‘Lost’ flashing message after missile launch?!

ayousry

Hello

Have a couple of questions please

1-Sometimes i get a ‘lost’ message on the right bottom of the hud after i fire a missile even if am locking the target

Does that mean he is out of range and so the missile is not tracking the target?!

2-what does dashed diamond on the hud mean when locking a target?!

Thanks

1. 'LOST' indicates the missiles has lost track, passed the target or is otherwise not on track, generally. Mind you, this is far from perfect. I've had a few cases of the system concluding an AIM-7 was lost, only to have it hit the target a few seconds later, still. It's a clue, not really a fact.

2. When the diamond (or square if you are feeling lucky) is dashed instead of solid, it means you lost your radar lock and the indicated position is taken from the radar system's memory. If this happens for a very short time only and the radar gets the target back, it just keeps on tracking again like nothing happens. If the target turns you are likely to lose the contact.

LOST should come when radar doesn't anymore know where target is. So it ain't anymore tracking it.

Question is should radar stop emitting guidance or wait few seconds before doing so, if pilot doesn't require lock by blindly trying to lock that position again. Or should ready go to FLOOD mode automatically and just try to let missile find the reflection to guide on.

We do not have a two way datalink with missiles, so radar can't know is missile lost, how far missile is or can't missile find a lock. It is all just in estimation based time.

Likely at the moment radar is working in interpolation and trying to guide missile via datalink and tries to reacquire target if it would reappear in tracking gate.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Lost is an assessment that the missile isn't going to hit the target, whatever the reason may be. There's a lot of reasons for that, not sure which ones are modeled and which ones aren't, but right now it's a bit buggy due to the 120 in particular getting FM changes and the DLZ not having been tweaked to account for it.

• Thanks 1

For me, it flashes LOST for a couple of seconds and then re-establishes the datalink. It could be that the loft at the very beginning is causing the LOST message.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Lost will flash when firing outside of Rmax, although now we can hit some shots outside of Rmax due to the new amraam loft mechanics and so on and the DLZ having not been tuned to account for that yet, as far as I understand.

Sounds logic too, also maybe cause of the target changing going cold after u fore the missle or something, dont know should i file a bug report?!