Is the cockpit lighting supposed to look like this?

key_stroked

On my screen, it looks horrible. The reds are way too saturated. The lettering is fuzzy, and I'm seeing weird blue pixels on some of the geometry.

The VDI is completely unreadable.

I just came back from a break and it looked nothing like this last year. What's the deal?

831666964_f-14night.thumb.png.721a37092db875c361e06c7fd6c5d8e4.png

On my screen, it looks horrible. The reds are way too saturated. The lettering is fuzzy, and I'm seeing weird blue pixels on some of the geometry.

I just came back from a break and it looked nothing like this last year. What's the deal?

If you look in real Tomcat it looks the same.

The latest update brought it closer to reality specially the bright center point in HUD. You may adjust everything to your desire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The latest update brought it closer to reality specially the bright center point in HUD. You may adjust everything to your desire.

I can't find any pictures of a real F-14A or F-14B cockpit at night. What's your source for your info?

I can't find any pictures of a real F-14A or F-14B cockpit at night. What's your source for your info?
So you mean you neither have any idea of how it looks in real life, but as you don't like it the way it looks like now, must be "wrong"? ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If you reduce brightness to 4-5, it's almost the same level as before.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

The latest update brought it closer to reality specially the bright center point in HUD.

You may want to get your eyes checked for early signs of Cataracts. Lights DO NOT look like that in real life unless something's wrong with your eyes.

So you mean you neither have any idea of how it looks in real life, but as you don't like it the way it looks like now, must be "wrong"? ;)

Well firstly, I already said I couldn't find any pictures of it, so no, I have no idea what it's supposed to look like in real life..which I why I searched for real pictures.

I also never used the word "wrong"...you did. I said it looks horrible. The other guy said it really looks like that, and I simply asked for him/her to provide a source. I'm also pretty sure the real jet doesn't have weird blue pixels within the canopy and engine fire bottle pull handles.

No, they didn’t. The lighting updates in DCS have created some work to do for everyone. The lighting in DCS used to have barely any luminescence at all. So modules were built around that. Now all of a sudden everything is too intense. I’m sure HB will adjust it, but hopefully it’s a lower priority than getting the A done which we’re all itching for. So for now, just turn the lights down.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

The latest update brought it closer to reality

but as you don't like it the way it looks like now, must be "wrong"?

I'll just leave this here. :)

Primary goals for the next several major patches through early to mid summer (now through end of July~) are:

F-14 interior lighting fixes & overhaul (for new lighting system)

Crickets....

Might wanna give people more time than 6 minutes to check forums for new posts.

Re: your photo, it definitely looks brighter, but even though the picture is super grainy, I can still make out numbers on some of the gauges, like the altimeter.

After today's patch, the lighting has gotten worse. Now I can't even see the labels for my ACM buttons in the daytime.

0Qumabx.png

And just as a comparison, this is what the RIO position used to look like before the lighting got all screwed up.

fgGNgQz.png

This is how it looks as of today. The red flood is set to dim, the lowest it can go before turning it off.

x9ZSV5W.png

For those in the thread trying to argue this is realistic....I can only shake my head at you. I don't care how realistic this is, it looks awful. I can't read gauges.

If you're fine with how the lighting looks above, that's cool. But Heatblur doesn't agree with you, and hopefully it gets fixed sooner than later.

Washed lighting issue - Hud, instrumentation, indexers, etc. is not just a CAT issue. Effecting all modules across DCS. Everything is brighter - washed out, and adjusting Gamma doesn't effect the low cockpit lighting. Is kind of curious though that while everything in the cockpit is washed out. The green hud "blob" still exists.

Everyone knows about the issue. It’s affecting all modules. ED is fiddling with the lighting. It doesn’t make sense for HB to chase the issue and they’re probably waiting for the dust to settle so that they only have to fix it one time. Chill.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

OMG, I refuse to trap in the Tomcat anymore. It's bad enough that the AOA indexer was dim no matter what you did. Now you can't see the indexer cues barely at all. I can't tell if I'm trimmed properly, if I should pitch up or down.

Look at the screenies--and I angled the shadow to be on the indexer and zoomed in and I still can't see it unless I get really really close then it's dim and barely visible.

The HUD is super dim also. And then when the sun shines on it, I mean forget it. This is so friggin bad. It's bad enough the LSO tells you bad information (he was saying I was low when I was way high, just horrible calls).

It's such a waste of time trying to get a good trap in the Tomcat now. Heartbreaking.

v6,

boNes

Screen_200604_034514.thumb.png.4382d12c5512a1c6ab1787df2db8f40a.png

Screen_200604_034533.thumb.png.49c754e6d5d3c2a3d02b4773f5c25f96.png

Screen_200604_034552.thumb.png.dd7c5041cc16e312bf35555318185d74.png

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Everyone knows about the issue. It’s affecting all modules. ED is fiddling with the lighting. It doesn’t make sense for HB to chase the issue and they’re probably waiting for the dust to settle so that they only have to fix it one time. Chill.

The dust has been settling for like 5 months now.

ED literally just changed everything again in yesterday's open beta. What would you like HB to do about that?

This was more directed towards ED and not HB. I know HB can't do anything about this and need clear answers from ED as to when these changes to alpha textures and lighting will be considered "final".