[NEED CLIENT TRACK REPLAYS]TACAN 'Yardstick' DED/CNI page 'inverted readout'

Sharpe_95

Hi guys,

I noticed today that the TACAN 'Yardstick' (mirroring TACAN channels to get distance data between aircraft) has developed a bug since 2.5.6.49718 (today's patch), after working reliably and well beforehand.

I am describing this as a bug as I can't see that this is 'correct as is' as the functionality does not seem logical and also no changes were announced in the change log related to the F16s TACAN (that I can see).

This issue is as follows:

When a pair of (human) pilots set up the Yardstick, everything seems to work fine. However, when one of them either changes band (X/Y) or the mode (TR/AATR etc) then one of the aircraft (the one that 'stayed' on the original TACAN freqs) has an 'inverted' (black writting on green background, rather than normal green writing on a black background) range measurement in the DED.

A further problem exists that when rejoining back to the original TACAN freq, the player that 'left' will show correct range data in the but not the pilot that stayed has (with the inverted DED/CNI range readout) has a 'frozen' range read out that never moves. The 'inverted' TACAN range readout in the CNI page only shows the range at which the other pilot was at the point they moved frequency.

The only way to fix this issue is for both pilots to leave the freq (for example, by changing bands, although I assume it works by changing freq or changing mode). When swapping bands (Y to X) we then had 'normal' function of the TACAN in the DED/CNI and the same when moving back to band Y.

In summary:

Both pilots tune to a yardstick (EG 11/74y AA-TR).

Pilot #1 moves to band X. Pilot #1 shows - - - - - in the DED/CNI as normal, but pilot #2 (who stayed on band Y) now has 'inverted' TACAN range info in the DED/CNI.

Pilot #1 moves back to band Y. Pilot #1 has correct DED/CNI as normal, but pilot #2 still has 'inverted' TACAN range info in the DED/CNI. When the aircraft move around, only pilot #1 has range info in the DED/CNI.

The only way to fix is for both Pilots #1 and #2 to move to band X then back to band Y.

I have not tested this with more than two people sharing the channel and if this makes the matter worse? Nor have I tested what happens when another flight is using a different channel that you (accidentally or by purpose) 'drop' into - but I assume it then creates a wave of issues for the other flight that now also has 'broken' TACAN info?

Anyway, I have provided a track of myself and a Sqn buddy demonstrating this issue. As I say, it looks like a bug as logic dictates its going to cause issues inter flight as well as the stated intra flight issues. Also ED have made no announcement of any change to TACAN/DED functionality and there is no evidence of this operation in any F16 reference material that I have?

Can it please be confirmed if this is a bug?

-S

server-20200526-210834.trk

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi

We would need to see both client tracks showing this happen, in this case a server track wont help.

We did have this reported a while ago but was fixed, and not able to reproduce again.

Maybe a difficult one to catch.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

All MP tracks are saved automatically. They are in your tracks folder with the other tracks you save.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 10 months later...

Yardstick, also known as buddy tacan, continues to have this or a similar issue for the F16.

It does not seem to require one pilot to change the band either.  Pretty much every time I fly with buddy tacan set up (using band Y) it will work for 5-20 minutes, then either I or the other plane or both will get the inverted distance showing on the HUD staying frozen at whatever the last distance reading was.  The last time I ran into this (yesterday) TACAN was set to 31Y/94Y.

One or both of the pilots changing the band back to X then to Y sometimes works around this, but usually after it has happened once it will only work again for a few seconds to a few minutes before breaking again.

This makes tactical formations where you need to know your wingman's distance extremely difficult.

What is needed for this to be reproduced by ED?  Tracks from both pilots?  Or is there already a bug tracking this?