LeapMotion with Valve Index VR Emulator (fixed) in DCS 2.5.6

havok2

Hello, pilots,

I'm reporting back with a project I got involved in after my LeapMotion Unit with the Valve Index Emulator just didn't work properly in DCS and in general.

For all who don't know, the LeapMotion module costs about 90€ and can be mounted and operated directly on the Valve Index or other glasses with a MicroUSB adapter and tape.

tsljJ1B.jpg

You can also order a version with an adhesive mount. The module tracks your hands with infrared stereo cameras. With an Emualtor your hands become Valve Index controllers and are theoretically compatible with many games. Unfortunately the Emualtor is not really maintained anymore and the fact that Visual Studio 2013 has to be used for editing doesn't make things easier. But thanks to virtual machines with Windows 7 I was able to edit the code and made it fit for DCS! Also, the hands are no longer shown twisted with rotation offset. Enclosed you have a video how the hands look in DCS and what you can do. Basically the native engine of DCS is used. This engine is already compatible with the index controllers. I have modified the driver minimally.

To activate the hand you have to form a pistol. Now you can simply tap against the button. This always corresponds to a left click (darkgreen) with the mouse. If you turn your hand 180° on its back, you can do a right click (blue). To click, you will have to trigger your index finger as you would trigger a gun. The interaction works quite well for me, but is also FPS dependent. Here is the link to the actual driver: https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap

Install the driver and replace the files in the installation path with my customized driver. DCS has to run in SteamVR mode - if you don't have one with link to dcs.exe and parameter --force_steam_Vr

Also attached are the edited source code files.

SDraw_driver_leap_sourcecode.zip

SDraw_driver_leap_patch.zip

Edited by havok2
  • Like 1

aaaam... Video unavailable

This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

:sly: Intel i9 9900K | RTX 2080ti | 64gb DDR4 | m2 SSD 512 gb + 512 gb + SSD 512 gb + HDD 2 tb | Saitek X-52 :joystick: | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO | Rift S :pilotfly:

aaaam... Video unavailable

This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Sorry there was music in the background... I uploaded a version without sound. You can see it now.

Looking great !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 1 month later...

Hi Havok. Would please post a simple step by step installation. I have tried to set this up but I do not see the controllers. I got DCLeap working but I just can't figure out where I'm going wrong with this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Havok - I just ordered the LeapMotion, can you outline what you did to make it functional within DCS ?

thanks

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For me the tracking in leap is practically flawless with the new Gemini drivers, but the tracking in steamvr is horrible and instead of hands it shows the emulated controllers. I have not tried DCLeap yet but it seems so close - if I had what I see in leap in steam, I think it could just work.

The funny thing is, there is a LeapC.dll already in DCS's bin folder. So somehow Leap Motion support is already in there, maybe in combination with the Varjo HMD...

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Well maybe that explains why havok sees hands and I see a controller connected to a fixed hand? It feels I'm doing something wrong. There are different controllers that can be set in the leap driver, but I don't really want any controller I guess.

• 1 month later...

Havok2 or any one else please HELP!!! 

For the life of me I can't figure out where to put the source code file. 😭😭😭 I only see sticks and not hands in steam

Edited by Warsh

6 hours ago, Warsh said:

Havok2 or any one else please HELP!!! 

For the life of me I can't figure out where to put the source code file. 😭😭😭 I only see sticks and not hands in steam

Just make sure you installed at least Leap 4.0.0 Software and put (override/replace) the files and stuff (https://forums.eagle.ru/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=172733) here (see screenshot). Thats it.

I see hands in DCS, and also see hands with my Valve Index Knuckle Controllers. So the Leap thing I reused also emulates these Valve Knuckels. When you don‘t see hands after doong the above steps - then there is something wrong at a different point.

BD94DDB1-DCA1-4C93-AB86-C4517B7FE517.jpeg

9E0D7E83-1E66-4AEC-8479-197BEEB521E4.jpeg

2F665D64-1F24-4D82-AC1A-F9B167737358.jpeg

Edited by havok2

On 11/13/2020 at 11:52 AM, Bluewings said:

Anyone got this working? I tried but behaviour is quite erratic, plus Im not sure where to paste the CLeapController.cpp and CLeapController.cpp files

Thanks in advance

Hey - the source code files are only necessary when someone wants to edit and recompile the whole thing with ms virtual studio. They cant be used for anythings else. So copy paste it to any path won‘t do anything! You only need the Leap Software and the replace the files with mine that you can download above. I just used the Leap thing from SDRaw and edited some values to „nearly“ match the Hand-Rotation-Offsets and disabled some buttons that are emulated and causing problems. You can also use the newest version from sdraw. He used my changes to adjust the code and placed the whole offsets into its config file. So you don‘t need to recompile that stuff anymore. I hard coded my values into the code. That was the reason I offered the code too :)

6 hours ago, havok2 said:

Just make sure you installed at least Leap 4.0.0 Software and put (override/replace) the files and stuff (https://forums.eagle.ru/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=172733) here (see screenshot). Thats it.

I see hands in DCS, and also see hands with my Valve Index Knuckle Controllers. So the Leap thing I reused also emulates these Valve Knuckels. When you don‘t see hands after doong the above steps - then there is something wrong at a different point.

BD94DDB1-DCA1-4C93-AB86-C4517B7FE517.jpeg

9E0D7E83-1E66-4AEC-8479-197BEEB521E4.jpeg

2F665D64-1F24-4D82-AC1A-F9B167737358.jpeg

Thank you for your reply. reintalled al still see controlers and not hands on steam.

• 2 months later...

I just received my LeapMotion sensor a few days ago. i am not very happy with it so i stopped using it but i am surprised to see that ED decided to work a bit on it.
(check comments in YT video by Bignewy).

I wanted to ask, is there a way to deactivate the green "laser pointer beam"? there is a problem with it, f.x. in the Viper when i rest my left hand on my HOTAS, the pointer points close to the emergency jettison button, so i have actually accidentally jettisoned everything, twice.

also my tracking doesn't look as good as others in videos.
Just to make sure i did everything correctly, what i did was to:
-download and install Orion V4 drivers
-extract the Leap_Driver by SDraw in <SteamVR_folder>/drivers
-Add "activateMultipleDrivers": true, line in section steamvr of <Steam_folder>/config/steamvr.vrsettings file
-download and replace Sdraw_driver_leap_patch by @havok2
-activate leap motion in DCS settings

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

I tried the Leap sensor a few months ago and didn't have any original success, so I uninstalled. Seeing the recent comments, I'm going to follow this thread now and see if I can get back to troubleshooting.

i9 11900K :: 32GB G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 :: Corsair water loop ::  Samsung 2TB 980pro nvme :: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterblock :: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Xtreme MoBo :: HP Reverb G2 VR

VKB Gunfighter flightstick and collective :: TM Warthog throttle & MFDs :: MFG Crosswind pedals :: 5 Dayton Audio bass shakers on 5.1 home theater amp

Win10 Pro x64 :: DCS 2.7 (Huey & P-51, mainly; have all the other rotors, but haven't explored their depths as yet)