Mission Editor - Russian bombers..

zero

Figuring out Russian bombers from Encyclopedia is time consuming. It hard to find a good match.

I need help to find AI Russian bombers and matching load outs for:

1. High level carpet bombing (typical runways)

2. Fighter/bomber (similar to example F-16 and A-10) attack on active units (not necessary moving) on ground.

3 . The same as above - attack static structures.

My scenario works almost as intended. Coming in late into the heat of the battle with my F-14. But the AI ground attacks are not very convincing...

Thanks!!!!!

:helpsmilie:

DCS will limit your plane choice if you pick a task (like runway bombing) before you pick the plane. That might help you. I can also give you a quick guide though.

Russian heavy bombers:

Tu-22, Tu-95, Tu-142, Tu-160.

Unlike the US bombers, some of these rely more on cruise missiles than actual bombs. The Tu-22 can be loaded with bombs (internal and external, though external loadouts are pretty draggy).

Russian Tactical Strike Aircraft:

Su-17, Su-24, MiG-27, Su-30, Su-34

Fighter sized strike or multirole aircraft for ground attack, CAS, and sometimes SEAD. The MiG-29 and Su-27 can also perform ground attack but only with basic bombs.

Russian CAS aircraft:

Su-25, Su-25T

Basically A-10 equivalents.

As far as loadouts:

FAB are dumb bombs with the number showing explosive power in kg.

KAB are laser guided FAB

BetAB are penetrating FAB

RBP are cluster bombs

Kh are air to surface missiles. There are a lot. The Kh-25 series is fairly general purpose with a medium attack range, the different version have different seekers for different tasks. MPU being a SEAD weapon for example while ML might be used in a precision strike role. The Kh-31 is also pretty commonly used, think of it as a longer range Kh-25. The A version is active radar, good against ships. P is SEAD.

S denotes rockets. They come in a variety of sizes. Notably the S-25 which is a massive single use rocket.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 11 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 11:27 AM, Exorcet said:

DCS will limit your plane choice if you pick a task (like runway bombing) before you pick the plane. That might help you. I can also give you a quick guide though.

Wow, this is a great guide. I've been having trouble getting bombers to perform the way I expected, but this was a big help.

Is there somewhere I can look up typical mission profiles? Alt, airspeed etc.?

[PC] ASUS X570E - Ryzen 9  5950X - RX 6900 XT - 32GB 3600Mhz

Hornet, A-4E-C, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, F-15E, F-14

Join us on Death Dealers PvE server.

13 hours ago, Death Merchant said:

Wow, this is a great guide. I've been having trouble getting bombers to perform the way I expected, but this was a big help.

Is there somewhere I can look up typical mission profiles? Alt, airspeed etc.?

Unfortunately this information isn't provided in game (maybe some units have this info in the in game encyclopedia, but it's not consistent or complete). In the mission editor when you place a unit on the map the default speed that it is assigned is supposed to be representative of the aircraft's cruise speed, but it's not super accurate.

Rule of thumb for jets though, best range is at ~30,000-40,000 ft at ~Mach 0.8-0.9. If they have to fly lower, lower the speed. So flying at 20,000 ft might have a best Mach of 0.7, this might be the case for a heavily loaded tactical strike aircraft. One exception here is that some of the AI jets have a really simple engine model that basically makes fuel use depend on engine RPM, so they get biased toward lower and slower flight than in reality.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files