used, it would still work 100% to advertised specs.

Either way, thank you so far for the conversation. I'm still very much looking forward to first hand accounts of this chip in DCS and contrary to some people's opinions, whatever I get at this stage over my 7 year old CPU is going to be a great all round upgrade - Fast DDR4, 1Tb nvme 5+GHz and shadows on :pilotfly:

Genuine RAF Merlin Collective DIY project

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

Yeah , i understand what you are saying , but the fact is it is yet a month or more too early to ask the question . Even with the hardware in hand , it's gonna take a couple weeks or more to tune and evaluate .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah , i understand what you are saying , but the fact is it is yet a month or more too early to ask the question . Even with the hardware in hand , it's gonna take a couple weeks or more to tune and evaluate .

I was picturing more of a scenario like when I upgraded my RAM for DCS, I have a set manual benchmark in the f 14 free flight, so am familiar with the first 30 seconds characteristics. I swapped the RAM, loaded it back up and grinned for the rest of the day at how much difference the extra 400MHz made (with looser timings I might add as I had 2000MHz DDR 3 CL8 and swapped with 2400MHz CL11 - Yes my first kit was configured to run at those speeds in case anyone tells me it was at 1600MHz or something :thumbup:)

I know my frame times using FPS VR, It would take 10 minutes of flying to notice the impact the CPU has so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to have fist impressions after a day or 2.

(Build Thread)

4790k @4.7GHz | RTX 2080ti Aorus Xtreme | 500GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds

100" 4K Screen with heavily modified (Long distance) head tracking | Acoustic Energy / SVS 7.3.4 | Marantz AVR | Custom Tactile Transducer sofa using SimShaker | HP Reverb Pro Ver.2

SVS

SVSmonkey? Is that as in the speakers?

(Build Thread)

I get that a lot :) There is no "n" .

I get that a lot :) There is no "n" .

Haha, ah yeah, I read SVSmonkey lol monkey on the brain as my DCS servers are always called "Monkey"

There's a car battery company in the UK called Tayna Batteries, at first I wondered who would name a company with girls name.

(Build Thread)

For anyone that invested too much in the negative hype and 'drama queen' attitude of some of the tech media outlets this video illustrates that this is not a nuclear power plant :)

Skip to 17:00 for a great summarising sentence. :thumbup:

Edited by james111333

(Build Thread)

Can't play that vid, gives error

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11