Did real F-86F Sabre radar assisted gunsight "calculated" lead?

avenger82

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Alphazulu said:

Two, make sure you have the range knob for the radar slaved to your throttle, it works much better if it is not looking to far out past the enemy plane. Adjust it and your lock light will get more stable.

How is that done?

Edited by flameoutme

In cockpit, you have a radar range knob to the left of your gunsight. Either you turn it down manually by rotating it, or you bind that function to your HOTAS/Joystick.
I generally turn it down to at least half. It is also very handy to have the electrical caging button bound.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The fact is, many other gryo sights are in the game and work better than the F-86 sight. I understand that some say the in-game sight was programmed for the ballistics of the faster bullets available in Korea while the in-game bullets are the lower velocity WW2 standard. If that is true, that fact alone would make the sight inaccurate, especially as the range increases. I can use the manual gyro sights on the P-51 and MiG-15 with no error when in a steady state and the range is dialed in correctly. The F-86 should work just as well except that I don't have to dial in the range, the radar does it for me, presumably faster and more accurately than I can manually.

So, why does is a later, more advanced sight less accurate than earlier gyro sights in this game? If there are documents to show this was the case, I would accept that. But the documents I have read said that the problems with these sights were more of reliability: they failed often and were maintenance intensive. But the pilots who liked them found them very accurate when they working correctly.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, streakeagle said:

I can use the manual gyro sights on the P-51 and MiG-15 with no error when in a steady state and the range is dialed in correctly.

I'm not seeing the same. I still have to pull lead on the P-51. Set to 1200ft range and 34~35ft wingspan for the Mustang's 1200-foot gun conversion and the Fw190's 34-foot wingspan in a steady tracking state, all rounds fall behind the target when the pipper is on the target and wingtips are touching the rings. Same for the P-47, range set to 1000ft for its 1000-foot gun conversion. Rounds fall short.

Edited by Nealius

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 9:44 PM, Alphazulu said:

I can tell you that the A4 radar sight does work just fine. You just have use it within it's limits, practice with it and the M3 muzzle velocity does have a lot to do with it. I have shot down more Migs that I can count using it. Here is the thing about the M3 guns in DCS, they overheat and warp extremely fast. So if you have fired the guns in several bursts one after the other you will see the tracers starts to go a bit wild. Also if you get in an F2 view when this is happening you will see that the tracers stop flying out in a predictable manner and start falling out of the sky very early on, almost right after they leave the guns. In this case, the radar gunsight is never going to work. It does not calculate for the degraded flight path of the rounds at all once the barrels start to warp.

I made a mod that removes the gun heating and warping and if you run this mod, the radar gunsight works like a charm almost every time. However if you don't run the mod and are sticking on the Migs 6 constantly shooting the radar gunsight stops working after a couple consecutive bursts. I never stick to a Mig-15s 6 anyways as the bis can out tur the F-86-F35 in most cases. I always maintain my energy, shoot and then go vertical as they try to slow down, loop and come back around for another slashing attack. This also greatly helps in keeping the guns from overheating and warping.

Other tips that I cab add from experience is, one, try to put the piper far up on the target mig. almost on it's nose. Two, make sure you have the range knob for the radar slaved to your throttle, it works much better if it is not looking to far out past the enemy plane. Adjust it and your lock light will get more stable. Third make sure it is set to "High" foor the deflection as migs always turn fast. This setting is on the weapons panel.

Hi do you have a link to your mod? 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV