Noob Problem - Unable to get 9L Lock

Hi,

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I first start off with 9L's I can get a strong signal on a target, then uncage and get a lock tone. (I get the high pitched sine wave tone). Perfect!

If during game play I bump the sensor control switch - I'm unable to get a lock and I don't know how to return it. I can get the lower pitcher saw tone - but I don't know how to change the mode back.

I'm sorry - I know this is going to be a stupid question - but I've been searching video's for the last 24hrs and I'm obviously missing something simple.

I've made a youtube video of what I'm describing available here:

Video link

For the first 5 seconds I switch between cage and uncage- works perfectly.

Then I change the sensor control switch (forward) which locks the target on radar. I can cage and uncage, but I never get that high pitch tone back.

I try releasing the radar lock lock and going back to bore sight. No go.

I can get the high pitch if I point to the sun - so it's as though it's expecting a hotter target, but I'm in guessing land now.

I've asked a couple of mates who also play DCS (we're all relatively new to this) - they say it works for them - so I'm not sure what I have setup different.

Can someone please advise what I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I first start off with 9L's I can get a strong signal on a target, then uncage and get a lock tone. (I get the high pitched sine wave tone). Perfect!

If during game play I bump the sensor control switch - I'm unable to get a lock and I don't know how to return it. I can get the lower pitcher saw tone - but I don't know how to change the mode back.

I'm sorry - I know this is going to be a stupid question - but I've been searching video's for the last 24hrs and I'm obviously missing something simple.

I've made a youtube video of what I'm describing available here:

Video link

For the first 5 seconds I switch between cage and uncage- works perfectly.

Then I change the sensor control switch (forward) which locks the target on radar. I can cage and uncage, but I never get that high pitch tone back.

I try releasing the radar lock lock and going back to bore sight. No go.

I can get the high pitch if I point to the sun - so it's as though it's expecting a hotter target, but I'm in guessing land now.

I've asked a couple of mates who also play DCS (we're all relatively new to this) - they say it works for them - so I'm not sure what I have setup different.

Can someone please advise what I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance!

In what aircraft ?

(I'm not logged in youtube so I can't access the vídeo.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

In what aircraft ?

(I'm not logged in youtube so I can't access the vídeo.)

Thanks for the response - and sorry - you shouldn't need to be logged in. I think I did something wrong with the video. Hopefully I've fixed it now.

I'm in the FA/18

Thanks for the response - and sorry - you shouldn't need to be logged in. I think I did something wrong with the video. Hopefully I've fixed it now.

I'm in the FA/18

I've seen the vídeo now.

Can't tell you it isn't a bug; as I've recal something similar also happened to me.

Also, you have the "IR cool" switch in the OFF position... try with it at NORMAL or OVERRIDE...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I've seen the vídeo now.

Can't tell you it isn't a bug; as I've recal something similar also happened to me.

Also, you have the "IR cool" switch in the OFF position... try with it at NORMAL or OVERRIDE...

Hi Top Jockey. Thanks for your response.

I thought it was just something stupid that I was missing out on, but considering the views in this thread, and the lack of replies - I'm guessing it's not simple after all. :)

Interesting to note that you've had something similar happen.

I will definitely try changing IR cool and will report back.

Thanks once again for your help!

Did you uncage the seeker head?

If you mean by pressing 'C' - yes. I probably should have demo'd better, by placing the target a little further away from the bore sight, but you should be able to see it as I press the cage/uncage a few times jump between the target and caged position - while no tone changes (except at the very beginning when it was working to start with).