DCS Supercarrier, starting a new F/A-18C Wing in EU / CET / UK time zone

majapahit

A new Squadron for the EU / CET / UK time zone where now there is the Supercarrier in DCS, in the spirit of Finland, Spain and Switzerland who had F/A-18 Hornet squadrons on this side of the Atlantic and we fly carrier because that is what Hornet pilots do.

There are a few EU time zone squadrons but I think there is a need for one with english radio communication but with no need being a native English speaker.

DCS Supercarrier module creates improved F18 (and possibly the Tomcat) simulator flying and the aim is not just to fly the strict NATOPS recoveries, but like the real Hornet Carrier squadrons, to do the fast breaks as a wing, for those who are able.

I am T.Rex located in the Netherlands - near Schiphol -, retired, many years of flightsim experience starting with the first Microsoft editions, I studied the real life Hornet procedures if possible, have some hours of real flight and a few pilot friends.

Recently I flew mostly the Growling Sidewinder PvP BVR/ACM server after quitting Grim Reapers (GR doesn't fly proper F18 and too little at that), can fly KA-50, was a member of a Huey squadron and a F/A-18C squadron, have the Tomcat, Persian Golf and Nevada map,

and lately I fly the supercarrier Through The Inferno servers, servers that are stable and have enough carrier slots, we can start from there and perhaps do private servers later on (public servers are maintained stable by the technically inclined and need a lot of maintenance).

What we want is do all the recoveries including IFR night flying, with a wing on European time, do sorties, bomb something not too far away as a mission, and RTB to Supercarrier according to the known procedures.

Less experienced pilots can receive training, you do at least need to know the generality of how a carrier landing is done or you ask for pointers and someone will tell you.

There’s no qualifying, rank or ratings ladder, you just show what you are capable of and we then see where you fit in.

Install SRS radio because servers want that, we can use our own flight, wing and squadron frequencies.

The EU Carrier Wing can get together on Discord, possibly a web page, we can do video conferencing also on Discord now, or Zoom, or Skype, or Facebook, email, whatever.

If you’re interested leave a reaction on this board.

25 May 2020

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Created a discord channel, ECW EU Carrier Wing, you can leave messages there if you want.

EDIT:

new invite, last one broke

again, now a permanent one,

https://discord.gg/BCR24YV

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Sounds interesting. I'm UK based and really like the sound of doing some naval sorties with proper SOPs I practice these a lot although still learning. Not yet ever tried MP in DCS though.

Hi, connect a microphone, make it work on Discord (mic test, have a PTT key), let me know you found the channel, same SRS if you can figure that out, have 2 PTT buttons, Com1 and Com2. And let me know when you fly.

Edited by majapahit

I would be interested

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I would be interested

Hi, connect a microphone, make it work on Discord (mic test, have a PTT key), install SRS, have 2 PTT buttons, Com1 and Com2. And PM me you're ready to fly and when.

Hi, I've got a question on the discord - PTT setup. I've noticed that when you assign a ptt on the warthog throttle (let'(s say button 2 ) that same button number on the joystick gets assigned too. I've got my HOTAS assigned directly in DCS, not through Target. Is there a way to get around that without using target ?

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

Hi, I've got a question on the discord - PTT setup. I've noticed that when you assign a ptt on the warthog throttle (let'(s say button 2 ) that same button number on the joystick gets assigned too. I've got my HOTAS assigned directly in DCS, not through Target. Is there a way to get around that without using target ?

Discord can't distinguish different HIDs, seems.

For discord I use a keyboard key (Control), so to use it in conversations before and after missions. When the members agree on where and how to fly the mission, you change to your HOTAS,

and discord PTT is there for backup when there's technical issues with SRS. I have to switch microphones also. When e.g. COMMs don't work in SRS, or you crashed out of the server, you give a shoutout on the Discord.

Can't do much about a Discord limitation.

Edited by majapahit

I had this problem.

Not sure about target software?

I have VKB with it's own software, it allowed me to change the button number from 10 to 30, that stopped it conflicting with the CH throttle. I don't need to leave it open tho, it flashes the control box etc.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I had this problem.

Not sure about target software?

I have VKB with it's own software, it allowed me to change the button number from 10 to 30, that stopped it conflicting with the CH throttle. I don't need to leave it open tho, it flashes the control box etc.

I do use Target, to do nothing in particular but to define all opposite and in-between states with DX numbers, so in default DCS' control panel these states show up, only couple of macro for F18 autopilot. I had Discord/Teamspeak 'Ctrl' bound to a button state for a while, but not anymore.

I did a short chk on Discord, my DX definitions still do not make Discord separate HID's. they're all gamepads it seems.

I've asked Discord about this, and they replied no-one else reported having this problem, so they won't look into it if not more people complain about it. Weird.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

Hi, connect a microphone, make it work on Discord (mic test, have a PTT key), install SRS, have 2 PTT buttons, Com1 and Com2. And PM me you're ready to fly and when.

That discord link just gives me a blank page?

BTW, have joined discord, but never used.....can you explain the basics please?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

That discord link just gives me a blank page?

BTW, have joined discord, but never used.....can you explain the basics please?

previous works (was fixed)

here's another one, doesn't expire.

https://discord.gg/pNv8Djn

Hit the invite link and either you get there with your browser, or, better option is to download and install the Windows Desktop version of Discord, run it create an account, login (if I remember this right), use a name that you want to play with (your pilot call) and manage your account settings and add your microphone. This makes thing a lot more solid.

With Discord program installed, hitting the link will trigger a pop-up that the Discord program will be launched. or was launched, do not proceed with your browser, but switch to the Discord program that should have started and delivers you to the invite spot.

If you launch Discord and have an account, the left column are all your servers you entered, on top, the blue face is Home. Hit that, top left 'find or start a conversation', fill in ECW or EU Carrier Wing and you'll be on this discord channel.