VR Headset

Hey everyone, i am considering buying a vr headset soon but i have a few questions before i splash out on it. Firstly, can anyone comment on performance they have had with an rtx 2070? My computer is currently an rtx 2070 and a ryzen 9 3900x, im unsure if my gpu is even up to running dcs in vr? Also i currently run dcs with a 1440p monitor and trackir 5 which looks absolutely amazing and works really well, is vr really worth it over great graphics and head tracking in 2d? Thanks in advanced for your help

Both of your questions are ultimately subjective . I am running a 1070 , and haven't flown on a monitor since getting a CV1 (now running a Rift s) . I am having a very smooth experience with all the graphics settings important to me . I do wish , however , that i could run a higher pd in addition to my current msaa .

Most who try VR never go back , and most are hooked on an endless upgrade cycle chasing better performance/ graphics . I'd say get the headset , and if you decide it is not for you , you can recover most of your money re-selling it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Totally agree with Smokey

And in addition, I would advise you to consider a 2nd hand HMD to start with. Apart from my rig, PointCTRL, my TM Cougar and my selfmade playseat, I bought all my hardware 2nd hand and never regretted any of it. Sure, maybe I was lucky never to have bought junk, but if you first do some research, be cautious and patient you can find some great deals. (owned a 2nd hand Rift cv1 before stepping up to the Reverb).

Pretty sure you can find a proper, but used Rift cv1 for less than €200,-/$200,- nowadays. Might help you decide to just try it. Also check the For Sale section on this forum :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Honestly having never flown DCS with a monitor (so not hooked on 4k graphics) I can say that it was one of the few “holly crap!! Moments I have had in my later adult life.(kinda like the first time flying a girl without your glove!)

Takes an already great experience and elevates it to something beyond description.

Yet, it takes a whole lot of pc and futzing, but from what I can tell there are at least a few 2D guys constantly futzing to so it’s tolerable.

You won’t be sorry if you can put up with its flaws!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

So i ended up getting an htc vive cosmos yesterday and wow! A 2d screen really has nothing on it. Is anyone else who is using an rtx2070 willing to share their settings that gives them the best performance?

Sirrah, how to you like the point ctrl? I'm on the waiting list for one and am really looking forward to trying it

It's absolutely a huge improvement for VR users! (I even dare to say, it's a must have for VR users)

The new GUI calibration tool is super easy to use and just in case you still wouldn't manage, support from Miles (and in fact the entire community) is great and fast. There's a dedicated Discord channel where you can quickly get help if needed.

I would be highly surprised if you'd be disappointed. Same can be said for your first VR headset. Rift S is a very nice headset and you'll definitely be in for a treat when you first put that thing on your head in DCS :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH