Speed brakes dont auto retract in break turn

markturner1960

Hi been reading a few threads about landing techniques and have seen twice people saying that the speedbrakes should auto retract at a certain speed, with flaps deployed..... mine dont?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Can also depend on how your brake is mapped. For example my brake is mapped to a dx button on my hotas which is programmed to function as a hold press. As long as the button is held its continually telling dcs "deploy brake" so even when gear drops my brake stays out. If I was deploying my brake via a single key press or holding till it was completely deployed then releasing (without sending a retract command) then the brake would auto retract when gear drops.

OK, Mine is mapped extend btn 18 and retract btn 19 ( on my winwing throttle) It 100% does not retract automatically unless I use the switch.....

Off & retract/off are not mapped...

Do you think its something to do with this?

Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Does the switch 'latch' in the extend position? Or do you have to hold it to extend the brake.

Winwing switch is momentary for speed break extend. You have to hold it for a little bit to get the speed breaks to fully extend. But when you release it, the middle position (if mapped) would be pressed which is “off”. That button would register as a continuous press until the switch is rocked forward to retract or aft for extend. I haven’t tried the landing pattern to test the proposed question. But at one point I read a thread where the software had the speed brakes button reversed. I think they since fixed that in the latest firmware. After reading this I may need to un-map the off button.

Mine is mapped:

Retract = BTN18

OFF = BTN19

Extend = BTN20

Edited by GSS Rain

Winwing switch is momentary for speed break extend. You have to hold it for a little bit to get the speed breaks to fully extend. But when you release it, the middle position maybe be mapped which is “off” I think. That button would register as a continuous press until the switch is rocked forward to retract or aft for extend. Maybe un-mapping the middle button is the culprit.

Hmm perhaps. My experience is with TMWH, where the speedbrake is a 3 position: Aft(moment)-Off-Forward(Latch). With this system it works fine as you would expect.

So perhaps it is the "middle bind" if such a thing exists on Winwing

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

That was it thanks GSS, had my buttons mapped the other way round. Now works as it should!

Great help here on this forum....

• 11 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, GSS Rain said:

Winwing switch is momentary for speed break extend. You have to hold it for a little bit to get the speed breaks to fully extend. But when you release it, the middle position (if mapped) would be pressed which is “off”. That button would register as a continuous press until the switch is rocked forward to retract or aft for extend. I haven’t tried the landing pattern to test the proposed question. But at one point I read a thread where the software had the speed brakes button reversed. I think they since fixed that in the latest firmware. After reading this I may need to un-map the off button.

Mine is mapped:

Retract = BTN18

OFF = BTN19

Extend = BTN20

I have a similar binding but I find it weird.

When I press extend, it will extend as long as I hold it till the max

If I press off, nothing happens

if I press retract, i goes in all the way (1 click).

More logical would seem:

press and hold to extend

Press and hold to retract

off is stop the airbrake.

But I guess it is not logical for the hornet. If you are dogfighting and you want to go from 90% speed break to 60% you have to click retract and then when you are at approx 60 either click off or extend very quickly.

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

Flaps must also be in half or full

On 5/30/2020 at 5:16 PM, Swiftwin9s said:

The speedbrake will retract with the gear down and no weight on wheels. That means if you drop the gear then the brake will automatically retract whilst you are in flight.

Flaps must also be in half or full also

Edited by Bones1775