Russian Airplanes Please

Bob Morton

Hi,

I don’t know where to put this thread.

I would love to have a modern russian clickable airplane. None of the modules feature modern russian clickable airplanes and it is a shame because it would add variety.

It needs to be clickable for player like me who use VR.

While I love the teen series fighters it would be great to fly from the other side too.

Cheers.

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

I understand that modern russian planes are off-limits for now because of licensing restrictions .. but the Chinese JF-17 may fit the bill for you .. it's a very enjoyable multirole fighter.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Its not that easy to just add any airplane to DCS even if Eagle Dynamics wants it bad enough. Before any aircraft can even be considered to be added to DCS they need a License and access to the full data that usually comes with being granted a License.

In the Case of Russian aircraft it is further made more difficult by strict licensing controls by the Russian government. Plus ED is prohibited to develop a Russian module because its a Russian Company. See this podcast at 10:00 forward for more details.

https://alert5podcast.podbean.com/e/scramble-04-matt-wags-wagner/

I wouldn't mind seeing some more WW2 Russian planes - La-5/7, Yak-1/3/7/9, IL-2, MiG-3, etc. Right now the only (pre-)WW2 Russian mod is the I-16, which I love dearly but which doesn't seem to be getting any support lately.

i think since it's a national security issue for them so they're gonna weigh it based on strategic value, because systems design can give insights on doctrine and employment. an old tactical ground attack unit like a mi-24 is not as sensitive as an air defense unit like mig-25.

also would like to see russian ww2 aircraft modelled in dcs so i can enjoy high cockpit workload in full glory

In the Case of Russian aircraft it is further made more difficult by strict licensing controls by the Russian government. Plus ED is prohibited to develop a Russian module because its a Russian Company. See this podcast at 10:00 forward for more details.

https://alert5podcast.podbean.com/e/scramble-04-matt-wags-wagner/

That thankfully doesn't apply to 3rd parties

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

i think since it's a national security issue for them so they're gonna weigh it based on strategic value, because systems design can give insights on doctrine and employment. an old tactical ground attack unit like a mi-24 is not as sensitive as an air defense unit like mig-25.

You sidestep the Russians and this becomes irrelevant. I've mentioned elsewhere, there's plenty of client states that have these aircraft

Or there's an even easier route;

paul_allen_mig1.jpg

This is Paul Allen's mig-29. There's plenty of these and other models thatre in private ownership.

A 3rd party developer just has to reach out to the right people and they can get all the info they need

Edited by ngreenaway

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

remember when brianscooper tried to do a tu-22 module through the ukranians?

it didnt fly.

you guys just can't get it through your heads that there are people with more power than you and they get to dictate what can and can't be done and your 'logic' has jack squat say on any of it. the law of the jungle has always stood: might makes right, plain and simple.

Edited by probad

https://www.raptoraviation.com/warbirds/1986-mig-29ub

Here's another mig-29 for sale in Florida. How hard would it be for a dev to contact raptor aviation and say "we'll compensate you for your time& inconvenience but would you give us access to this airframe & any documentation it has to get the info to build a sim?"

DCS gets full clicky red-air. Players rejoice. Dollars come rolling in to the dev. People stop pressuring ED to make red air

System:

remember when brianscooper tried to do a tu-22 module through the ukranians?

it didnt fly.

No, I don't recall that. However, dealing with privately owned aircraft may be different than dealing with a foreign government

System:

also would like to see russian ww2 aircraft modelled in dcs so i can enjoy high cockpit workload in full glory

USA military owns almost all fighters that Russia has, except now Su-57, MiG-35 etc.

They literally buy the aircrafts, if they can't then they will turn one pilot to fly one for them, and if that is not possible they will hijack one and air transport it, and if that ain't possible then they will bribe some other foreign country official to get access for it.

The USA has all put in pieces down to individual nuts and assembled back.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

True that. I had just been born& was in Japan at the time Viktor belenko brought his then cutting edge mig 25 over from Russia to Japan

I remember seeing something of a mission the US did to covertly steal a bind and sling load it from a Chinook

I know I've seen Russian helos at fort bliss

Not a lot about Russian fighters is secret any more. Especially cuz most of the red air is Soviet era, and client states in need of cash following the fall of the Soviet Union were more than happy to sell their Russian-made arms

System:

It doesn't matter whether or not any of it is publically known. It doesn't matter whether or not your uncle happens to have one in his shed. As long as you are not China, to make it you need the consent of those who own the intellectual property of it.

https://www.raptoraviation.com/warbirds/1986-mig-29ub

Here's another mig-29 for sale in Florida. How hard would it be for a dev to contact raptor aviation and say "we'll compensate you for your time& inconvenience but would you give us access to this airframe & any documentation it has to get the info to build a sim?"

DCS gets full clicky red-air. Players rejoice. Dollars come rolling in to the dev. People stop pressuring ED to make red air

"licensing" That's the issue. Lawyers. Not boris and natasha.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Considering the Eurofighter is coming to DCS the Russians need a modern 4th Gen fighter fast. Maybe a Su-30 or the Su-27SM

Won't happen. And even then it will just be like clubbing baby seals with meteor shots from 100mi away.

The whole planeset in DCS is dumb along with the "Next" Uberplane fanbois.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

USA military owns almost all fighters that Russia has, except now Su-57, MiG-35 etc.

They literally buy the aircrafts, if they can't then they will turn one pilot to fly one for them, and if that is not possible they will hijack one and air transport it, and if that ain't possible then they will bribe some other foreign country official to get access for it.

This...

The US has had access to most soviet era and likely beyond stuff for decades. And many of the "new" systems the Russians put in there come from places like France... Guess who's gonna sell that system to the US too? Yup, france. So aside from domestically developed avionics, which are still often based on western electronics at this point the whole "sekrit" angle is pretty weak at least in the overall context of nation states.

Won't happen. And even then it will just be like clubbing baby seals with meteor shots from 100mi away.

The whole planeset in DCS is dumb along with the "Next" Uberplane fanbois.

I saw only 100+km, not miles

"licensing" That's the issue. Lawyers. Not boris and natasha.

Or... Just the lack of will?

Not a lot about Russian fighters is secret any more. Especially cuz most of the red air is Soviet era, and client states in need of cash following the fall of the Soviet Union were more than happy to sell their Russian-made arms

To be fair, only a small number of stock soviet era fighters is still in service. Like, a dozen or two Su-27s and the same amount of MiG-29/31s. Most of the fighters were modernised, and modernised heavily

Still couldn't get the most sophisticated aircraft of the Soviet and then early aged RuAF - MiG-31;)

I saw only 100+km, not miles

Or... Just the lack of will?

I'm willing to bet lawyers from any decent MoD or DoD would be able to outstrip the legal resources any small dev team could muster.

So yes, money.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!