Progress at last

bilbosmeggins

Such is the feeling of elation right now I just had to post something and share it. Right, I’ve had DCS on my pc for what seems like forever. I bought the original Black Shark, and A10C on disc when they were first released many moons ago. And, to be honest, as much as I liked to dabble about with them, actually sitting down and learning how to fly and operate them properly seemed like an absolute mountain to climb. So I just messed about in the sky, hoping to get lucky and shoot something. Of course, I never did, as I could never figure out the weapons systems. So I’d be happy with the odd, successful landing. And so it went on, with the sim mainly gathering dust.

Then the lockdown came, and I finally found myself with time to spare. Watched a ton of DCS videos on YouTube, and decided to start at the beginning, and get some mileage out of the SU25T. Followed some tutorials on YouTube, and made a concerted effort to map my HOTAS properly as I fly in VR. Undertook some basic start-up, take-off and landing lessons, and some rudimentary navigation. Enough to get me airborne, and back down again in one piece, and on the right airfield. Practised what I had learned until it became second-nature, then looked at what next....

Decided to go through the official training missions, and thought it was time to launch a few missiles. Found a mission to take out some SAM sites, and thought it would be nice and easy. Watched a Grim Reapers’ video outlining the procedure, and what controls were needed for the mission. Right, this will be a doddle, thinks I. Erm.... actually it wasn’t. Each time I got anywhere near, they would put missiles into the air well before I could get launch authority. I died. A lot!

Okay, back to YouTube to see if I could find anyone playing that same mission, to find the secret of their success. I found a video of a guy playing who would approach at about 2800agl, and entice them to fire, then he would run away chucking flares about. I think the plan was to get the missiles all spent then he could go in for the kill. Right, I need flares then. Quickly map flares to my HOTAS and off I go again, employing those tactics. Again I died. A lot! it turns out that you can twist and turn chucking flares, and some missiles will miss you, but it’s a dangerous game with ever diminishing odds.

I was now starting to get a trifle despondent. How the hell do I do this? Then I had a plan. I would go in, high enough to draw fire, but low enough that I could jink off to the right, and duck down into a nice, deep gorge. Sure enough two missiles went up, so I dipped into the valley, and was shielded by the hills as the missiles thudded into the other side. So I did a u-turn and stayed low, going away from the site. I then did a 180, and made a point of arcing up, well above the hill top as I turned. Again, up goes two missiles, and again I ducked down into the valley, safely hidden from the now confused missiles. But this time I flew much further along the valley to a point where I believed that my missiles would now be close enough to achieve launch authority. I quickly crested the hill, with my nose pointing to roughly where I believed the SAM site to be. Bingo! It was dead ahead. This time I was able to get two missiles off, on two of the targets before I had to break off and repeat the run. It went like clockwork, as did the second run. Four missiles, four targets taken out. My heart was racing.

So I got the congratulatory message and headed back to the airfield. I made my worst landing of the week as I over-compensated on the rudder input as I rolled down the runway, setting up a pendulum effect that I was lucky to get under control. I think it was because my legs were shaking still, from the adrenaline-filled mission I had just negotiated. I was so ecstatic because, not only had I completed my first combat mission, and achieved all objectives. But because I had formulated a plan, or strategy that seemed to play to the Frogfoot’s strengths, and it actually worked.

I know that most of you will be thinking, “So what? It’s no big deal”. And to you lot it probably isn’t. But, to me, it was a true eureka moment. I’m still buzzing. And playing the whole episode out in VR just made the experience so very real for me. I now plan to really try and get to grips with this plane before I turn my attention to anything high fidelity. It’s such a great plane too.

So, a great, big thank you to the team behind this incredible piece of software. Truly amazing stuff. Just wish I would have knuckled down all of those years ago, and tried to learn this sim then. So many wasted years. Oh well, better late than never :)

Edited by bilbosmeggins
Typo

:thumbup:

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That's one of the strengths of DCS.

I remember my first successful intact landing, in an su-25 on one fine mozdok evening, felt like a huge accomplishment.

The steep learning curve of even basic competencies makes each breakthrough like that extremely satisfying

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Yup. Spot on!!

If you want a real challenge you should try the beating the mission editor (il) logic. It (mostly) works some of the time when you get in the groove but SAMs are pussycats by comparision.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

... to me, it was a true eureka moment. I’m still buzzing. And playing the whole episode out in VR just made the whole experience so real for me. I now plan to really try and get to grips with this plane before I turn my attention to anything high fidelity. It’s such a great plane too.

So, a great, big thank you to the team behind this incredible piece of software. Truly amazing stuff. ...:)

It's so nice to read a positive DCS experience for a change, after all the whining, complaining and wishlisting so common lately; thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I followed your same roadmap, I purchased A-10C on 2013, but found it way too complex as a first time aircraft, so I turned onto the Su-25T and with it learned all the DCS ropes .. it's a really excellent aircraft ... and FREE :)

I followed these Tutorials, they are old, but to me they are still probably the best for the Su-25T:

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That's one of the strengths of DCS.

I remember my first successful intact landing, in an su-25 on one fine mozdok evening, felt like a huge accomplishment.

The steep learning curve of even basic competencies makes each breakthrough like that extremely satisfying

Yes, like a series of stepping stones. I’m loving it more with each passing day.

Yup. Spot on!!

If you want a real challenge you should try the beating the mission editor (il) logic. It (mostly) works some of the time when you get in the groove but SAMs are pussycats by comparision.

Um... I don’t want to push my luck just yet. Just slowly cranking things up ;)

It's so nice to read a positive DCS experience for a change, after all the whining, complaining and wishlisting so common lately; thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I followed your same roadmap, I purchased A-10C on 2013, but found it way too complex as a first time aircraft, so I turned onto the Su-25T and with it learned all the DCS ropes .. it's a really excellent aircraft ... and FREE :)

I followed these Tutorials, they are old, but to me they are still probably the best for the Su-25T:

Best regards

Thanks for the tutorial suggestion. I have been mainly following the Grim Reapers videos, but a fresh perspective is always welcome. I shall have a look tomorrow, after a good night’s sleep :)

Such is the feeling of elation right now I just had to post something and share it. Right, I’ve had DCS on my pc for what seems like forever. I bought the original Black Shark, and A10C on disc when they were first released many moons ago. And, to be honest, as much as I liked to dabble about with them, actually sitting down and learning how to fly and operate them properly seemed like an absolute mountain to climb. So I just messed about in the sky, hoping to get lucky and shoot something. Of course, I never did, as I could never figure out the weapons systems. So I’d be happy with the odd, successful landing. And so it went on, with the sim mainly gathering dust.

Then the lockdown came, and I finally found myself with time to spare. Watched a ton of DCS videos on YouTube, and decided to start at the beginning, and get some mileage out of the SU25T. Followed some tutorials on YouTube, and made a concerted effort to map my HOTAS properly as I fly in VR. Undertook some basic start-up, take-off and landing lessons, and some rudimentary navigation. Enough to get me airborne, and back down again in one piece, and on the right airfield. Practised what I had learned until it became second-nature, then looked at what next....

Decided to go through the official training missions, and thought it was time to launch a few missiles. Found a mission to take out some SAM sites, and thought it would be nice and easy. Watched a Grim Reapers’ video outlining the procedure, and what controls were needed for the mission. Right, this will be a doddle, thinks I. Erm.... actually it wasn’t. Each time I got anywhere near, they would put missiles into the air well before I could get launch authority. I died. A lot!

Okay, back to YouTube to see if I could find anyone playing that same mission, to find the secret of their success. I found a video of a guy playing who would approach at about 2800agl, and entice them to fire, then he would run away chucking flares about. I think the plan was to get the missiles all spent then he could go in for the kill. Right, I need flares then. Quickly map flares to my HOTAS and off I go again, employing those tactics. Again I died. A lot! it turns out that you can twist and turn chucking flares, and some missiles will miss you, but it’s a dangerous game with ever diminishing odds.

I was now starting to get a trifle despondent. How the hell do I do this? Then I had a plan. I would go in, high enough to draw fire, but low enough that I could jink off to the right, and duck down into a nice, deep gorge. Sure enough two missiles went up, so I dipped into the valley, and was shielded by the hills as the missiles thudded into the other side. So I did a u-turn and stayed low, going away from the site. I then did a 180, and made a point of arcing up, well above the hill top as I turned. Again, up goes two missiles, and again I ducked down into the valley, safely hidden from the now confused missiles. But this time I flew much further along the valley to a point where I believed that my missiles would now be close enough to achieve launch authority. I quickly crested the hill, with my nose pointing to roughly where I believed the SAM site to be. Bingo! It was dead ahead. This time I was able to get two missiles off, on two of the targets before I had to break off and repeat the run. It went like clockwork, as did the second run. Four missiles, four targets taken out. My heart was racing.

So I got the congratulatory message and headed back to the airfield. I made my worst landing of the week as I over-compensated on the rudder input as I rolled down the runway, setting up a pendulum effect that I was lucky to get under control. I think it was because my legs were shaking still, from the adrenaline-filled mission I had just negotiated. I was so ecstatic because, not only had I completed my first combat mission, and achieved all objectives. But because I had formulated a plan, or strategy that seemed to play to the Frogfoot’s strengths, and it actually worked.

I know that most of you will be thinking, “So what? It’s no big deal”. And to you lot it probably isn’t. But, to me, it was a true eureka moment. I’m still buzzing. And playing the whole episode out in VR just made the experience so very real for me. I now plan to really try and get to grips with this plane before I turn my attention to anything high fidelity. It’s such a great plane too.

So, a great, big thank you to the team behind this incredible piece of software. Truly amazing stuff. Just wish I would have knuckled down all of those years ago, and tried to learn this sim then. So many wasted years. Oh well, better late than never :)

Thanks for the post , reminding us all of why we fly...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks for sharing!

I know the feeling and have experienced exactly what you describe many times since the 80s! But the feeling I get in DCS these days are absolutely the best!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Best regards

Had a look at these videos that you recommended, and I have to say it was a great call. The amount of information this guy puts across is staggering. And all delivered in a manner that I can understand. Now I can TRULY begin to make sense of what I am doing. Thanks again :)

Had a look at these videos that you recommended, and I have to say it was a great call. The amount of information this guy puts across is staggering. And all delivered in a manner that I can understand. Now I can TRULY begin to make sense of what I am doing. Thanks again :)

You'll want to look into Chuck Owls guides if you start flying any other aircraft( or just want a good look at the other modules to know what you're getting into before you buy). Just Google "Chuck's guides". They can be a fantastic aid for all the rest of the airframes, and I don't think it's an understatement to say the DCS community is a bit better off for his efforts

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

this was a great read and i too have felt that joy when accomplishing something. i find myself so engrossed in the misson that i forget nearly everthing else. i too started with A10C like you (and FC3), i now have a faily filled hangar. i fly everything i buy. thanks for the post. it made me forget about lots of other things while reading!

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

You'll want to look into Chuck Owls guides if you start flying any other aircraft( or just want a good look at the other modules to know what you're getting into before you buy). Just Google "Chuck's guides". They can be a fantastic aid for all the rest of the airframes, and I don't think it's an understatement to say the DCS community is a bit better off for his efforts

Thanks for the heads-up. To be honest, I first heard about them a couple of weeks, or so, ago. So I headed on over and had a look but was a bit dismayed to discover that it was high fidelity models only that are covered. Which makes sense, I guess, given that the FC3 content is the beginner stuff that thickos like me are supposed to understand, lol. But I do have my eye on a certain F-5E Tiger II so I’ll definitely be using Chuck’s Guide for that one.

The f-5 is a good transition from fc3 to full-fi. Cockpit is relatively simple to navigate,fully featured without being overly complicated. It's a fun aircraft to fly, and there's plenty you can do with it. Additionally, because it's not a BVR aircraft, you have to really work for your kills, which is satisfying for the same reasons that mastering any other skill is.

L39 and C101 are good candidates for similar reasons

I wouldn't overlook the ka-50 as well.

System:

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I hadn’t even conceived that anyone would really read it, let alone respond :D

A positive message and a reminder of why we're all here (and how far each of us is on in our own journey), why wouldn't we have responded?

Sure beats reading complaints, demands, wishlist, and arguments over "which variant/model/era..."

System:

The f-5 is a good transition from fc3 to full-fi. Cockpit is relatively simple to navigate,fully featured without being overly complicated. It's a fun aircraft to fly, and there's plenty you can do with it. Additionally, because it's not a BVR aircraft, you have to really work for your kills, which is satisfying for the same reasons that mastering any other skill is.

L39 and C101 are good candidates for similar reasons

I wouldn't overlook the ka-50 as well.

That’s partly why I was looking at the F-5 - as a bit of a springboard towards high fidelity models. That, and the fact that I do tend to gravitate towards smaller planes anyhow. Plus, I believe it was quite a well received recreation when it was released.

The KA-50 still fills me full of dread. As I said in my opening post, it was the first thing I ever bought. Not only was it unbelievably complex, but everything was in Russian too, to further make me feel completely out of my depth. Although I guess there is an English cockpit for it now. I never got around to upgrading to the second version. That may have to wait a while. I do have the Huey for my helicopter antics, and absolutely love the flight model. I’m actually not too bad at flying that, though I’ve yet to learn the weapons, and haven’t memorised a cold start yet. But I will.

A positive message and a reminder of why we're all here (and how far each of us is on in our own journey), why wouldn't we have responded?

Sure beats reading complaints, demands, wishlist, and arguments over "which variant/model/era..."

Well, when you put it like that :)

Word!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

ditto +1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain