My Current DCS Settings for 2.5.6

speed-of-heat

Hi, one more question if you don't mind.

You have a Reverb Pro with a nominal resolution per eye of 2160 x 2160. You say you try to set supersampling as close to native as you can, and I can see with your SteamVR Resolution slider set to 100% you get 2208 x 2160.

Now, my understanding is that VR needs a minimum amount of supersampling to counteract distortion that happens as it projects the image. For example, I have a Vive Pro with a nominal resolution per eye of 1440 x 1600, but with my SteamVR resolution slider at 100% I get 2016 x 2240. So I'm rendering at basically the same resolution as you even though I have a lower res headset.

Is it a quirk of the Reverb that it does not need this basic level of supersampling even for "native" resolution?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

not sure about your assertion; certainly when I had an Oddy+ i used Steam supersampling or PD to try and make things clearer, and it sort of worked.

But i dont need to do that in the reverb, as its all readable without any supersampling, now i know that if i do do super sampling it is clearer still, but, im driving so many pixels natively my hardware (GPU) cannot cope with more and still giving me the perf I need, I have run at 108-110% and it usually was OK, until you get to some edge cases where the perf tanks.

Essentially super sampling is trying to get things "smoother"

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

This explains it quite well. Apparently WMR headsets don't include this built-in overhead, which is fine I guess for the Reverb if the resolution is so high it's clear anyway.

Might try sub-sampling a little to see just how much clarity is lost without this built-in 1.4x.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

its quite a lot of loss from PD 1.4 that's 1.96 times the pixels

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

yep, here is a simple spreadsheet to help you work out the numbers of pixel you drive if it helps

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=235200&d=1588907676

not sure about your assertion; certainly when I had an Oddy+ i used Steam supersampling or PD to try and make things clearer, and it sort of worked.

But i dont need to do that in the reverb, as its all readable without any supersampling, now i know that if i do do super sampling it is clearer still, but, im driving so many pixels natively my hardware (GPU) cannot cope with more and still giving me the perf I need, I have run at 108-110% and it usually was OK, until you get to some edge cases where the perf tanks.

Hopefully you don't mind me chiming in here. I'm having the opposite to you and would love some insight.

With PD at 1.0 and SS at 100% with my reverb - the display in my cockpit (and definitely my DDI's) are not readable.

I struggle to read anything until I up the SS or PD. PD of 1.2 is acceptable with reading clarity (although still not great). PD of 1.0 makes it impossible to read numbers such as Lat/Long (especially 8 and 0's). Even the number pad on the center console - the numbers are blurry like I'm wearing someone's glasses - I can make out what they are - but only because I know what they should be.

I know you say that SS should make things smoother - but in my instance it makes things clearer (but at the cost of being jerkier, not smoother)

Running HP Reverb on a 2080S with cockpit texture set to 1080p, and MSAA off, SSAA off. Not sure why my mileage is varying so much compared to yours.

Do you think that the DCS folks will come out with official settings recommendations once everyone is situated with the 3090 and the Reverb G2? Will it still depend a lot on the CPU? Are we going to have to ramp up the CPU to 5GHz to make VR run acceptable in DCS? I mean with maxed settings that is. Just curious your take on new stuff on the horizon that should be a game-changer.

Hopefully you don't mind me chiming in here. I'm having the opposite to you and would love some insight.

With PD at 1.0 and SS at 100% with my reverb - the display in my cockpit (and definitely my DDI's) are not readable.

I struggle to read anything until I up the SS or PD. PD of 1.2 is acceptable with reading clarity (although still not great). PD of 1.0 makes it impossible to read numbers such as Lat/Long (especially 8 and 0's). Even the number pad on the center console - the numbers are blurry like I'm wearing someone's glasses - I can make out what they are - but only because I know what they should be.

I know you say that SS should make things smoother - but in my instance it makes things clearer (but at the cost of being jerkier, not smoother)

Running HP Reverb on a 2080S with cockpit texture set to 1080p, and MSAA off, SSAA off. Not sure why my mileage is varying so much compared to yours.

If I had to guess, and I am without your settings, it would be in your nvidia texture filtering, being set to quality, rather than performance it is massively misunderstood setting, or maybe ansio being set too low, set it to 8x or 16x.

Do you think that the DCS folks will come out with official settings recommendations once everyone is situated with the 3090 and the Reverb G2? Will it still depend a lot on the CPU? Are we going to have to ramp up the CPU to 5GHz to make VR run acceptable in DCS? I mean with maxed settings that is. Just curious your take on new stuff on the horizon that should be a game-changer.

Yes I think you are going to have to oc you cpu to at least 4.6/8, becuase dcs, and most games, are single thread bound in terms of performance, at least this side of Vulkan.

No I don't think they will come out with another set of official settings (there is already a button in game for ed's. recommended settings for VR)... And I honestly don't think ED would be dumb enough to believe everyone has the cash to drop on a 3090, even an 3080 is a high end component out of many's reach, a 3070 maybe...

I do think the new hardware is game changing, but, I really want to "see" it run dcs before I make a solid call one way or the other...even if the scaling for RT is not linear I would expect the 3090 and 3080 to remove the gpu side of the problem... But that is a guess based on the number of cores and memory speeds... Rather than a knowledge, based on imperical evidence.

If I had to guess, and I am without your settings, it would be in your nvidia texture filtering, being set to quality, rather than performance it is massively misunderstood setting, or maybe ansio being set too low, set it to 8x or 16x.

Thanks. I actually had anisotropic filtering turned off in an attempt to reduce load on the GPU. I'll try going back and resetting what I've done and try again. Thanks for the suggestion. (Texture filtering was set to performance instead of quality) :thumbup:

Major Breakthrough - and confirmation of speed-of-heat's result!

I originally replied with...

I'm having the opposite to you. <snip>

I struggle to read anything until I up the SS or PD. PD of 1.2 is acceptable with reading clarity (although still not great).

That is now no longer applicable! I've been playing around with some settings outside of DCS. In particular in WMR I recall changing from performance to quality, and at the same time from 60hz to 90hz.

I don't know what I've done exactly completely - and which setting I needed and which I don't (I need to go back and relook) - but the important thing is I can now read things so much clearer in DCS!!!!

Not only that - I can read it clear at PD 1.0 / 100% SS!!!! :cheer3nc:

I'm guessing I was doing something wrong (dumb!) that was causing bad quality/readability of the text on the DDI's and labels in the cockpit outside of DCS and some how supersampling was combating that a little. As per speed-of-heat.. it 'kinda worked'.

This gave me the wrong impression that SS was the answer to my problems.

The improvement I've seen makes all the numbers clearly readable to me now at 1.0PD / 100% SS! I've still got more work to do with the tweaking - but just wanted to post here that my previous reference to super-sampling being required for the HP Reverb may be very misleading.

:doh:

Hey there Adam, glad it's working for you now... Happy flying

Thanks speed! I've got a bit more tweaking to do to get a full understanding of what I can have - but strewth - what a difference! So glad there's people like you saying that you're achieving good results at 100% that kept me digging to find out why I was different!

:thumbup:

Blurry

In some scenarios, you will get blurring with motion reprojection enabled, usually when it is on the edge of the performance "envelope".

As best i can tell this is just the delta between the guess of where the object is vs where the object actually is, which essentially is what happens between frames.

I seem to have had some success by setting Low Latency Mode to Ultra, significantly reducing this "blurring"... YMMV (thanks to Iain for pointing me in the right direction for this).

Edited by speed-of-heat

• 4 months later...

Right ! This is what I need. I have the RTX2080 Super but this will get me close. Thanks for all this ! 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020