Need help: Electronics parts and ideas for Thrustmast Warthog extension.

Elphaba

Hi.

I am utterly new to electronics (never soldered anything in my life).

I've got a new set of Warthog extensions but I need a cable to go inside them.

One of them is really 'curvy' and so the normal male/female 5 pin mini din connectors won't fit - they're too long.

Now I don't know the names or parts of any electronics or wiring stuff, so I'm asking for help.

My idea is that instead of using those long hard plastic connectors I would solder on a 'ferrule' or 'thrimble' or whatever it's called, onto the end of 5 wires, such that one end is a female 'tube' that pushes onto the pins of the grip, and a male 'pin' end, that I can push into the warthog / virpil base.

Obviously I'd need to remember which colour wire goes on which pin, but this way with my curvy extension nothing is going to block it from fitting in, and it's not like I change grips that often.

I've spent about an hour and a half looking for what these 'pin' connectors would be called, but I can't find anything.

Am I imagining that this is possible or does someone know what I'm looking for?

Any help would be massively appreciated, as I'm going to have to buy a soldering iron and learn to do this.

They are called mini-din (at least in germany)

https://www.reichelt.de/mini-din-stecker-5-pol-bkl-0204003-p235711.html?&trstct=pol_4&nbc=1

You need 5-pin version, for the female part you can take 6-pin

You misunderstand, I already mentioned the 5 pin mini din.

I'm trying to do without the midi din connectors on the 'extension cable', and instead just have 5 wires, each end having either a male or a female 'pin'.

It's this 'pin' that I don't know how to find or what it's called.

Ok, my bad. Maybe dupont cables could be what you need? You can take off the plastic cover. But I would stick with the mini din plugs because they do not fall off as easy as the dupont cables. You could take off the plastic cover of them also for more convenience in threading them through your extensions.

I always used a PS/2 cable, you need to remove the plastic in the middle and the extra pin IIRC.

Never had any issues with it

That's great for you, but as I already described, I can't fit a regular cable in my curved extension because there isn't enough room for the hard plastic collar of the connection plug.

That's why I need to wire up a **custom** solution.

Please can people read the problem and help with what I'm asking and not try to solve something else? Thanks.

Please can people read the problem and help with what I'm asking and not try to solve something else? Thanks.

And that's how you stop getting help, but I will try one last time.

The pieces of a connector that actually make a connection are called pins and sockets, depending on which gender they are. It would be a bad idea to try to make the connection with only pins and sockets inside the extension because it would work loose over time. The pins do not have enough friction to hold.

The metal and plastic piece that holds the pin/sockets is called the shell. This is the part that actually holds the connector in place.

The larger plastic piece at the back of the shell is called, appropriately, the backshell. This usually provides strain relief for the wire coming out of the connector as well as a place to hold the connector when plugging/unplugging.

You asked for any help available. The folks above suggested that you use one of multiple connectors without a backshell. When you purchase a connector it comes disassembled so you can access the back of the pins/sockets to attach the wires. Once the wires are attached, you typically attach the backshell. In your case, the others suggested using only the shell and not attaching the backshell which will make the connector as short as possible.

I hope this helps.

If you take a look at the link pasted by Crash Test Pilot (https://www.reichelt.de/mini-din-ste...ct=pol_4&nbc=1

) you will see that the connector is made up of a load of bits, but I think the one at the bottom right is all you need, and then solder on the connecting wires, use heatshrink to cover the bare connections, then just lead the wires away. Further down the same page is a female socket connector, you could cut that back so that there are no flanges, and repeat the solder / heatshrink process.

If it is safely inside a tube and properly insulated, there should be no reason it shouldn't work

Les