Wind over and deck.

colubridae

I've been practising case iii and noticed that if I get on track and then point the plane at the orange laser, I always drift off to the left.

I then realised that this is because, approaching the angled deck there is a generated crosswind (carrier speed times sin9° I think)

(I should have realised this before... Duh)

My question during recovery is:-

should the ship sail slightly to the right of any prevailing winds to help counter this crosswind?

(Obviously wouldn't help in zero wind)

Please.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

You are not the one drifting left, it is the carrier sails ~10° your right. Think about a situation with no wind at all, then all you have wind over deck is due to the carrier speed, as she "pulls your lineup" to your right side, continuously. Of course if there is wind, it makes it even worse, but the main cause is rather carrier speed. That's why you have to "aim" to the right side of the landing strip almost all the way.

Youare not the one drifting left, it is the carrier sails ~10° your right. Thinkabout a situation with no wind at all, then all you have wind over deck is dueto the carrier speed, as she "pulls your lineup" to your right side,continuously. Of course if there is wind, it makes it even worse, but the maincause is rather carrier speed. That's why you have to "aim" to theright side of the landing strip almost all the way.

Sorry I should have said ‘drifting to the left w.r.t the angled deck’

Pardon my physics upbringing.

(I’m drifting to the left of the angled deck/angled deck is drifting to my right. You pays your money and you takes your choice.)

But I’m mainly interested in my ambient wind question.

To whit ‘can the carrier sail sufficiently across the ambient wind to generate a counter crosswind which will match the ‘apparent’ crosswind generated by the angled deck moving at an angle along the ship’s heading?’

e.g. the ship sails due north at 20knts. This generates an apparent perpendicular wind (w.r.t.) the angled deck of 20xsin9degrees.

If the ambient weather has a wind coming from due north at 20 knots then a ‘counter’ crosswind can be generated by sailing the ship (I think) 18 degrees to starboard.

Is this correct, nonsense or doesn’t make a damn? Pretty please

:)

Would make sense, for sure, unless there is something against it that none of us recognized yet. Just because if there wouldn't be anything against it, I think they would have done it like this already. But I think you should ask G B or LEx about this. It is beyond my knowledge.

Would make sense, for sure, unless there is something against it that none of us recognized yet. Just because if there wouldn't be anything against it, I think they would have done it like this already. But I think you should ask G B or LEx about this. It is beyond my knowledge.

thanks razor.

I pretty much agree, it seems to make sense but, as you imply, if it's worthwhile then they would be doing it, I guess.

maybe any beneficial effect is not worth the added complexity.

thanks again. :thumbup:

The carrier won't always be able to sail an optimal course for landing. So while you're correct, you still need to be able to compensate for various crosswind. I'm not sure what's a typical or even acceptable range for carrier recovery though.

Well, just a quick mind exercise:

You cannot control natural wind (irl). To manage apparent wind over deck you can set ship course and ship speed. That gives you limited control of what you can balance.

Ship can travel 0-30 kts. Low speeds are not really suitable for landing ops because of directional stability. So let's say 10-30 is range you can use. It's really not that much of a control range given how wild ocean weather can be. If you add more parameters like wind gusts, you will never achieve perfect apparent headwind over landing strip.

That being said, your calculation is not wrong, but it will give you 39 knots of apparent head wind which is higher than ideal 25-30 kts.

You can slow down ship, but it will then require different course.

Edit: More mind exercise: irl - wind, ship and water will have their own dynamics, creating some forces and moments unknown to me, but I'm quite confident none of that is simulated in DCS.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

To simplify things, and because when I build missions I CAN control the weather, I set the carrier’s course to what it needs to be at 15kts, then put 15kts of wind into the mission at 18* from the ship’s port side and voila, resulting vector is 30kts of wind down the angle.

But that’s gaming the system a bit. You can figure out the trig to use 10kts of wind and 20kts ship speed, or any combination, but I don’t math so well so I keep it simple. :)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

In the editor you input wind course, as opposed to wind direction. Wind course is the direction the air mass is moving towards. Wind direction is the direction it's coming from. It's a thing. It's just not as common to use wind course as wind direction.