JDAM's

The_Sko

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am not having any luck with the JDAM's after the new patch. If someone could point me to the proper procedure for releasing 2+ JDAMS at 2+ different targets that would be wonderful. I'm sure it's me just messing something up, I just don't get it.

Thanks!

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am not having any luck with the JDAM's after the new patch. If someone could point me to the proper procedure for releasing 2+ JDAMS at 2+ different targets that would be wonderful. I'm sure it's me just messing something up, I just don't get it.

Thanks!

So I think it may be different now with the new Stable version, but the way I did it previously was to be sure and UNDESIGNATE any target BEFORE moving on to the next one and UNDESIGNATE again when done. I believe this isn't necessary any longer when switching between TOO1 and TOO2, but I did it anyway and it works. This is for 2 JDAM on one pylon. For more, just STEP to the next Station and repeat. For me, the key was UNDESIGNATING each time, but that may no longer be necessary.

1. Set up JDAM Fuzing etc..

2. Go to JDAM DISPLAY. Select TOO mode

3. Go to MSN page. Highlight TOO1

4. Feed in Coordinates by WPDESG or TPOD (TDC DEPRESS ON TARGET).

5. UNDESIGNATE

6. Highlight TOO2

7. Feed in new Coordinates by WPDESG or TPOD (TDC DEPRESS ON TARGET)

8. UNDESIGNATE

9. Check TOO1 and TOO2 to be sure Coordinates are not overwritten.

10. Head toward Target. Pickle on CUE for TOO1

11. Switch to TOO2 and Pickle on CUE.

I need to go back and check, but I found that when I did this on the ground, and subsequently Designated a different target for GBU, the new coordinates got passed to JDAM. Possibly this is because I failed to UNDESIGNATE before switching back to JDAM..but it is something to watch out for.

You shouldn't need to undesignate when switching a station to TOO2, or even when stepping to another station. The only time you should have to undesignate is before stepping to a station or selecting a TOO coordinate that has already been designated, or before launch so that none of the TOO coordinates become overwritten as the weapons are released.

So for example if you had 4 JDAMs loaded on two BRU-55s (let's assume stations 8 and 2), it might look like this:

- Designate TOO1 on Station 8.

- Switch to and designate TOO2 on Station 8.

- Step to and designate TOO1 on Station 2.

- Switch to and designate TOO2 on Station 2.

- Undesignate.

At this point, all the TOO1 and TOO2 coordinates on Stations 8 and 2 should be different, and you should be able to step through and switch between coordinates freely without any being overwritten.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Thanks. That is what I thought from reading through the threads. I never ran the BETA, just the previous STABLE 2.5.5 where the extra UNDESIGNATE was required. Just became a habit :)

EDIT: OK the key is UNDESIGNATING before going back to CHECK the coordinates as you put in the last step. If you don't, when I cycle back to check all the TOO missions, they will get over-written with the current target. No need to UNDESIGNATE between Stations/Bombs

Edited by Recluse

So I think it may be different now with the new Stable version, but the way I did it previously was to be sure and UNDESIGNATE any target BEFORE moving on to the next one and UNDESIGNATE again when done. I believe this isn't necessary any longer when switching between TOO1 and TOO2, but I did it anyway and it works. This is for 2 JDAM on one pylon. For more, just STEP to the next Station and repeat. For me, the key was UNDESIGNATING each time, but that may no longer be necessary.

1. Set up JDAM Fuzing etc..

2. Go to JDAM DISPLAY. Select TOO mode

3. Go to MSN page. Highlight TOO1

4. Feed in Coordinates by WPDESG or TPOD (TDC DEPRESS ON TARGET).

5. UNDESIGNATE

6. Highlight TOO2

7. Feed in new Coordinates by WPDESG or TPOD (TDC DEPRESS ON TARGET)

8. UNDESIGNATE

9. Check TOO1 and TOO2 to be sure Coordinates are not overwritten.

10. Head toward Target. Pickle on CUE for TOO1

11. Switch to TOO2 and Pickle on CUE.

I need to go back and check, but I found that when I did this on the ground, and subsequently Designated a different target for GBU, the new coordinates got passed to JDAM. Possibly this is because I failed to UNDESIGNATE before switching back to JDAM..but it is something to watch out for.

Ah, I had all these steps down perfectly, except for 11. I was just leaving it at TOO1 and never switched it over to 2. That makes sense, thank you all for the reply!

With the TGP going to snowplow mode after undesignating, is there a way to keep it slewed on the last target after having dropped muliple JDAMs like described above to watch the impacts?

Or do we have to wait for mark point implementation?

Just slew the TGP to another target and designate with TDC - depress. No need to undesignate in between.

i7-6850K | GTX1080 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Pro

Just slew the TGP to another target and designate with TDC - depress. No need to undesignate in between.

When you do this, it replaces all targets in the TOO with the new Designated Target. Previously, it would retain the other target, allowing you to create upto 8 targets. Anyone figured out a work around for this ?

Edited by gonk

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

@cabzi : When I don't undesignate after the last TOO all JDAMs go to that one. And when I do undesignate TGP goes to snowplow and I can't observe the impact(s).

Have to correct myself: I have tested some more and I have to say it worked as intended. When I'm in TOO mode, undesignating does not get the TGP to snowplow mode but stays at the former designated target, as it should to solve my problem. (known issue to me: after dropping the last JDAM in TOO mode, I can't get to VVSLV because it is stuck in TOO mode.)

Edited by Tom Kazansky

very interesting to me: @3:49 min in this video, the undesignation after the 8th target gets his TGP to snowplow. That is how I remembered before I wrote my initial post (#7) in this thread, too.

Today's testing showed another behavior: as long as am in TOO mode, undesignating does not go to snowplow. which is good. So I can observe the impacts without looking for the target area again. All fine here.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I can't get this to work, every time i designate a target the co-ordinates update for all of the bombs.

I've followed RedKite's and Chazflyz's videos, neither work.

The bomb on TOO mode will take the coordinates of whichever TGT is designated, as you step through them. That's why you need to undesignate to remove the TGT before stepping to the next bomb, and after the last bomb.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

How do you check that all other bombs have same coordinates?

I'd recommend you to test it first with 2 targets at the time from 2 different stations... then move to 4... and then to 8 as the video explains...

Be sure you've set your TOO and fuses on all stations, then go to the FLIR

1. TDC depress on 1st Target

2. Press STEP on Stores page

3. TDC depress on 2nd Target

4. Press NWS/Undesignate

If you want to check both stations have different coordinates, press the STEP OBS.... Finally, once you're in the range cue, press the Pickle button once per bomb (check the station switches each time it delivers)

Hope it works for you!

I'd recommend you to test it first with 2 targets at the time from 2 different stations... then move to 4... and then to 8 as the video explains...

Be sure you've set your TOO and fuses on all stations, then go to the FLIR

1. TDC depress on 1st Target

2. Press STEP on Stores page

3. TDC depress on 2nd Target

4. Press NWS/Undesignate

If you want to check both stations have different coordinates, press the STEP OBS.... Finally, once you're in the range cue, press the Pickle button once per bomb (check the station switches each time it delivers)

Hope it works for you!

It works perfectly for me. I just asked MoCluck how he checks the coordinates because I thought he did not undesignate before checking or dropping the bombs. If he did, every station in TOO should show the right coordinates before dropping bombs.

Btw. I find your proposal to start testing with just two bombs very useful.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I managed to get it to work on 3 different targets with last 2 bombs hitting the same target. I'm not sure how i managed to get it. I might have undesignated each time. or some combination of changing between TOO and PP mode. Undesignating a target slews the tpod back to center though

I was checking the co-ords on the JDAM mission page for each station. If i can step through the bombs and the co-ords are different for each one, then I know it will go to a different target.

Would be interesting to know if the recent open beta build is correct in terms of usability in real life. I highly doubt it.

If I would design the logic as a pilot, it would make sense to:

1: point FLIR over the target then depress to store the coords on the selected jdam

2: switch to next jdam (coords should be empty by default) and just point FLIR over the next target and depress to store the coords into the selected jdam

3: repeat for other jdams

Simply as that, would it make sense?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

Would be interesting to know if the recent open beta build is correct in terms of usability in real life. I highly doubt it.

If I would design the logic as a pilot, it would make sense to:

1: point FLIR over the target then depress to store the coords on the selected jdam

2: switch to next jdam (coords should be empty by default) and just point FLIR over the next target and depress to store the coords into the selected jdam

3: repeat for other jdams

Simply as that, would it make sense?

it works almost exactly like that, just after STEP the coords are still the same (means not empty). But you can designate the next target and go on with STEP. In my stable DCS undesignation while in TOO mode does not get the TPOD straight. It just leaves it on the last spot/last target. So when I undesignate after the last target designation and dropp the JDAMs, I can observe the impacts.

it works almost exactly like that, just after STEP the coords are still the same (means not empty). But you can designate the next target and go on with STEP. In my stable DCS undesignation while in TOO mode does not get the TPOD straight. It just leaves it on the last spot/last target. So when I undesignate after the last target designation and dropp the JDAMs, I can observe the impacts.

True, but only for one targeting plan (T001). The logic in stepping acts very strange when trying to step to another weapon station on another targeting plan (T002, T003 etc.).

Sometimes it steps correctly to next station, sometimes it steps backwards to targeting plan (T001) and then automatically overwrites the GPS-data of that station.

I suppose, by pressing STEP, the current GPS-data gets automatically injected on the current station. This is a problem, with more than 2 JDAMS.

So in the current logic and using more than 2 JDAMS, it is necessary to undesignate after designating the target. Which is the next problem: the FLIR resets to snowplow-mode and you have to acquire the target fully again. Not ideal.

I think we are getting a mix of DCS Stable, and DCS Beta (2.5.6.50321). The lastest BETA (2.5.6.50321 updated less than 24hours ago) has changed the TOO functionality for JDAMS.

The previous Beta (2.5.6.49798) build worked ok, but the new Beta (2.5.6.50321) Build it is setting all TOO targets to the same location. I am doing what the above video said, and it used to work.

Edited by gonk

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

True, but only for one targeting plan (T001). The logic in stepping acts very strange when trying to step to another weapon station on another targeting plan (T002, T003 etc.).

Sometimes it steps correctly to next station, sometimes it steps backwards to targeting plan (T001) and then automatically overwrites the GPS-data of that station.

I suppose, by pressing STEP, the current GPS-data gets automatically injected on the current station. This is a problem, with more than 2 JDAMS.

So in the current logic and using more than 2 JDAMS, it is necessary to undesignate after designating the target. Which is the next problem: the FLIR resets to snowplow-mode and you have to acquire the target fully again. Not ideal.

here it is like this: STEP does step through stations, not TOO1/TOO2. (there ist no TOO3 here btw.). When you change e.g. station 8 from PP to TOO1 it will stay in TOO1 for station 8, no matter what you do with the other stations. Means: when you get back to station 8 it will be TOO1. It works like this for every station.

So you can do

station 8 -> TOO1,

station 2 -> PP,

station 7 -> TOO2,

station 3 -> TOO1.

When you now step through the stations it seams like TOO1/2/PP switches randomly, but it does not! It will show what you have chosen for each station before.

In our example starting from station 8 using STEP:

TOO1

PP

TOO2

TOO1

(like above chosen)

that sounds more complicated than it is, just give it a try.

Just another hint: activate the active pause to test/ play with that ;)

EDIT: @gonk: you may be right. I'm using stable, so I can't tell what OB is doing.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

here it is like this: STEP does step through stations, not TOO1/TOO2. (there ist no TOO3 here btw.). When you change e.g. station 8 from PP to TOO1 it will stay in TOO1 for station 8, no matter what you do with the other stations. Means: when you get back to station 8 it will be TOO1. It works like this for every station.

So you can do

station 2 -> TOO1,

station 8 -> PP,

station 3 -> TOO2,

station 7 -> TOO1.

When you now step through the stations it seams like TOO1/2/PP switches randomly, but it does not! It will show what you have chosen for each station before.

In our example starting from station 2 using STEP:

TOO1

PP

TOO2

TOO1

(like above chosen)

that sounds mor complicated than it is, just give it a try.

Just another hint: activate the active pause to test/ play with that ;)

EDIT: @gonk: you may be right. I'm using stable, so I can't tell what OB is doing.

Yea :) They changed the logic on current Open Beta 2.5.6.50321 and undesignate works different there. I am on OpenBeta ;)