How to use DCS..... very confused!

I wonder how you guys fly DCS... I meant... ED didn´t update the stable version for AGES!!!

Everything new goes to the Open Beta and people with the only stable version stay behind.

So... What do you fly everyday, the openbeta o the stable version?

What do you use the most?

I used to have both installed but ditched the stable version. I live with the few bugs to have the latest. And all the people and groups I fly with use beta version as well.

That's where the latest goodies are.:pilotfly:

Edited by Hamel

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.

Oh the horror! Stable version not updated! The world is coming to an end. Grow up.

Pretty much the same reaction when an OB update gets delayed by two weeks rather than five months. OP was perhaps being a bit hyperbolic, but the response was uncalled for

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I usually go back and forth. I stay on open beta as long as the performance is good enough. If there's an update that knocks down my performance bad enough that its unplayable I revert to stable until the next open beta update.

Rinse and repeat everytime there is an update.

I only ever play OB and all my squad mates are the same. We 'live' with the bugs but also get to enjoy the latest patches. Unfortunately as always, ED will fix 5 things and break 10. But I guess we are beta testers after all right? so we shouldn't complain.

Highly recommend you join OB. And try the supercarrier...that module is bloody awesome!!

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I exclusively run OB, and with a pretty old rig. Up until a week ago I was averaging 15 fps with a GTX570. So i get a kick out of people complaining about performance and unplayability.

That said. I upgraded just the vid card to a 2060 Super and now average 40 fps with increased graphics. Holy cow, lol. By the end of year i will upgrade the rest of the computer.

I wonder how you guys fly DCS... I meant... ED didn´t update the stable version for AGES!!!

Everything new goes to the Open Beta and people with the only stable version stay behind.

You can change from stable to open beta or back again very easily with this great utility .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

You can also download both versions if you have the storage room , and fly all your aircraft and maps in either .

(Except the ones only available in open beta)

Either of these options allow you to have the latest and greatest , and to fly stable if you have a particularly bad open beta release .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I finally downloaded OB last Saturday and purchased the super carrier, I already have the hornet and TomCat so I was pretty amazed. I’m getting great game performance with my new system and I really haven’t experienced any bugs as far as now. I’m new to DCS so I don’t know what a DCS bug is yet haha! Now I do see the screen flicker sometimes looking down at the water so many that’s a big. Right now I’m only flying the missions in the f18 which are a lot more in the open beta then then the Stable. Also, I haven’t opened the stable version since Saturday. I’d say join the train ride and dload the OB. When I did all my modules where automatically in the open beta which was really cool !!! I didnt have to do things I don’t know how to do yet.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Pretty much the same reaction when an OB update gets delayed by two weeks rather than five months. OP was perhaps being a bit hyperbolic, but the response was uncalled for

If one does a very simple search for "stable" vs "open beta," one easily comes up with at least 2-3 lengthy threads dedicated to what people use and why; and the discussion on pros and cons. Those threads are also relatively recent. All it takes is some minimal effort and answers are given.

His words were chosen carefully to stir the pot, yet again. The response was indeed called for.

I run both. If i want to play with new features I go OB, if you want a stable version that is reliable go full version, pretty simple solution; its not like hard drive space is an issue anymore.

If one does a very simple search for "stable" vs "open beta," one easily comes up with at least 2-3 lengthy threads dedicated to what people use and why; and the discussion on pros and cons. Those threads are also relatively recent. All it takes is some minimal effort and answers are given.

His words were chosen carefully to stir the pot, yet again. The response was indeed called for.

No , it wasn't . Firstly , i looked at his previous posts , and saw little of pot-stirring .

Secondly , new members are valuable to all of us if DCS is to continue to grow , and in any case , people should be treated with respect absent a good reason to do otherwise .

Thirdly , new members may not know how to use the search function , many people have difficulty formulating valid search strings , and some , like me , visit the forums using a tablet , wherein the search function is not available .

Perhaps you should choose your own words more carefully...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I hedged for a long time before loading the Open Beta, finally pulled the trigger last week and I'm having a great time with it. Like many others have said if you have the space on your HD like I do just load both.

I was stable only - I deal with computer issues on a daily basis - but SC changed that.

I was surprised by how many more servers were showing up in the server list after updating to OB. Seems that the majority of people must be running OB. Was a bit of an eye opener to me.

I use the OB pretty much exclusively for 4+ years now. In the rare event that I need to use the Stable for some reason, I just convert my installation to the Stable and then convert back to the Open Beta later. The DCS Updater makes this process incredible easy.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Once ED gets enough information that Open Beta runs smooth enough for everyone they'll update the stable as well. Until then download and use Open Beta.

Live dangerously :pilotfly:

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

I fly OpenBeta, but I don’t recommend it to everyone , Specially guys that cant stand a bug or guys that fly mostly VR.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Steam have six options in beta tab.

- no beta

- final-1.5.8 - Final 1.5.x version

- final-32bit-1.2.16 - The last 32-bit version

- open beta - Public beta version

- open beta-2.5.5.41962 - The last 2.5.5

- stable 1.5.6 version

What is difference between public beta and open beta-2.5.5.41962?

Specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 3080, Quest 2, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals

Only OB for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

OB for me too. If something goes wrong, I come back to previous OB with DCS updater Utiliy.

Had Stable installed but realized it wasn't barely used. Removed stable.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS