Wheel brakes

markturner1960

Hi, is there a way to increase the effect of these? They are very slow at actually retarding the jet, what ways do you guys have the axis set up and tuned? The emergency brake stops the jet almost (stanly at taxi speed, yet for me I can have the brakes mashed flat and jet just slides very slowly to a halt......should they not work like brakes on a car, IE, press really hard and you can lock the wheel?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi, is there a way to increase the effect of these?

Yes:

1. Land at or below the maximum landing weight (39,000lbs for an airfield landing with flare maneuver). Excess weight requires substantially more brake energy to absorb, and the aircraft must fly a faster approach (see #2).

2. Land at the required landing speed. Excess speed results in an exponential increase in kinetic energy which the brakes must absorb to stop the aircraft.

3. Land in the appropriate configuration. Incorrect configuration will require increased speeds to compensate (see #2), or have a reduction in drag, adding more strain to the wheel brakes.

4. Perform proper landing procedure. Augment wheel braking with aerodynamic techniques to safely increase drag. Failing to perform these actions, or failing to respect the limitations of the wheel brakes will hinder landing performance.

5. Choose an appropriate runway, and land with enough runway remaining available to stop.

:thumbup:

When you're landing do you take the throttle back to full idle before you have weight on wheels (WOW)? If so, you need to push it ahead a little bit then pull it back to idle after you get WOW to get to ground idle. Otherwise you'll stay in flight idle and be giving more thrust than you think which could be reducing your braking effectiveness.

Thanks guys, but I am talking about when taxiing, not hurtling down the runway after landing....

When taxiing how quickly do you stop when you apply the brakes fully? It takes a fair while to stop for me, I just feel that I don’t perhaps have them set up correctly in the options.....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Shouldn't be any issues unless you're taxiing too fast. Whether they're set up correctly is easy to check using the controls indicator.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Anti skid prevents brake locking up, turn it off and lock up should work, haven't tried it so don't know if it actually works.

Not sure if this is just a visual goof of DCS but I can have anti skid on and go for maximum braking and leave solid black tire marks all the way down the runway after landing.

As far as the OP I must agree that the wheel brakes on the F/A-18 in DCS are just trash. The up side is that you can land at speeds that would make the F-16 jealous for being that slow and controllable. When light enough on gas not unusual to land in the 120s.

Edited by Stubbies2003

Shouldn't be any issues unless you're taxiing too fast. Whether they're set up correctly is easy to check using the controls indicator.

I am taxying slowly......I can see they come on etc using Rctrl enter but was thinking about using axis tune to make them have full effect right away...

I just set axis x saturation to 50 and it seems to have the desired effect.......

I am taxying slowly......I can see they come on etc using Rctrl enter but was thinking about using axis tune to make them have full effect right away...

I just set axis x saturation to 50 and it seems to have the desired effect.......

what´s your taxi ground speed? I think limit is 15GS. Real world brakes wear a lot. Also remember it´s a naval design so they have other ways of slowing down lol.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

When you're landing do you take the throttle back to full idle before you have weight on wheels (WOW)? If so, you need to push it ahead a little bit then pull it back to idle after you get WOW to get to ground idle. Otherwise you'll stay in flight idle and be giving more thrust than you think which could be reducing your braking effectiveness.

I need to read more the manual, thank you. I didn’t know about that two type of iddle.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

where can you see your ground speed when taxying?

My crosswinds..... after adjusting the saturation, they now work twice as well.

My crosswinds..... after adjusting the saturation, they now work twice as well.

OK I am confused by this one. What I would think would be a norm with any decent pedals (and crosswinds are more than decent by far) would be x axis left toe brake y axis right toe brake so if you indeed got twice as good braking adjusting the x axis I would think stomping on the left brake would give you a left turn as well since the right (y axis) shouldn't have been affected at all.

Hi, obviously I adjusted both axis....In case this helps anyone else, here is what I found:

Set as standard, IE, an inverted slider, i was finding the brakes to be quite ineffectual, it was taking way to long to slow down. Whether this was to be expected due to perhaps ground speed being too high, I don't know, but anyway, they took forever to bring me to a halt.

I used R ctrl enter to show the physical controls on screen. With the standard setting, I noticed the triangle that appears when you depress the toe brake was quite small.

By trial and error ( as I am still not clear by the way exactly what the saturation Y & X scales do when axis tuning...) I found that if I put x saturation for each axis at 50%, curvature zero and had it set as an inverted slider, then when I tested in the jet, the toe brakes were now way more effective, bringing me to a halt at least twice as quick. using the on screen controls visualizer, the triangle that shows the degree of input for that axis was now twice as long and wide......

What that means and why, I cant say, all I know, is now, my brakes work as I wanted.

Hope that helps.

You can also check it in Controls / Axis command screen. Scroll down to your "Brake" commands and pump the pedals. A white line will extend to one extent of the box bottom when pressed, then to the other extent when released.

So this idea piqued my interest, I decided to run some tests and compare them against the landing distance values in the -200 for the F404-GE-400 engine (cant find the charts for -402):

Conditions:

-Temp 20C

-Pressure 2992

-Field Elev 0ft

-Density ratio 1.0

-Wind 0kts

Results:

32,000lbs = 3,500ft (3.5 deg)

Expected = 2,020ft

36,000lbs = 4,000ft (3.5 deg, I know this landing is out of parameters)

Expected = 2,720ft

39,000lbs = 4,400ft (flared)

Expected = 3,700ft

Conclusion:

Assuming my tests were accurate, then we are seeing a consistent overrun across the board.

Interestingly, if you read the chart from the -200 wrong, then the results seen in DCS are pretty much bang on what the chart 'says'.

I can't help but wonder if ED have in fact read the chart wrong when calibrating this.

Having said this though, 4,400ft is afaik short enough to land on any field in DCS apart from that 3000ft runway on a PG island.

Edited by Swiftwin9s

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• 3 months later...

I've just found out why I kept running off the end of the runway after landing; it's because I thought you simply had to tap the wheel brakes key to engage them, but you don't, you have to HOLD THE KEY DOWN to keep the brakes on, duh...

PS- you can test to see if your WB key is working by taxiing along a runway and going to external side view, and you should see the nose dip slightly as you hold down the WB key, and your speed readout should also drop dramatically..:)

My key assignment-

AA3-brakes.jpg

Putting ON/OFF in the binding name does suggest it's a toggle. Pretty careless by the devs.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I see... there, you don't use brake either, right? :thumbup:

Right, as a longtime wargamer, I make love like I play wargames, quickly, brutally, decisively..:)

Gen. Erwin Rommel- "Concentrate strength at one point, force a breakthrough, roll up the flanks, penetrating like lightning deep into the rear before the enemy has time to react"