Who is reasonable opponent to Mig-19

wizav

Weird one, personally I'd say the F-5E-3 is probably the closest match

• Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yeah, in terms of increasing capability, it's MiG-19 -> F-5E -> MiG-21, IMO. Otherwise, you've got the Korean War era F-86 and MiG-15.

It was really designed to go up against the U.S. "Century Fighters" of the late 50s / early 60s, and it beat them to the punch for being the first true supersonic fighter to go into full production. SOME DAY SOON I hope we'll have some of those fighters in DCS ... I especially want the Super Sabre and the Thud. But yeah, right now, it's kind of in its own class.

• Like 1

I would want to say the F-5, but the MiG completely outperforms it. This shouldn't make the fight impossible to win but the AI is all seeing and can read your airspeed, so the fight ends up being kind of frustrating.

In real life the MiG-19 ended up facing opponents it was at a disadvantage to, like the F-4 because it was in service for a while. So you might use it a bit of low threat aircraft in missions you make. Chinese versions of the plane were in production at the same time as the F-14 and F-15 and are in use by North Korea.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

And the EE Lightning, when RAZBAM eventually makes it...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

If you're making missions and wanting aircraft to fly against you while you're flying the Mig-19P, use F-5s with Aim-9 with rear aspect only. F-4E with Vietnam era missiles, again Aim-9 rear aspects only, Mirage-2000C is another good opponent. If you're flying against Mirage-2000C, let's say a four ship, bring more AI buddies like 8 wing-men etc. The higher the quality of the Western aircraft you fly against, the larger the quantity of AI wing-men you want to bring in order to make it an even fight. :thumbup:

Historically, look at the indo-pak wars. They fought f86s and could have fought mig21s as well. Intersting wars few folks in the west know about.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Historically, look at the indo-pak wars. They fought f86s and could have fought mig21s as well. Intersting wars few folks in the west know about.

Yep, very interesting reads. The other day there was also a new episode from the Fighter Pilot Podcast where they were interviewing an Indian pilot who flew the Mig-21. Very neat interview. You should listen if you got the time.

• 1 year later...

A Super Mystere would be perfect opponent for the Mig 19 I think. But I am afraid I’ll never get it in dcs… 

Edited by shomke
  • Like 1

F-16C, M2000C, Persian Gulf

Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5700 XT, 32GB ram, Odyssey HMD+, Home-made TrackHat, X56 Hotas.

Unfortunately, the answer to “reasonable opponent” for the Mig-19 is the same as it is for the Mig-21….and the upcoming Mig-17: the f-5. And that is a travesty. Ultra modern aircraft like the JF-17 and Eurofighter Typhoon are aircraft to be sure. But as they are 21st century airframes with modern equipment, not only are much of the capabilities of the equipment classified, but the performance of the frame as well. 

why- instead- can we not get completely accurate models of incredibly interesting and capable blue for combat fighter aircraft of the 2nd/3rd generation to match up again the mig 17, 19 and 21? The F-8 crusader, F-100 SuperSaber, Super Mystere, Mirage III and the F-4 Phantom would all be great.

instead, I’m flying a (quite well done) mod of an A-4 if I want to fly a bluefor fighter in a 1955-75 time frame since I always feel like I’m flying a training aircraft in the F-5

• Like 4

There is an F-4 coming. Itll probably be done in about 10 years if the Apache is any indication of how long itll take.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Yeah….the F-4 is in a dream stage. We WILL be getting the A-7 here shortly; hardly a fighter but at least a solid gen-3 aircraft for cold war servers.

would love the F-8. High performance, carrier capable and a very competent fighter. Perfect for a 1959-1969 era scenario and a contemporary of both the mig-17 and mig-19 (although the former not in frontline Soviet Serb is at that point). Also, single seat. I like the F-14 but it’s just not the same as doing it all yourself.

frankly, I don’t care which one. I just want a gen2-3 bluefor fighter besides the F-5; the fighter equivalent of the Chrysler “K” car

Edited by Mikeck
  • Like 1

The G-91 also qualifies, although of course it's role and performance are quite different. In fact, because of that role (a2g vs our interceptor Farmer), it's probably the best match in DCS until the F8 and F100 come out.

Edited by TLTeo

On 9/4/2021 at 12:45 AM, Mikeck said:

frankly, I don’t care which one. I just want a gen2-3 bluefor fighter besides the F-5; the fighter equivalent of the Chrysler “K” car

haha thanks. this made me laugh. did you know the first cell phone call was done from a K car? a premium convertible. 😄

seriously though. the F8 would be sweet. fits the bill and doesn't need an idiot AI copilot. unfortunately nothing in DCS fits the bill.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 5/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, wizav said:

I love Mig-19, have been studying it a bit.. don't know which allied crafts to use against him..

It seems that Mig-19 doesn't have same tier opponent atm...

The correct, contemporary opponent for MiG-19 would be the F-100. Unfortunately we don't have it at the time, but it seems to do pretty well against F-5s.

I realize the mig 19 and mig 21 are both “red air”, but I find that they are a good match for eachother: the mig 21 having the thrust, climb and speed advantage but the 19 having the advantage in a turning engagement. 

and in fact, the two have been adversaries in a sense. The Pakistanis used the F-6 Chinese variant of the mig -19 in the 1974 war while the Indians used the mig-21. Can’t advise if they ever went head to head but at least it’s an example.

• Like 1