Rift S or Index?

VC

As a current Vive user the Index (headset only) should be a no-brainer upgrade path for me. However, I recently started having some tracking issues and I'm starting to suspect failing base stations, which changes things in two ways:

• Firstly, it pushes the price up for upgrading to the Index if I need to buy replacement base stations as well
  • Secondly, it creates a bit more urgency to my upgrade, not the "ships in 8 weeks if you're lucky, probably way more and you have no idea when" of the Index

Yes, the Rift S is out of stock as well, but in some places I'm seeing stock expected back mid-June. Obviously the Index is better... but is it that much better that it's worth waiting months and months for, and potentially having to pay extra if I commit to it then my base stations die?

I've read a lot of good things about the Rift S, seem to be plenty of happy users (even Wags recommends it). If I see a Rift S in stock way sooner than Valve can ship me an Index, should I just get it there and then and be done with the base station risk/complexity?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Well,,, you didn't list your system specs.

I will tell you why I love my Rift S.

Simplicity. With it's insight tracking (inside-out) and 5 cameras on the headset, it is quite nice.

Tracking is very good with very little if any muss or fuss.

Plug in the headset USB, and the headset Display Port, and off you go.

Touch Controllers also are very nice to have for other games. You ain't lived till you play Half Life Alyx.

One caveat - Rift S audio strap sucks. I use earbuds plugged into the headset's headphone jack, and sound is great that way.

Also the built in mic can be iffy, mine would cut out a lot, so I just added a desktop USB mic. I don't think that is a widespread issue though as I don't see a ton of reports of it from other users.

Index - very nice setup. Will take more horsepower to power it, or lower graphics below what you can run say in the Rift S. I have been tempted to get one, but I just don't want to mess with that tracking system after getting used to the simplicity of inside/out tracking of the Rift S.

Plus I can run some really fairly high graphics and it looks great in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you're sure your base station is failing. Sell your remaining base station on ebay for 100 bucks and get Reverb G2. Vive base stations still sell for good money thanks to Index, Pimax, and Cosmos Elite.

If he did not want to wait 8 weeks for Index, I doubt he will want to wait for G2 in the Fall.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I suggest the Reverb.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

If he did not want to wait 8 weeks for Index, I doubt he will want to wait for G2 in the Fall.

Aware of that. And my suggestion was based on the fact that 8 weeks is very worth the wait for higher spec of Reverb G2 over Rift S. It's not like he has nothing right now. And frankly, Rift S is not much of an upgrade over original Vive.

Hey dburne, with the free time we all have I've been spending late night in the Big Screen. I was talking to someone with the same mic cut-out issue you describe, others have mentioned the issue as well.

Maybe you could shed some light on these recent changes. I don't know if it just happened with the last update a couple of days ago but I've been able to bump my A/F from 4 to 16, visible range from high to ultra, SSAA from off to x2 and MSAA mask size from default 0.41 to 1.0. without any noticeable drop in performance/FPS.

Can it be just a good job on the latest couple of updates? I appreciate the difference with the bump in A/F, and Ultra, but not sure if I'm getting anything else with the other 2 bumps?

By the way I really like the Super Carrier!

Edited by fitness88

Aware of that. And my suggestion was based on the fact that 8 weeks is very worth the wait for higher spec of Reverb G2 over Rift S. It's not like he has nothing right now. And frankly, Rift S is not much of an upgrade over original Vive.

Fall could well be a little longer than 8 weeks.

My suggestion was based on Index or Rift S which was the question.

Also for that matter he could get a Reverb now which the G2 is not that much higher spec, in fact resolution is the same.

Can't say about Rift S over Vive, but it sure was a nice upgrade over Rift CV1. And I always heard CV1 looked a little better than Vive.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Hey dburne, with the free time we all have I've been spending late night in the Big Screen. I was talking to someone with the same mic cut-out issue you describe, others have mentioned the issue as well.

Maybe you could shed some light on these recent changes. I don't know if it just happened with the last update a couple of days ago but I've been able to bump my A/F from 4 to 16, visible range from high to ultra, SSAA from off to x2 and MSAA mask size from default 0.41 to 1.0. without any noticeable drop in performance/FPS.

Can it be just a good job on the latest couple of updates? I appreciate the difference with the bump in A/F, and Ultra, but not sure if I'm getting anything else with the other 2 bumps?

By the way I really like the Super Carrier!

Yes I have seen a performance bump. I have always run 16x AF though as I never saw a big performance penalty from it. I do not run SSAA and really for VR you shouldn't. I do run MSAA Mask Size at 1.

And what was a little strange, I was running terrain shadows at flat only. Changed it to Default and even got a little bump in fps from that.

Yeah I am loving flying the Hornet of the Super Carrier!

Don B

I have zero zero complaints about my rift S in DCS. Anything I have had to deal with has been my own doing messing with settings or some updates causing some issues over others which seems to different person to person. I wish I could try other VR setups before I commit on my system. I know I can handle more but the how simple the Rift S is just will wait until the next big VR leap. I have no issues seeing targets within visual, or reading my guages/mfds.

The two have a similar display quality , with the Index's extra pixels largely going to a larger FOV . The Index offers some clear advantages in Fov , audio , room-scale tracking , controllers and build quality (not that the Rift S is bad , but it certainly doesn't offer the same premium feel) .

However

Judging by posts in these forums , users seem to have performance issues , as it seems to occupy an unhappy place in terms of pixel counts compared to the S , yet requires more supersampling than the Reverb for clarity .

Those points , your own priorities , cost and , as dburne said , your system's capabilities (particularly the GPU) should inform your choice .

Personally , i'm excited about the Reverb G2 , which will be a better DCS headset than either :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Rift S or Index?

The answer is clear as day, get Reverb G2. Preorder now, delivery in Fall.

LOL.

You can submit to a " get notified" button and enter your name and email address.

Not hardly a pre-order, at least how I think of a pre-order.

Don B

I do not run SSAA and really for VR you shouldn't.

What is the reason for not using SSAA with VR?

Terrain Object Shadows

• Default – Flat shadows from trees, buildings, poles and towers on the ground +

shading.

• Flat – Flat shadows from trees, buildings, poles and towers on the ground.

• Off – Shadows from trees, buildings, poles and towers are off.

Edited by fitness88

Thanks for the help!

My system specs are:

i5-9600k

RTX 2080

32GB RAM

M.2 SSD

I can just about hit 90 FPS with the settings I have now in the Vive, no supersampling, 4x MSAA with 0.2 mask, medium vis range, 2x AF, most other stuff on medium. I used to run 200% SteamVR supersampling and 0x MSAA that gave similar performance.

I briefly looked at the Reverb and dismissed it, it just seems to sacrifice everything (like wear comfort) for huge pixel count that I'm not even sure I can comfortably run. Plus it has the same availability issues.

Rift S audio - I wear a Corsair Void Pro headset over my Vive, it's super comfortable and sound and mic quality are amazing. Can I comfortably wear this over the Rift S halo?

Rift S FoV - how bad does 90 decrees really look? That's a step down from Vive but given the edges are fuzzy to look at anyway I'm not sure how much it would matter.

VC

Thanks for the help!

My system specs are:

i5-9600k

RTX 2080

32GB RAM

M.2 SSD

I can just about hit 90 FPS with the settings I have now in the Vive, no supersampling, 4x MSAA with 0.2 mask, medium vis range, 2x AF, most other stuff on medium. I used to run 200% SteamVR supersampling and 0x MSAA that gave similar performance.

I briefly looked at the Reverb and dismissed it, it just seems to sacrifice everything (like wear comfort) for huge pixel count that I'm not even sure I can comfortably run. Plus it has the same availability issues.

Rift S audio - I wear a Corsair Void Pro headset over my Vive, it's super comfortable and sound and mic quality are amazing. Can I comfortably wear this over the Rift S halo?

Rift S FoV - how bad does 90 decrees really look? That's a step down from Vive but given the edges are fuzzy to look at anyway I'm not sure how much it would matter.

My ears do not accept earbuds very well , so i wear a Razr Kraken headset over my halo . Although i have no problems with fitment , i do find that the cables invariably get tangled . Taking the headset and the Razr off as a unit works much better , but must be done with care to avoid dropping one or the other .

No experience with the Vive . The Rift S is supposed to have 110 fov measured diagonally . Does the Vive spec measure horizontally ?

I am leaving Oculus , after owning both the CV1 and the Rift S . HP has very aggressively addressed all the Reverb's shortcomings with the G2 , while Oculus still can't be bothered to provide an oem audio solution for the S . Quite a contrast .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Borrowing my dads Rift S.

For sims? It's awesome. Beatsaber? Pretty good.

Anything roomscale where you move your hands out of view of the cameras? It's garbage. Skyrim VR can't pull a bow (Controller near face means it can't see it, so no luck unless you only half pull). Golf? Can't swing the club (no cameras in back).

Went back to my CV1 quite happily. Looking at next gen with external tracking.

I went to the Rift S from Rift cv-1 but due to an IPD conflict had to return it. For me it was a noticeable marginal improvement. I am very happy with my Rift cv-1 performance and quality.

I don't think there will be a sudden quality and performance mega leap in VR technology for those waiting. Could it be done, probably, would it be good business, probably not.

Edited by fitness88

Borrowing my dads Rift S.

For sims? It's awesome. Beatsaber? Pretty good.

Anything roomscale where you move your hands out of view of the cameras? It's garbage. Skyrim VR can't pull a bow (Controller near face means it can't see it, so no luck unless you only half pull). Golf? Can't swing the club (no cameras in back).

Went back to my CV1 quite happily. Looking at next gen with external tracking.

If you have a stout rig and don't mind the cost, the Valve Index might be a good choice.

Don B

Thanks for the help!

My system specs are:

i5-9600k

RTX 2080

32GB RAM

M.2 SSD

If comfort, FOV, and audio is your concern, Rift S will be step down from Vive. I wouldn't say Rift S is more comfortable than Reverb.

Watch some reviews.

And I am pretty certain facebook is gonna abandon Rift S and go full on Quest line.

It sounds like you have your mind set on Rift S. Go ahead and buy it, but make sure you buy from somewhere you can return for free.

If comfort, FOV, and audio is your concern, Rift S will be step down from Vive. I wouldn't say Rift S is more comfortable than Reverb.

Watch some reviews.

And I am pretty certain facebook is gonna abandon Rift S and go full on Quest line.

It sounds like you have your mind set on Rift S. Go ahead and buy it, but make sure you buy from somewhere you can return for free.

I'm not dead set on the Rift S, I'm just phrasing my questions like that to push people into giving me the answers I want because the Index is more clear cut and I don't really need more info on that. I haven't made a choice yet.

Ultimately though, it seems these things have excellent resale value so that's another safety net.

Edited by VC

VC

Watch some reviews.

Vive? Index is made by Valve.

While here lately it certainly seems Oculus has been focused on Quest, they still push out the PTC (Beta) versions of the software to the Rift first. I have been on the PTC for some time now, and so far everything still working splendid with my Rift S. But yes I do agree, focus seems to have shifted to Quest. But even that uses the Oculus Rift software for the Link connection.

In any event, Index or Rift S, I don't think anyone would go wrong with either one. If Index just had inside/out tracking like Oculus Insight has, I would probably have already ordered one. It would be cheaper and less hassle to set up that it currently is.

Don B

I've gone from the CV1 to the Rift S, and there are a couple immediate drawbacks to the inside out design. The most significant is it requires the room to be remain lit. If you're playing in a shared bedroom for example at night, the tracking tends to fail. In the case of the Rift S it can pull you out the game and ask you to recalibrate, and will do it every time you take the headset off and put it back on. Though you can bypass the face sensor to keep the headset on even while removed. Beyond that I find myself having to recenter it in DCS more frequently. The overall experience is better with external sensors, but I don't know if the Index is quite worth the cost to me personally. The only improvement in the S over the CV1 is the resolution, but everything thing else feels like a downgrade. Also occasionally the mic turns to garbage.