[REPORTED]Inconsistency/De-Sync with unit positions in MP

bainsy

My group has noted a strange issue since OB 2.5.6.49718 where unit position reported to Tacview and scripts (in our case CTLD) differ from actual unit position in the game.

We first noticed that LGBs dropped on targets that were designated using the CTLD JTAC Autolase script were missing their mark by approx. 50 meters. The first bomb in the attack sequence would always hit, the remaining targets would disperse by 20-100 meters as they normally do after an attack, then all subsequent bombs would miss even though the script was reporting that it is lazing a new target. Upon analyzing the Tacview recording, the bombs that missed appeared to be direct hits in the Tacview file, therefore the data read by Tacview and CTLD is the same, but inconsistent with actual unit location in the sim (we were seeing the bombs hit 50 meters away in F6 view).

These observations were made on a Dedicated Server hosted mission (Track File Attached).

To be clear, I fully understand that Tacview and 3rd party script are not supported by ED. In this case, Tacview and CTLD script just help expose the symptoms of the problem (inconsistent unit location data output from the sim).

Track File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsx3bpy8zh0x2o2/current-20200529-091301.trk?dl=0

Server Spec:

Intel Core i7-9750H

16GB Ram

Nvidia GTX 1070

512GB SSD

Edited by bainsy

Further to this, there is definitely something odd going on with unit dispersion. When a unit within a group is hit, there is some sort of desync occuring in MP which results in:

1) Some clients see units floating left/right or instantly warping to a new position

2) JDAM/JSOWs (designated by Hornet TGP) miss targets by 30m even though replaying the Tacview track shows a direct hit

3) JTAC scripts also see the unit in a different location than what is rendered to clients

In the attached screenshot, Tacview shows a direct hit, while in game this bomb missed the vehicle by 30 meters.

Another potential clue for the ED dev team is that self lasing a designated target that dispersed with the hornet TGP works (GBU-12), but trying to hit a designated target with a JDAM (TOO mode GBU-38 ) misses by approx 30 meters every time.

My theory is that the elevation output after dispersion is corrupted.

1087488107_Annotation2020-06-03122950.png.3c50813d1d4e6d19bc2824e2b41dfbf4.png

Edited by bainsy

• ED Team

Hi bainsy, we spoke on discord.

the track replay did not show a lot, just a carrier group E2, VIPER, and a predator over some targets. Is this correct, but I did not see any weapon deployment?

if possible it would be best to have a server track and a client track from the same session. Wondering if there is some truncation error, but did not see anything in the track replay provided.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BIGNEWY. This is a problem with DCS Tracks. Due to problems that have existed for many years now, the track files are often not an accurate representation of what occurred in the session. Having said that, this track file does actually show weapons employment but not until about 30mins into the session.

In summary, the dev team needs to be made aware that there is a problem with unit dispersion in multiplayer. Once units under attack have dispersed, issues occur including the following:

1) Occasional instantaneous warping of units from one location to another location (unit disappears and instantly reappears nearby)

2) Occasional shifting of units (units sometimes appear to float sideways to a new location)

3) External scripts and Tacview receive incorrect location data for enemy units. Scripts and Tacview see the enemy unit 30-80m away from where it actually was in the session. In session, weapons often miss, while in Tacview, they were a direct hit.

4) JDAM TOO designation (tested on Hornet TGP) on units after dispersion is unreliable. Weapons often miss by 30m even though designated correctly. This is never a problem prior to unit dispersion.

It is disappointing that a bug of this magnitude is still not marked as REPORTED. This type of issue will most certainly continue to cause cascading issues in DCS's MP stack, and the longer it goes unaddressed the more complex a fix will be.

Edited by bainsy

I have also seen the same issues described on my groups server as well. Multiplayer server. Not Dedicated server though. CTLD will lase and smoke a target but the smoke is several feet behind the actual unit. If using Mavericks that are only using laser codes, the mavericks are hitting the same location as the JTAC smoke and not the actual unit.

I took a short video of what happens. The ground unit warps when it is hit / dies. This is on MP yesterday.

Edit: here is another example from the same mission. The truck warps about 20m to the side when hit / killed.

Edited by Bearhedge
further info

• ED Team

This is already reported,

I have added the new data to the report

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2