Cashier keyboards...

This is a cheap solution to get a programmable keyboard. I bought a used "Preh Commander MC84 WX" with 84 Keys for just 15€ at store in town where it was not used anymore. I used to make a custom UFC.

Programming was a little tricky as it is a PS/2 Version. It works fine with a USB adaptor, but for programming you must use the PS/2 interface but the software only support 32bit.

So I made it this way

1. Created the layout with WinProgrammer software from the vendor.

2. Compiled it with a converter tool from the vendor to a legacy file type

3. Created "FreeDOS" USB bootable stick with the DOS Version of their app

4. Started my computer in FreeDOS and wrote the layoutfile to the keyboard.

As you can see in the pic I attached you can freely create a layout. There is also a 128 key version available (see ebay link). In my case it does not need to look nice and I do not need any labels on the keys (the programming app has also a label creation module) as I am using it in VR. With the transparent caps I think I modify them with to get a more haptic feedback. At the moment I used different size of caps to help navigating blindly across the layout.

Take a look at ebay for those keyboards:

https://ebay.us/wdNnpV

Preh_ufc.thumb.jpg.ced17ce2c79b2d376a5fdd80afe312c4.jpg

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

Im waiting on this one to turn up from China: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32820663508.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.71484c4dYfDqRK

As I fly Hornet I wanted

5 rows to allow for the 5 UFC buttons which will go RHS and 7 for the mode buttons at the base of the UFC.

Besides the scratch pad, Im going to use some for the IFEI buttons and things like the radio channels, Torch NVGs radio calls and stuff I dont like to scratch around for.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

That's a pretty smart idea :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

• 2 weeks later...

Mine finally turned up very happy with the form factor and it takes multi key commands nicely so I can use all the DCS defaults

IMG-2599.jpg

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

I ended up having to use Autohotkey to get the key strokes to space out but very happy with this.

IMG-2605.jpg

cw1.png

honestly I think its a bit homebuild for a commercial product, I'd really want it to look a bit more accurate if youre gonna spend that kind of cash

cw1.png

• 1 year later...