The channel and teh Normandy

mastershotgun

• ED Team

We are looking at adding some more airfields, but due to the vast amount of details, we only have those airfields right now. I believe this map has the largest most detailed area as we have seen in DCS yet. One of the reasons why cutting down on the undetailed area makes sense performance-wise.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thank you Nineline. If the dev team needs informations on English and French airfields during this period I can help. (Photographs, plans ...)

In addition, I noticed on a Grim Reapers video that the aerodrome of Merville Calone was reproduced as it was long after WW2. I allow myself to post a plan dating from March 1946 as well as the site address:

https://zupimages.net/up/20/23/nse4.jpg

https://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/illustrationsterrains/Merville.htm

Edited by Fred901

Biggin Hill is argueably the most iconic Engliush airfield of the WW2 period.

Not sure how any south of England WW2 map could possibly omit it?

Hopefully it will make it in for release (or at somepoint after)

Regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

We are looking at adding some more airfields [...]

I'll let it to the forum historians to propose which airfield would make the most sense to add in great details, but solely from a GAMEPLAY perspective, it would be very helpful to have some smaller, basic airstrips scattered around the map, so that it is easier to build missions in any parts of the map.

In other words, don't only go for the historically important airfields, but also consider doing smaller landing grounds / local airstrips of lesser historical importance, just to give some more flexibility for historically less accurate mission design.

One of the reasons why cutting down on the undetailed area makes sense performance-wise.

Are you sure, the DCS engine behaves in that way? I always felt that performance had more to do with how many detail there was in players direct vicinity, not how much detail there was in the whole map.

Edited by twistking

Biggin Hill is argueably the most iconic Engliush airfield of the WW2 period.

Not sure how any south of England WW2 map could possibly omit it?

Hopefully it will make it in for release (or at somepoint after)

Regards,

Gary

Absolutely!

You have to have Biggin Hill. It's not even open to question.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

And...

I saw on a video that there's going to be night lighting if you set the date right.

A Guinness for the Wizard of Do-It-Right who made that excellent decision. I hope the airfields light up as well.

drinks_drunk.gif

Like you, I get more excited when new terrains are released, more so than new aircraft. I have the stang and the spitty for ww2, but I think this map is going to be a belter for the Huey.....

I will wait for a sale for the Jug but the channel map will be a day one purchase.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Like you, I get more excited when new terrains are released, more so than new aircraft. I have the stang and the spitty for ww2, but I think this map is going to be a belter for the Huey.....

I will wait for a sale for the Jug but the channel map will be a day one purchase.

Yep, that map is a Day One purchase for sure.

And even though the P-47 doesn't make me all hot and sweaty, it looks to be very well made, and it's a serious ground pounder and (apparently) a smooth flyer as well. And I want to blow chit up on that nice new map.

Hope it's a package deal and a few bucks can be saved.

• ED Team
Is the terrain more detailed for the ground war, as in undulations and a more historical road layout. We have some pretty nice ground vehicles now and a few tank missions would be great.

yes, I think it will be a blast for some good ground fights for sure.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

And...

I saw on a video that there's going to be night lighting if you set the date right.

A Guinness for the Wizard of Do-It-Right who made that excellent decision. I hope the airfields light up as well.

drinks_drunk.gif

The current Normandy map does exactly that now.

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The current Normandy map does exactly that now.

Two things:

1- Really?!? I didn't know that. smile.gif

2 - I'm not surprised I didn't know that. sad.gif

Damn, have to go to work but I'll check it out tonight. Thanks!

+100000000 for Biggin Hill. It is THE RAF base to include. Also, if you like consider requesting more variety in colours for France. France is a complete patchwork of various fields- not nearly the uniform green fields as shown. There are thousands of recon photos from france to use as reference. Accuracy matters. Fingers crossed.

well based on the grim reapers video it seems that the maps overlap and the channel is on the east side...

I'm wandering if this is not intentional for them to have test bead for like map clustering or developing handover protocol for server mashing or something...

it will be great if somebody form ED could share something, not the dates, just what like next target or what they are aiming for, if it make sense...

They have the Channel map listed on Steam as being available in 20 hours but no price is listed.

Such a tease!

Yes, buying without hesitation. I want the 'Bolt also but after the free for all induced purchasing binge I have way too many airplanes that I don't know how to fly already!

Your math is off on the size, it's roughly 133 nm wide and about the same tall. These are the detailed areas, no large undetailed space has been added as of yet as our other maps have.

Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=237953&stc=1&d=1590965460

I really like the chosen area. Amiens is on the map, so now we only need the Mossie. Also, if ever some 3rd party decides to make WW1 aircraft, we already have the map ????: Lens, Douai, Arras, Albert...

NineLine, could you clarify for me, if there will be lower detail area added outside of the high detail area?

I was very pleasantly surprised that parts of London are on the map just as a backdrop, because it should be in visual range when flying over the detailed parts of england.

In PhilStyle's video however it could be seen that there is a very harsh border where the detail stops.

Is it save to assume, that this area will at least get proper ground textures, so that the end of the map can't easily be seen?

Ideally those ground textures, should also incorporate city lighting, as the city of london should be quite a beacon of light if not in blackout.

I think that this should be done for all map borders, but with london the sudden end of the map seems especially jarring.

thanks.

Edited by twistking

I’ve just bought map and looking forward to taking the P47 out over it tomorrow.. But, can’t one of you clever modding guys come up with some means of locking the two maps together? It’s crying out to be united with the Normandy. Of course it might be impossible for whatever reason. I haven’t a clue how these things are done , I wish someone would teach me.

• ED Team
NineLine, could you clarify for me, if there will be lower detail area added outside of the high detail area?

I was very pleasantly surprised that parts of London are on the map just as a backdrop, because it should be in visual range when flying over the detailed parts of england.

In PhilStyle's video however it could be seen that there is a very harsh border where the detail stops.

Is it save to assume, that this area will at least get proper ground textures, so that the end of the map can't easily be seen?

Ideally those ground textures, should also incorporate city lighting, as the city of london should be quite a beacon of light if not in blackout.

I think that this should be done for all map borders, but with london the sudden end of the map seems especially jarring.

thanks.

I would like to see the edges get cleaned up at least, but I am unsure right now.

64Sig.png

[...]

[...]

I would like to see the edges get cleaned up at least, but I am unsure right now.

Ok. Thanks.

I really hope something can be done in this regard (just some hundreds of meters just feathering out the detail would surely help a lot already). Everything else seems rather beautiful with this map.

• 5 months later...

I just bought the channel map and am deeply disappointed. I'm not sure what it offfers in a combat simulation and how the airfields were chosen - or not chosen - is a mystery to me. High Halden?! Opened in 1944 for D-Day, closed by October. Where is Biggin? Where is the western part of 11 Group across to Southampton?

I know some will say that's the Normandy map and we were grateful for the extension to Southern England even on it's primitive state and a handful of make-do airfields. I thought the channel map would resolve all of that and point more towards the BoB than D-Day.

Is further development planned?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit