Overhead stack - commence from Angels 2 only?

Razor18

Hi Guys,

if there are more than one aircraft in the stack, when the lowest is commencing (at 2000 feet), then everybody above him comes down 1000 feet automatically in the lower half circle of the stack, so every one of them will commence from 2000 feet at the end?

Thanks

AFAIK your flight gets a holding Pattern altitude. Means HAMMER Flight will get angels 2, CORONA Angels 3, FLUSH Angels 4 and so on.

Each time the Flight get into holding pattern it goes to it designated altitude. So FLUSH will drop on the Charlie signal from angels 4 to 800 ft for Landing.

Could be wrong?

Greetings

Two elements per altitude (could be singles or sections or whatever). Across the circle from each other.

However during CQ, while there could be 2 per altitude, it’s often just 1 if it’s not busy.

OK, but then how high the overhead stack can be filled upwards, until the next aircraft will get again Angels 2? Or always preassigned daltitudes, and no climb or descent in the stack at all after someon below you commenced??

OK, but then how high the overhead stack can be filled upwards, until the next aircraft will get again Angels 2? Or always preassigned daltitudes, and no climb or descent in the stack at all after someon below you commenced??

It’s complicated. The short answer is, there are not a thousand planes up in the air like some may think. The stack doesn’t go too high but it doesn’t have to. The other part of it is, it depends if it is cyclic ops or CQ.

CQ: go where the air boss tells you. Descend when the air boss tells you. Commence when the air boss tells you.

Cyclic ops: each squadron has their altitude. Once you descend, you don’t go up again. Aircraft at higher stack altitudes descend when they visually determine the lower altitude has been vacated.

As I understand it's preassigned.

From the Carriers 9 o'clock position you may descend into landing pattern but didn't change altitude inside the stack.

That's what I understand.

***Nevermind this reply***

(...)

Cyclic ops: each squadron has their altitude. Once you descend, you don’t go up again. Aircraft at higher stack altitudes descend when they visually determine the lower altitude has been vacated.

Makes sense. Thanks G B

Edited by Rescue
F***ed up mobile controls

It’s complicated. The short answer is, there are not a thousand planes up in the air like some may think. The stack doesn’t go too high but it doesn’t have to. The other part of it is, it depends if it is cyclic ops or CQ.

CQ: go where the air boss tells you. Descend when the air boss tells you. Commence when the air boss tells you.

So in cyclic ops you get to your altitude, but then everybody descends 1000 feet after someone is commencing from the "bottom", 2000 feet? Can there be more than one squadrons in the stack at the same time? If everybody steps down after each Commence, then at one point in time, there might be already someone at someone elses pre-assigned altitude, can't he?

Edited by Razor18

So in cyclic ops you get to your altitude, but then everybody descends 1000 feet after someone is commencing from the "bottom", 2000 feet? Can there be more than one squadrons in the stack at the same time? If everybody steps down after each Commence, then at one point in time, there might be already someone at someone elses pre-assigned altitude, can't he?

There’s allowed to be two flights at the same altitude. In fact, when everybody has reached the stack before the recovery commences, that will be the case. There’s supposed to be two per altitude. VFA-XX and VFA-XXX knows their altitude is 2000 feet during the entire time they are underway, for example.

When the stack collapses, it is the responsibility of each flight lead to manage the spacing and separation. Hence there is no specific VSI, AOB, G, etc. for doing these maneuvers. Whatever it takes.

The problem we have at the moment is there is no cyclic ops, we have a continuously open deck. Until cyclic ops are implemented, it makes sense that aircraft join the stack above any aircraft already holding.

Currently, how do we figure this out?

If I’m inbound but in trail of 2 AI flights, what altitude should I join the stack at, 4000?

I assume the AI ahead of me will take 2000 & 3000, but is this dependent on when a flight checks-in? If I call first, even though I’m further away, am I reserving my level first, and therefore expected to take 2000? What if there's another flight inbound I'm not even aware of?

What we need is ATC to actually assign us an altitude on check-in, similar to a Carrier Quals setup. Whilst this may not completely realistic for combat, neither is what we have now, so that shouldn’t be the argument for not making improvements to the arrival flow. Also, it would be great to be able to hear AI comms with ATC to help build some situational awareness when returning.

What do people do at the moment, especially those who are predominantly single player and have to operate with a lot of AI aircraft?