More naval AI units

Bender_39

I can tell you if the model has too many polys. It will lag in-game. Also, if your collision model has too much detail it will lag as well. There's a way to reduce the polys but it will reduce the detail of your model.

Obviously and thats my predicament - I build my models to rather extreme detail, which of course drives up the poly-count(although I do take it into account). Thats why I was interested in what the sim can handle, because I am not interested in making "low-poly" stuff just to get it to work in DCS :) .

Here's how I do it. Once I import the model into 3ds max and I use 2016. I will slap a texture on it and try to export it to the .edm file. In most cases, I have some UVWs to unwrap. 3ds max from my exp, will only let you export a model to .edm if unwrapping has been completed.

Exactly. In older versions of the sim, you could just assign a simple material to the model, export it and see how it faired. But these days you have to do a lot texture work first and since I don't have much experience with that, I just didn't bother - thinking that my models would probably be too "heavy" anyway.

One model, it literally took me two weeks of almost 8 hours. Once exported, I place it in-game to see how it functions. If it functions well then i will start on the weapon animating, along with the ships propellars and also the radars. Lastly, i will work on the textures.

Yeah and I guess it really is the only way to find out. I mean the model itself is one thing, but performance is also heavily dependant on the complexity of working systems - e.g. you might get away with a high-poly Kirov as long as it just sails along, but when it starts using all its armament....

Honestly, I don't put a lot of time and effort into the textures because sometimes the models don't come with good textures and i have search for one on the web.

I don't do much texturing because, outside DCS, my models don't really need them - practically everything is in 3D, so aside from Hull numbers and the odd crest or squadron emblems, there isn't much to paint :)

The only reason i don't put a lot of effort is because it doesn't seem like there's a big watercraft modelling community in 3DS. I think majority of the members are flyers. They like flying the planes.

Yeah I think you are right about that.

The tarantula looks like it needs work so i will have to put some time into with the unwrapping. One way i get around it is by reducing the number of polys. I do that by attaching a lot of the polys on the model. Also, this model didn't come with the textures. I requested them from the modeler but never heard back but i will make it work.

The ones from Hum3D don't either(very little anyway).

Ping me if you need any assistance SeaEagle!

Thanks mate - thats very kind of you :) . But these days I don't even have a max version that can work with ED's plug-ins, so its probably not going to be anytime soon.

Edited by Seaeagle

Yeah, the models on Hum3 are not worth the money at all. The model didn't even come with textures. They will get some bad reviews from me! I shouldn't have to put a lot of work into a model. I'm replacing all the weapons with my weapons. CIWS, RIM, and Bushmasters.

Texturing is easy as long as the model is broken up properly which is what I'm doing now.

I can understand you would like to put a lot of detail into your model. It does take a lot of time!

I think having a detailed model is good but it's whether the game can handle it and or your PC.

If I work on this model every day. It should only take me a week or so to get it game ready.

Your mods are nice, but what we need are more ships in the game, available for everyone without installation.

With the Marianas map coming, there is a whole near water only map and mission designers cant even place any modern tankers or shipping vessels.

All we need is at least the current ships that are already modelled as statics on the PG map as basic AI units that can at least move. Take the 3D modell and add a basic ship logic already available from the other civil ships. Done.

image.png

Thanks, Impact! You are so right! That is the main reason I started creating models because I knew ED would not create any ship models. I'm sure the Carrier and the Destroyer will be the last two ships for a while. I think they don't create more ships because there's not a big interest in ships. More people like flying aircraft.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to the Marianas Map. I'm making a lot of models for it. Including Coast Guard Ships for security and The Mark V. https://imgur.com/nq9gRjm

https://imgur.com/s5nzxXa

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, pretty much finished. There's a glitch with the latest updates in the game. AI helicopters now land in the middle of the ship. Something I can't control! I'm working on the weapons now. I want to make sure they all function correctly! See below! Stay Posted!

https://imgur.com/PKzdKbj

https://imgur.com/TZbGNYR

https://imgur.com/WNrvNAR

https://imgur.com/sh3bsbX

• 2 weeks later...

Some older USN ships like the Spruance or Kidd-class would go great with Heatblur’s upcoming carrier. Our Russian navy is also completely devoid of destroyers; an Udaloy to complement our modern Kuznetsov and maybe a Kresta-class for the Tomcat era would be awesome.

There’s also that Ropucha-class LST that’s been sitting around in the game files since forever.

Edited by Thorimus

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old AI units for bombing training in Marianas would be cool, Gearing class DD, Forrest Sherman, and so on.

Not to mention WWll era carriers and associated aircraft, F6F, F4U, TDB etc. :thumbup:

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Worth noting that the recent naval ships we do have such as the Chinese ships and the Arleigh Burke dont seem to have correct RWR designations. The Chinese ships all appear as U meaning they are not in the RWR DB and Arleigh Burke seems to think its a Ticonderoga class which I am not sure is accurate given it has a different search radar and there also seems to be the Tarantul, Ropucha and perhaps the Bora Class Hover Corvette or Bobruisk which are in the database but dont seem to be implemented.

Unfortunately RWR codes seem to be quite classified so this may be why these have not been added.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

The Kiev and Sovremenny would be great.

+1

Would definitely love to see more Cold War units.

For the Soviet Navy in particular I'd love to see

• Kashin/Pr. 61 DD
  • Udaloy I/Pr. 1155 ASW DDG
  • Kresta II/Pr. 1134A CG
  • Krivak I/Pr. 1135 (Plus an update to the Krivak II/Pr. 1135M we have) FF
  • Grisha-III/Pr. 1124M (+ an update to our current Grisha-V/Pr. 1124ME/.4) PF
  • Nanuchka-I/Pr. 1234 PF

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 years later...
Il 16/7/2020 at 13:33, Admiral189 ha scritto:

Ecco un collegamento a molte vecchie navi che funzionano con la versione 2.5.4 ma alcune di queste navi funzionano anche nella versione attuale.

C'è un link là fuori da qualche parte sul web per scaricare lo Zumwalt che è stato creato per DCS.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3304473/

pity that the zumwalt is not there 😌

unpopular opinion (mybe?): instead of adding more naval units, ED should bring the old models up to modern standards and bring better damage modelling to all in addition to simulating more systems on each unit (both defensive and offensive).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, twistking said:

unpopular opinion (mybe?): instead of adding more naval units, ED should bring the old models up to modern standards and bring better damage modelling to all in addition to simulating more systems on each unit (both defensive and offensive).

One does not exclude the other.

But you are right that starting by an update to the existing units would be a practical way to go - e.g. more advanced damage modelling will require the 3d models to support it, so it would be handy to have at least a few upgraded entities to set the standard(both in terms of technical requirements as well as 3D "fidelity").

But as far as extended/improved modelling of systems, armament and defensive equipment goes, this will to a large extend automatically apply to many of the unit additions mentioned in this thread - because there is a high degree of shared equipment on ship types operated by a nation - especially for units of the same generation as the ones already in DCS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twistking said:

Both need to be done.  Here a list of the ships I want added the most to DCS core

Edited by upyr1