CPU or GPU

Hey guys, I searched a while before making the question here, but I'm no expert in CPU's so I decided to just place the question.

My current setup is a AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-CoreI guess clocked around 4,1 GhZ; 32GB RAM and GPU is a Sapphire RX 580 8GB DDR5.

If I want to play 2k or ideally 4k at 60hz would a 2080 TI or equivalent do the trick or is CPU an issue here? I always read that for DCS CPU is the most important, and I do not want to spend money on a new graphic to end up with limited system anyway. :joystick:

Thanks

I have exactly the same CPU a GPU and it is running fine even with higher graphical settings.

I moved to VR in Januari. It is OK, not the best. My friend is running in VR with a Ryzen 3950 and a 5700XT, He has slightly better performance in VR. We both are waiting for the new GEN AMD graphic cards. CPU is not a issue at all!

Ok, thanks for the inputs. In 4k I cannot have decent fps on high settings. I'm currently playing in 2k but also not on high settings, because especially now in the supercarrier i notice really drop in fps.

I will be on the market for used 2080 ti as soon as 3080 ti is out.

PS: CPU is at 4.3Gghz and not 4.1. I'm greatfull that this is enough for now.

I'd guess your limit is the GPU.

I have a 3900X that is barely working during gameplay. Keep in mind that although 12 cores, it's usually more important to have better single core performance than more cores.

example a 4 core 4.8Ghz will perform better than a 12 core 3.4Ghz (all other things being equal, obviously architecture of the chip is important, newer being better generally)

That being said, I'm running dual 1070ti's (not sli), so essentially a single 1070 ti, and the 1070 runs 50-60 fps (mid 30's to 40 fps with super carrier) and is 100% all the time clearly showing that my 1070 ti is the bottleneck for more performance.

I'm waiting for the 3000 series nvidias to come out before upgrade as the 2080's aren't that much greater performance for the price from a 1070 ti. I usually skip generations between upgrades. I also have a number of 580's I used for mining eth, and the 1070 ti's are much quicker for games (not quite double but close) than the 580's, so a 2080 should be a very nice upgrade from the rx 580. Funny enough, the 580's are 20% or more faster at mining eth... <shrug>

edit: for reference I'm running very high settings (not maxed out though, there are a few concessions made) at 4k

Edited by nosaMtrevoC

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung

if you are planning to play 4k, then you want best GPU. In fact CPU usage is at its highest when in 1080p or 2k. at 4k it is reduced

so it doesn't make much difference whether one had i7 4790k or i9 10900k,

in 4k they will perform similarly so GPU is more important for higher resolution.

Understood. :thumbup:

Ok, lets wee this again in Q4.

If the price of the 3080ti will too off, or the offical specs are not close to the latest rumours, then a used 2080ti will be the next buy.

I would wish the 3080 ti would be a big improvement, somehow more efficient at a fair price. Fair being something I would pay that I know it would last be good 3-4 years at least. If they jump 50% in performance every year it is far from a good investment.

Understood. :thumbup:

Ok, lets wee this again in Q4.

If the price of the 3080ti will too off, or the offical specs are not close to the latest rumours, then a used 2080ti will be the next buy.

I would wish the 3080 ti would be a big improvement, somehow more efficient at a fair price. Fair being something I would pay that I know it would last be good 3-4 years at least. If they jump 50% in performance every year it is far from a good investment.

they've almost never jumped 50% in a year, so don't worry too much about that.

the 1080 ti is about the only example of such a jump.

In fact the 1080 ti was almost too good, which is why the 2000 series haven't seen the dramatic sales they were hoping for, and why the 1080 ti is still so expensive for an older card.

Personally, I'm waiting for both the 3080 and big navi to be released before i decide. Is RDNA 2 just more AMD hype? Maybe. AMD is always playing catch up with big Green, but nvidia generation leaps are usually pretty small, 20ish percent.

That being said, big navi will probably be released first, so by the time 3080 is released you can compare them. There is a lot of hype behind 3080, but such is marketing.

It's a real tough decision if you want a graphics card first half of 2020. Hopefully big navi and 3080 will be seen before Q4

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung

Is raytracing a thing for DCS?

That would may be a point for the 3080.

I would go for the bigNavi if it would be more efficient. I wouldn't mind lose 10% for Nvidia if it wouldn't be a big massive block consuming watts and generating heat.

I will do the same. Wait for both, and then compare with performance increase with the used market.

One thing i will consider between the two is vram . DCS Vulkan implementation should land during the next gen's lifecycle . Given equal or near-equal performance , whoever offers more vram wins for me .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Is raytracing a thing for DCS?

That would may be a point for the 3080.

I would go for the bigNavi if it would be more efficient. I wouldn't mind lose 10% for Nvidia if it wouldn't be a big massive block consuming watts and generating heat.

I will do the same. Wait for both, and then compare with performance increase with the used market.

No