WIng unfold command from Supercarrier deck crew

Bearfoot

Is anyone getting a signal from the deck crew to unfold the wings?

I get directed to line up at the cat (though this is not always accurate), and then directed forward, and then to stop, and then to lower the launch bar, and then forward more, and then to stop, and then to run up the engines. But no wing signal. I thought I should get the wing unfold signal before the launch bar stage? Is anyone else getting it?

Of course, I unfold the wings anyway, even if not told to by the deck crew. I'm just a rebel like that.

Edited by Bearfoot

I'm not getting the unfold signal ether I think it's just a EA SC side kinda like getting there raise launch bar command even though the launch bar is tied in to the squat feature for the f-14 so I believe you shouldn't get that for the F-14.

I'm just glad the f-14 is as integrated as much as it is, and the SC is as bug free as it is, at this time.

No I have not seen the unfold signal either, but I use the move forward to engage the shuttle also as a wing extend command. No biggie for early release.

More pressing for me is for the cat to fire on salute and not requiring the spacebar too. In VR, blindly feeling for F9, then groping for the spacebar is a bit tiresome.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

No I have not seen the unfold signal either, but I use the move forward to engage the shuttle also as a wing extend command. No biggie for early release.

More pressing for me is for the cat to fire on salute and not requiring the spacebar too. In VR, blindly feeling for F9, then groping for the spacebar is a bit tiresome.

I think just SHIFT-U (which presumably you bound to spacebar) is all you need. No need to go through radio menu.

I'm not getting the unfold signal ether I think it's just a EA SC side kinda like getting there raise launch bar command even though the launch bar is tied in to the squat feature for the f-14 so I believe you shouldn't get that for the F-14.

I'm just glad the f-14 is as integrated as much as it is, and the SC is as bug free as it is, at this time.

Not so sure about that one. We've noticed that if you do not tap the NG Strut switch to raise, your AC will still be in the kneel position when you land. Not great if you're trying to clear the deck and your NWS won't engage. That's probably an interaction bug, since there's no more hookup command, but if you follow the hand signal it works just fine.

As for the salute, it works just like before. Didn't have to remap anything, and no need to use the comms menu.

What I am not getting is instructions to taxi to a specific catapult. The crew will just come alive when I approach one. No response to startup comms either. Not that it ever worked anyway. But pretty sure that's a MP issue.

What I am not getting is instructions to taxi to a specific catapult. The crew will just come alive when I approach one.

There is a thread in the SC part of the forum saying that this was removed at some point prior to release because users can taxi to which ever catapult they want. Some people are asking for it back so we will see....

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

There is a thread in the SC part of the forum saying that this was removed at some point prior to release because users can taxi to which ever catapult they want. Some people are asking for it back so we will see....

I stopped reading that forum after release. Its a mess. I was going by the press release videos. And if everyone is on comms communicate its fine. It be nice for the AI to tell the players, not on comms, to use Cat 1 & 2 (it still looks like 2 fouls the landing deck but I dont know), at least disable the waist cats to prevent those, that decided to use them as were calling the ball, from using them. Not an SC spesific issue, since this would happen before too.

It is not implemented and the hornet unfold wing signal is wrong for the tomcat, which used a wing sweep hand signal, at a slightly different moment, to be precise: while taxiing over the JBDs.

It was arms crossed infront of your chest swept out to the sides, held on shoulder level.

Another signal that is wrong at the moment is the lower launch bar. This should kneel instead, which is arms held out to the sides the upper arm lowering on the other arm until the palms meet.

ED is aware, whether or not they will be implemented, we do not know.

It's a minor inaccuracy though and not a show stopper, simply sweep wings 20° when taxiing over JBDs (this includes lowering your flaps) and kneel when you get the lower launch bar signal.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Is the Forrestal going to include ground crew guides?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Is the Forrestal going to include ground crew guides?

HB plans to start with basic functionality as is current Stennis.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I get it twice, on approach then the forward sign... stop and then unfold.

However sometimes in multiplayer (normally when you restart on a cat in some servers), you can't get the crew to do sweet FA no matter how much you shout at them. Then I attempt to turn around, the NWS HI gets stuck straight ahead, and worse actually inverts (this is a bug right?) and I shoot off the deck to much hilarity. :D

For F-14, shouldn't there also be a signal for extending flaps?

They did not give a flap signal IRL, it was assumed.

The extend launch bar signal for the Hornet is also wrong, BTW. They did not give that signal IRL. Raising the launch bar is part of the pilots run up procedure after being in tension and going to mil power. It’s not a signal the plane director gives. It was brought up in testing and ED ultimately took the position of, yeah, it’s probably wrong but we’re not changing it at this point.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

They did not give a flap signal IRL, it was assumed.

The extend launch bar signal for the Hornet is also wrong, BTW. They did not give that signal IRL. Raising the launch bar is part of the pilots run up procedure after being in tension and going to mil power. It’s not a signal the plane director gives. It was brought up in testing and ED ultimately took the position of, yeah, it’s probably wrong but we’re not changing it at this point.

I am pretty sure they said that their way is correct as per simulated time frame.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

No... first they pointed to a CNATRA doc, but unfortunately it was for the T-45 Goshawk. Then they pointed out a reference that said the director can give the hand signal “as applicable” which would mean in a situation where the launch is suspended prior to the run up, in which case it would indeed be necessary for the director to signal to the pilot to raise the launch bar.

There was no era in which the director ever gave the retract launch bar hand signal during a normal launch. There was a time in the Hornet where the launch bar retraction occurred automatically once at mil power. But that’s a different issue.

I’m not trying to criticize ED, they’ve made a conscious decision not to undo something they’ve put development effort into, put out in videos and manuals and all that. It’s all good, I can understand that, really.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

No... first they pointed to a CNATRA doc, but unfortunately it was for the T-45 Goshawk. Then they pointed out a reference that said the director can give the hand signal “as applicable” which would mean in a situation where the launch is suspended prior to the run up, in which case it would indeed be necessary for the director to signal to the pilot to raise the launch bar.

There was no era in which the director ever gave the retract launch bar hand signal during a normal launch. There was a time in the Hornet where the launch bar retraction occurred automatically once at mil power. But that’s a different issue.

I’m not trying to criticize ED, they’ve made a conscious decision not to undo something they’ve put development effort into, put out in videos and manuals and all that. It’s all good, I can understand that, really.

Looks like you were in just as I was getting started. I joined in 1997.

Around 2008-2011, we stopped giving the launch bar up signal after taking tension as NAVAIR directed it wasn't needed anymore. Something about it being a holdover from the old days. Anyway, ED got it right using the old way with the hornet, mostly. The Tomcat needs a proper Kneel signal for the launch bar but hey...I'm happy I don't have to stand up for hours upon hours anymore. It was awesome for a time but, I can have Flight ops in the comfort of home, and still take a warm shower lol. I spent an entire day doing "Flight Deck Certification". Hated it back then but miss it now, sort of...

Still have my CV NATOPS, this is like a flashback!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Well I will certainly admit when I am wrong and if you say you were there, I’ll certainly take your word for it. I watched the Hornets on the boat from the 88’ work-ups to the end of our 89’ deployment and didn’t see them giving that signal. We can’t post the NATOPS here so I’ll paraphrase from memory... when the “Final Turnup” signal is received from the catapult officer, advance throttles to MIL or MAX. On aircraft 161353 THRU 161715, the launch bar switch automatically returns to RETRACT. On aircraft 161716 AND UP, place the launch bar to RETRACT. So the earlier Hornets had the launch bar retract automatically at mil and on the later ones, the pilot had to do it. So it’s weird that you gave the signal on the earlier Hornets and didn’t on the later Hornets. Seems backwards. Oh well... I’ll drop it (not to mention this is the Tomcat forum and I’d much rather talk about Tomcats!).

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

Well I will certainly admit when I am wrong and if you say you were there, I’ll certainly take your word for it. I watched the Hornets on the boat from the 88’ work-ups to the end of our 89’ deployment and didn’t see them giving that signal. We can’t post the NATOPS here so I’ll paraphrase from memory... when the “Final Turnup” signal is received from the catapult officer, advance throttles to MIL or MAX. On aircraft 161353 THRU 161715, the launch bar switch automatically returns to RETRACT. On aircraft 161716 AND UP, place the launch bar to RETRACT. So the earlier Hornets had the launch bar retract automatically at mil and on the later ones, the pilot had to do it. So it’s weird that you gave the signal on the earlier Hornets and didn’t on the later Hornets. Seems backwards. Oh well... I’ll drop it (not to mention this is the Tomcat forum and I’d much rather talk about Tomcats!).

It's all good brother. Friendly convo! I was a snot nosed kid in 89', plane watching in VA. I never dove into the why or how. You know how those AIRPAC/AIRLANT guys can be. I'm thinking it was just so the Yellow Shirts would stop giving the signal. There was just no need for it, kind of like what you were saying. For me, it was an extra thing that I as a Director didn't have to worry about anymore.

Take care!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Well, with the latest beta, you now get a wing unfold signal.

BONUS: it seems to the the correct signal, as per @IronMike 's description! That is: arms crossed infront of your chest swept out to the sides, held on shoulder level. I once got it briefly just as I was getting over the JBD (which @IronMike says is the correct time), but more often and consistemtly I get it as I stop over the shuttle, just before the kneel signal / kneel.

Anyway, love it, and thank you. Very minor, and in the grand scale of things, not operationally/functionally unimportant and trivial, I know, but still, appreciate the touch!

Just tried and yeah that was cool. Still the Hornet lower launch bar but don't think they told me to raise it up, either though. Nice touch.

Unfortunately they borked the lightning. Couldn't see the AOA indexer (though noticed a box was showing up around it) and could barely see the nosewheel steering light. HUD on max brightness....

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2