Make AI stay in a Parking Spot

LTPERRY

Hello, first of all I would like to thank ED for their fabulous work, I would however have a criticism and a question to ask

Why when we place the AI ​​on the parking spot it take off on its own and then re-land?

It's totally inconsistent as a behavior

Why doesn't it's just stay in her parking spot until an enemy arrives or is told to take off?

It's a feature that I find totally incoherent, I just spent hours placing AIs on bases in very specific places to realize that they all start to take off, I tried a lot of script for them prevent take off including the famous "uncontrolled" associated with a trigger start, and that's good it works only big problem we can no longer embody AI in mission, would it not be easier on the part of ED to add a very basic "stay in the parking spot" so that the AIs stay in their place and we can still play them?

Is there a way that I don't know to achieve this result?

Thank you for your answer, but as I said in my message, I already know this technique and have already used it, the problem using this method is that once the mission launched you can no longer play ( with ALT + J) the AI ​​plane set as "uncontrolled", I'm looking for a method that would allow the aircraft to stay at parking spot and being able to play this AI aircraft ​​on a mission.

That being said, I reiterate that ED should really set up an additional option at startup which would be " start the plane and wait at the parking" it doesn't seem very complicated to do since they are already able to make it take off it should be able to make it wait for an order from the player or the detection of an enemy nearby initiate takeoff

Edited by LTPERRY

I don't know of any way to make it so that you can jump into an AI aircraft in an SP mission, but if you're looking to use the AI when an enemy shows up, you can do that with triggers.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I'm not sure i understand this: "being able to play this AI aircraft ​​on a mission".

When a condition is true, the trigger should execute START command, and AI will come to life and execute the task, like you said:

"it should be able to make it wait for an order from the player"

For example:

MISSION START >no condition > RADIO ITEM ADD (START My Ai / Flag 1/ Value 1)

ONCE > FLAG EQUALS 1 > AI TASK SET (choose your START command here)

About this issue: "or the detection of an enemy nearby initiate takeoff" - this was present in earlier versions (called GAI task), it was removed, i'm not sure if it will be added again.

To simulate it, add a zone in ME, and set the radius to cover the radar detection zone.

then:

ONCE > part of coallition in zone > AI TASK SET (choose your START command here)

Hope it helps you :)

You can always set fuel quantity at 0% (and make sure they aren't carrying external fuel tanks), they won't move that way.

But I agree, AI planes should stay put.

Wow I hadn't thought of it, very very clever !! :D

And very simple to do in addition thank you very much! The only negative issue is that they will not take off if an enemy passes nearby :crazy:

I'm not sure i understand this: "being able to play this AI aircraft ​​on a mission".

When a condition is true, the trigger should execute START command, and AI will come to life and execute the task, like you said:

"it should be able to make it wait for an order from the player"

For example:

MISSION START >no condition > RADIO ITEM ADD (START My Ai / Flag 1/ Value 1)

ONCE > FLAG EQUALS 1 > AI TASK SET (choose your START command here)

About this issue: "or the detection of an enemy nearby initiate takeoff" - this was present in earlier versions (called GAI task), it was removed, i'm not sure if it will be added again.

To simulate it, add a zone in ME, and set the radius to cover the radar detection zone.

then:

ONCE > part of coallition in zone > AI TASK SET (choose your START command here)

Hope it helps you :)

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! :thumbup:

I did not know these commands, indeed it is very useful, but the problem is that I still cannot take control of the plane concerned on mission, you know by press ALT + J, because it tells me "device control unavailable" or something like that, so if ever on a mission I want to switch between my main plane to the plane that I have put as "uncontrolled" i can't do that and it's embarrassing because I would like to be able to switch between all the parked planes in order to create a huge map filled with diverse and varied missions,sorry if i express myself wrong i am not anglophone ^^

Hmm, well, then set them as "client" instead of "player" - then, during mission press esc, then "Choose Slot" - choose desired unit, and voila

Yes but the problem is that the plane will not appear before I take control of it :(

And I'm try to create an realistic big organic world (with each plane really present on a base that I would have installed on the map according to the position i've found from their real base in the real world), it is quite difficult to explain but in summary to be able to carry out this project I need two conditions :

AI aircrafts that are parked at a base and stay here (but really here from the start and therefore potentially vulnerable to an attack)

And second condition all AI planes can be embodied by the player at any time.

It would be very easy to do if we had the option from the start to position an aircraft on a base and make it wait, for that it would be very useful if ED add this option ^^

Edited by LTPERRY

But again, thank you very much for your help, by mixing these two techniques, set the fuel to 0 (for the planes that I want to be able to control) and use scripts as you explained to me dark wood, I'm already coming to a very very satisfactory result, the ideal would be that each plane on the map of each camp can be played at any time if there is a method for it would be perfect, but only with what you told me I already arrive at a very appreciable result, thank you very much !

Wow I hadn't thought of it, very very clever !! :D

And very simple to do in addition thank you very much! The only negative issue is that they will not take off if an enemy passes nearby :crazy:

That's what "uncontrolled" and the triggered action "Start" is for. Add a trigger with condition "part of coalition in zone" (area of the airfield) action push AI task "Groupname: Start" and the AI will start engines and beginn their mission, as soon as an enemy enters the triggerzone.

The mission editor and especially the triggered actions is a powerful tool.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If you want to populate your mission with aircraft the clients will use, check out SWAPR (Sweet Automatic Player Replacement script): https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3999732

Hardcard has written a brilliant script that does what no one thought was possible. It does have some issues now and then, but he works hard at correcting or at least minimizing the problems as much as possible.

Good luck!

You can also set AI uncontrolled aircraft, set Triggers for condition unit alive and deactivate the uncontrolled planes when players take the client slots.

Only issue, this works only once as the deactivated groups can't re-spawn when the player leaves, so once deactivated it is gone, unless you use more complex scripts to dynamically spawn AI etc.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

@LTPERRY

I didn't direct you to SWAPR earlier because it seemed overkill... but now that you've explained what you want to accomplish, definitely use SWAPR.

I'm currently working on some fixes/improvements and a new tutorial video for SWAPR 1.3, in the meantime, I have a development version available that should work fine.

Let me know if you're interested.