TRIR-5

Ken Wenholt

Hi mate - I'm a huge TIR fan. I've got the TIR 5 Pro and it's fantastic. Yes VR is slightly more immersive but I have a 21:9 4k monitor so I don't loose any resolution in comparison. I've tried both side by side.

The TIR performs really well, I've tweaked one of the default profiles so it's very fast and smooth and great around the cockpit centre point.

I cant sing it's praises high enough. It very rarely stutters or drops lock and in fact the only time it has is where I've had a light come on suddenly behind me in the office and it catches itself.

To answer your Viper question specifically - it's a great addition to that module because of the visibility in the bubble cockpit so being able to really make natural use of that is great. Also the F18 and F16 have the HMCS system which with slave mode for the 9-X in the F-16 is a lethal dogfight combination for off boresight missile launches.

It's a good product, well made and for my two pence get the pro as it's more accurate.

The software took a while to get setup - mainly because I was trying to get it just right but once you've got your individual setup sorted it's good to go and I use the F-12 key to centre it.

Hope that helps.

Crumble.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Hi mate - I'm a huge TIR fan. I've got the TIR 5 Pro and it's fantastic. Yes VR is slightly more immersive but I have a 21:9 4k monitor so I don't loose any resolution in comparison. I've tried both side by side.

The TIR performs really well, I've tweaked one of the default profiles so it's very fast and smooth and great around the cockpit centre point.

I cant sing it's praises high enough. It very rarely stutters or drops lock and in fact the only time it has is where I've had a light come on suddenly behind me in the office and it catches itself.

To answer your Viper question specifically - it's a great addition to that module because of the visibility in the bubble cockpit so being able to really make natural use of that is great. Also the F18 and F16 have the HMCS system which with slave mode for the 9-X in the F-16 is a lethal dogfight combination for off boresight missile launches.

It's a good product, well made and for my two pence get the pro as it's more accurate.

The software took a while to get setup - mainly because I was trying to get it just right but once you've got your individual setup sorted it's good to go and I use the F-12 key to centre it.

Hope that helps.

Crumble.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Hi! Thank´s for a very good and helpful advice! I will order the TIR-5. I´m used to P3D, ChasePlane in my VRS F/A-18E but in DCS I can clearly see that TIR-5 is essential for successful working day in the air.

Informal

Ken Wenolt

ZULU +2

ESSA

TIR 5 has the best head tracking in the market AFAIK, if you don't mind paying for it. The only thing that can be considered an upgrade is VR, but that's a different approach altogether. I have TIR 5 with the track clip pro (the headphone with the LEDs) and I'm very happy with it. It integrates well with a lot of other games too.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The cheaper wanna bes to the actual TIR are poor performers. I researched this heavily a year ago before replacing my TIR4 with TIR5. Its fantastic. Worth every cent.

As for VR? Who can afford it? Stupidly overpriced. And how would I use my controllers and MFDs?

Edited by Mower

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

TIR 5 has the best head tracking in the market AFAIK, if you don't mind paying for it. The only thing that can be considered an upgrade is VR, but that's a different approach altogether. I have TIR 5 with the track clip pro (the headphone with the LEDs) and I'm very happy about it. It integrates well with a lot of other games too.

IMO VR is completely better than TIR. Especially in WVR fights there is no comparison. I used TIR-5 for a decade prior to jumping into VR and VR takes it to the next level.

IMO VR is better than TIR. Especially in WVR fights there is no comparison. I used TIR-5 for a decade prior to jumping into VR and VR takes it to the next level.
Sure, but VR changes the game too much. Things like performance, image quality, tracking quality and display quality differences between headsets etc. I think the OP didn't want to get into the whole VR situation, otherwise he'd ask about that. TIR 5 is a simple solution, it's almost plug and play, you don't need to reconfigure DCS for it and it offers the best tracking in 2D.
Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Used TIR5 since it was released. Great product back then and sadly still the only quality product for head tracking today (I wish they release an TIR6 with a better software and better tracking...)

(With a quality product I refer to a product designed for this purpose and not a hacked PS3 camera.)

Get the TIR5 sensor but skip on the TrackClip Pro. Overpriced and poorly designed.

Get an aftermarked IR-Clip to put on your headset (Wired, wireless, whatever you need). "Delanclip" or "TrackHat" has also great ones.

And yes, I switched to VR with superior tracking. Just no comparision, but TIR still gets some use now and then.

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

TrackIR 5 is something that I could not sim without. Take some time and tweak the profile so it reacts the way you want it to. I have mine slightly deadzoned at the center so it's centered in the cockpit when I'm not moving but reacts once I get a few degrees off.

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find it worrisome that the last update to their software was in 2016. Hopefully there is still someone employed who can fix things in case a windows update breaks something.

And while the tracking is ok it is very poor compared to the tracking on most vr-headsets. Even most phone apps are better. Just look at the 3d mask filters in some of those instasnapbookwhatever apps. Very impressive face tracking in those. And they do it just by looking at your face. No ir-leds and reflectors.

I find it worrisome that the last update to their software was in 2016. Hopefully there is still someone employed who can fix things in case a windows update breaks something.

And while the tracking is ok it is very poor compared to the tracking on most vr-headsets. Even most phone apps are better. Just look at the 3d mask filters in some of those instasnapbookwhatever apps. Very impressive face tracking in those. And they do it just by looking at your face. No ir-leds and reflectors.

I've got a TIR4, an older model to be sure but i've had it since the I was 20-21 (I'm 31 now) and it's still in perfect working order. I can't fly without it, and if I try I just feel dirty. As people have said VR is more immersive but if your computer can't handle the requirements of a VR headset TIR is the second best option.

The only adjustment i've had to make over the years, and this isn't really the TIR's fault is some headsets are to thick to allow the clip to fit. So i've modified mine with a velcro patch that allows me to velcro it to my headset as and when I need it.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.4GHz (Turbo's to 4.0GHz) ¦ x2 8GB Gskill Trident Z DDR4-3000 ¦EVGA GTX 1070 ¦ Asus prime X370-Pro ATX AM4 ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog ¦ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ Track IR

FC3 ¦ F5 ¦ M2000C ¦ AV8B ¦ A10C ¦ F18C ¦ F16C ¦ SA432 ¦ UH1H ¦ MI8 ¦ KA50 ¦ NEVADA ¦ CAUCASUS ¦ PERSIAN GULF ¦ NORMANDY ¦ Supercarrier |

Wish List:

RAF Tornado GR4

RAF CH-47 Chinook Mk6

RAF Hawker Typhoon (Warbird)

http://www.twitch.tv/uncappingbadger

I made my own head tracking using a modified PSEye camera and an LED clip, both purchased on Amazon for $40 total. The software I use is OpenTrack (free).

I have used TIR5 at a friends house, and I can't tell much of a difference between TIR5 and my OpenTrack setup. I could not go back to flying without head tracking, it just adds a whole new level of immersion.

If I am not mistaken about TIR5, doesn't it come with a 50% coupon for any item in the ED store?

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Sure, but VR changes the game too much. Things like performance, image quality, tracking quality and display quality differences between headsets etc. I think the OP didn't want to get into the whole VR situation, otherwise he'd ask about that. TIR 5 is a simple solution, it's almost plug and play, you don't need to reconfigure DCS for it and it offers the best tracking in 2D.

It does change the graphics and its not as straight forward as TIR, you need to wear the Headset and be in the mindset and prepared for VR. But when you try it, you love it. Me, I only miss my TIR, which I sold to buy my VR, simply because now my Falcon BMS 4.34 became unplayable without it and in its current state, its light years ahead of DCS' F-16 in every aspect. In DCS, the only reason why I would use TIR instead of VR is to train BVR and Strikes. To actually play it, I always go VR for sure, it's amazing.

Also, TIR5 imo is the one really overpriced of the two options. £169 for the pro version, c'mon? It's better than the cheaper (£35) options for sure, but the small gain in performance cost a whole lot of money when its still just a little webcam with its ir filter removed, a trackclip and the better software.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Well, if it needs to be cheap there is also the EDTracker (like 30£) and FaceTrackNoIR (2$).

FaceTrackNoIR only needs a good webcam and the tracking is lacking a bit.

EDTracker works with gyros and accelerometers, but only supports TRUE 3DOF (There is some fake/interpolated directions, but this is rather sketchy) -> Uses OpenTrack like the PS3 Cam Hacks do. A combination of IR and Gyro/Accelerometer would be interesting... :pilotfly:

It is sad, that there is TrackIR 6 or a quality competitor in the market... :cry:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hi! I plan to invest in Track IR-5 to be used in my F-16 and F-18. Is it a good investment or will DELANCLiP work better / worse / equivalent? I need some smart advice.

I always was under the impression that the Delanclip was something to replace the utterly overpriced and left-to-be-desired quality (those break already when you just look at them) TrackClip Pro. So it's not an alternative to TIR itself, but one to the TCP. And apparently, a very good one.

"slightly more immersive" is definately an understatement. But you're right about the resolution, even a 1920x1200 screen wins here hooves down, unless you're comparing to a Reverb or Pimax. And you sure will have less fps. But nothing replaces the stereoscopic view.

The cheaper wanna bes to the actual TIR are poor performers. I researched this heavily a year ago before replacing my TIR4 with TIR5. Its fantastic. Worth every cent.

As for VR? Who can afford it? Stupidly overpriced. And how would I use my controllers and MFDs?

I always wondered if there actually was a noticable improvement with the 5 over the 4 as I've got the latter just and always thought it wouldn't pay off to upgrade. BTW had the very first one before that and gave it back because the tracking was bollocks. But the 4 blew me away and I used it until I got a Rift.

Wouldn't call VR overpriced. I mean, we're talking DCS where you need "overpriced" hardware to begin with. I'm running input devices worth of over $1000 alone - without even having a fancy VKB or Virpil, Monstertech mounts etc. Getting into VR was just 250 for me since I bought a used CV1 from someone offering it on the Il-2 board when he ordered a Pimax. Fun thing about that was that I had to discover that guy living in the exact same street as I do... the world is very small sometimes.

But I'd also say the 450 for a Rift S is well worth it in every regard. It's a totally new experience.

Getting used to use the controllers blindly works quite well in no time. At least it didn't take me any longer than getting used to TIR when it was new, or suddenly having rudder pedals on the floor.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

But I'd also say the 450 for a Rift S is well worth it in every regard. It's a totally new experience.

Getting used to use the controllers blindly works quite well in no time. At least it didn't take me any longer than getting used to TIR when it was new, or suddenly having rudder pedals on the floor.

Exactly what Eldur is saying. I run the Rift S in DCS and at this point wouldn't run it any other way BUT in VR. Going from TIR 5 to VR is almost like going from no head tracking to TIR. Yes you lose some visual clarity when compared to monitors at the moment but the gain in immersion and WVR fighting ability IMO makes the trade off 100% worthwhile.

I also have the TM MFDs and if you leave them in the same place as well as a controller (I only ever use the left controller for button pushing etc.) it doesn't take that long to get used to it. MFDs you just have to button count to get to the right button to push. Not as nice or fast as being able to see it but it still works. IMO yet another one that is worth the time to get used to. I use the TH WH + MFDs for most of the work and anything else the left controller so I never touch the keyboard at all in the hi fi modules like the F/A-18.