Different render distances in each eyepiece

FinalGlide

I have taken a look on my machine with the vive cosmos, it seems fine to me, but maybe different on other headsets? I have mentioned it to the team.

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is W.I.P and is not ready for use so be aware of that.

thanks

Try to land in new supercarrier and look when approaching to IFOLS lights. Let me know please if you don´t notice any rare... rendered in one eye at medium distance (not at the end). Like that bug, there a lot of rendering problems with other objects, seems that some specific distances are incorrectly rendered. That is not happens in 2.5.5.

I´m sure that everyone has the same issues, please look more deeply, its easily noticeable.

Try to land in new supercarrier and look when approaching to IFOLS lights. Let me know please if you don´t notice any rare... rendered in one eye at medium distance (not at the end). Like that bug, there a lot of rendering problems with other objects, seems that some specific distances are incorrectly rendered. That is not happens in 2.5.5.

I´m sure that everyone has the same issues, please look more deeply, its easily noticeable.

+1

Bignewy, the easiest way to spot the issue that I've found is the Nevada Cold and Dark Instant Action mission for the Viper:

Look straight ahead at the two ground power units; in one eye you can see each individual wheel/tire with no shadow, and in the other all you see is black under the cart.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Gryzor do you have two different headsets?

Talking about default settings.

1. There is the cloud error (happens in all headsets)

2. Different LOD Rendering (happens only in my reverb not in the rift, not related to the cloud issue)

WIP shared parser:

3. Render errors with the alternative settings

These are 3 different problems. It does not help if one confuses the unrelated render errors. Each has to be solved indepentently.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

2. Different LOD Rendering (happens only in my reverb not in the rift, not related to the cloud issue)

WIP shared parser:

These are 3 different problems. It does not help if one confuses the unrelated render errors. Each has to be solved indepentently.

LOD rendering issue does happen with rift. Clouds, shadow, textures all sorts of things end up rendering in one eye and not the other. Happens in some circumstances and not others. For example the CAS mission for the F18, clouds are all sorts of jacked up but on our MP server clouds are perfect. Different cloud coverage settings most likely. Same mission also crashes for me every time. I've done reinstall, repair etc etc and have never been able to complete that cas mission without a crash.

Sometimes sitting on the carrier deck details will render fine, other times I might see different LOD for other ships in the fleet in different eyes and sometimea even other aircraft on the carrier deck with me render differently in each eye. Its' borked. The shared parser option seems to fix it all but then entire objects and lights will render in one eye and not at all in the other so it's obviously no help.

I have taken a look on my machine with the vive cosmos, it seems fine to me, but maybe different on other headsets? I have mentioned it to the team.

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is W.I.P and is not ready for use so be aware of that.

thanks

It doesnt seem that complex a problem when the shared parser option fixes pretty much all of the eye variation rendering issues. If the lights just rendered in both eyes and SC deck crew would render in both eyes using the parser option then it would be fixed. Others have also reported simply changing LOD distance on clouds fixes the issues for clouds. That unfortunately breaks integrity check though. Why a change that simple (lod lua change) isnt included in a hotfix is hard to understand.

Also it varies depending on the mission or environment so not really sure why you would say it seems fine to you when these problems have been reported by a lot of ppl for a long time.

WIP shared parser:

I have Index, which uses steam vr like your Reverb. Maybe in rift doesn´t happens due not pass thorought steamVR.

• 3 months later...

Has there been any update on getting this issue fixed? I haven't seen it officially addressed, but perhaps I missed something...

All I can find is ED communicating not to use shared parsers, which doesn't seem to really address the issue. Regardless of having shared parsers enabled or disabled, all we're changing is the type of rendered objects/effects that display in one eye only. In either setting, there are specific things that only render in one eye.

Having to choose between rendering the game so that I see clouds/contrails in both eyes, or rendering the game so that I see the same object lod in both eyes is an aggravating choice.

Quadg explained the technical backgound https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4367019&postcount=13

This will probably not change, since this is how it works for every game. However, the new cloud system might solve the problem with the clouds because it will be volumetric and depth-based. Clouds won't be billboard partikel objects in 3D space anymore. The rest is a bit of optimization work on LOD switching within visibility ranges.

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Left eye distance cloud not there, right eye distance cloud is there. Very annoying.

All so some ground objects same issue.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Hahaha. I thought it was my Eyes before I Read this topic. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Even though it's a WIP, I've been using the stero-parser/frustrum culling option for a good few weeks now, and it has completely solved this issue for me. Shadows, clouds, and smoke etc appear in both eyes.

The option does have its downsides though; flood lights currently appear in right eye only, clouds can pop in and out at the edges (much, much better than popping in the middle of the screen in one eye though), and water has some glitches occassionally. ED do seem to be working through these issues, as the carrier crew no longer appears in one eye only with this turned on.

The trade-off has been more than worth it for me, and performance is improved also. Might not work for you, but worth a shot.

Edited by Majik

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Even though it's a WIP, I've been using the stero-parser/frustrum culling option for a good few weeks now, and it has completely solved this issue for me. Shadows, clouds, and smoke etc appear in both eyes.

The option does have its downsides though; flood lights currently appear in right eye only, clouds can pop in and out at the edges (much, much better than popping in the middle of the screen in one eye though), and water has some glitches occassionally. ED do seem to be working through these issues, as the carrier crew no longer appears in one eye only with this turned on.

The trade-off has been more than worth it for me, and performance is improved also. Might not work for you, but worth a shot.

I noticed the other day that with it enabled, aircraft lods would disappear in my left eye at around 5nm unless I zoomed in. They were still plenty visible in my right eye. I realized that this is why it's felt like aircraft I've visually tracked have been phase-shifting in and out of existence.

That's what I mean when I say we have to choose between clouds/contrails in both eyes, and lods in both eyes. Either choice is terrible.

I noticed the other day that with it enabled, aircraft lods would disappear in my left eye at around 5nm unless I zoomed in. They were still plenty visible in my right eye. I realized that this is why it's felt like aircraft I've visually tracked have been phase-shifting in and out of existence.

That's what I mean when I say we have to choose between clouds/contrails in both eyes, and lods in both eyes. Either choice is terrible.

I've not noticed any problems/disparity with aircraft lod in stereo culling; have been spotting near and far with zero problems so far.

Perhaps it's something I've overlooked (:smartass:), I'll keep an eye out for any issue though, and see if I can replicate what you're seeing.

• 5 weeks later...

More examples of the issue. Many objects are rendered incorrectly since 2.5.6, before that it worked fine, so I don't buy the "it has to be like that" excuse. Other sims don't have such issue, and neither had DCS 2.5.5.

Example one: In F2 view at about 8 clicks of mousewheel counting from the most zoomed in position, the aircraft LODs are switching unevenly. Happens maybe half of the time. Most noticeable in the Harrier, because the antennas disappear in one eye, but also in A-10C II, because suddenly the pilot has a different helmet:

chgTi2N.jpg

Example two: different count of bomb craters in left and right eye. Hard to show on the image due to size compression, but instantly visible in VR helmet, just fly around some blown up objects, the crates will change in one eye before the other.

6UiAP1j.jpg

Example three, UH-1 UN Pilot campaign mission 2, tents on the FARP are not showing the same in both eyes. In the same mission also the problem with distant clouds rendering can be osbserved.

ugN9z1m.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It depends on your refresh rate.

Generally 45 fps fixed gives good results except for certain cloud formations, I certainly notice this on the aerobatics server in certain congitions.

60 fps always gave constant ground, shadow, object and cloud errors when drawing objects at a distance comparing left and right eyes (I should note that I have not been above 45 fps for half of this year).

60 fps is the dream for me but is so bugged in so many ways I am happy to stay away.

90 fps is for the dreamers.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

left eye seems to have the distance and FOV issue.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that this issue is completely abandoned by ED. We´re with it this since 2.5.6 - february 2020 -. Even ED closed / removed other bug post regarding this issue. Disappearings clouds, disappearing wires on carrier, disappearing some details of AC or ground targets...

• 2 weeks later...