Wire wont disengage from hook

Hi, several times now, ( and usually when my landing has been somewhat interesting in the wind on the SC case 1 mission) I trap and the wire wont disengage from my hook, and starts pulling me backwards. Sometimes, by moving the jet around I can get it drop off, other times, its got me man and wont let go.....Obvs I have tried raising and lowering the hook several times, no go.....

Anyone else get this? It a bit annoying as the last time it happened, it pullled me into some parked planes as we were wrestling with each other and I got a fratricide and scores wiped!!!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

here is a picture

Screen_200531_141531.thumb.jpg.2b8737bc3212707b47d7f34b63f20cf2.jpg

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

That pic makes it look like your landing the wrong direction. Make sure you approach from the back of the carrier.

Either way so long as you go MIL power when you touch down, the cable should pull you back enough that the cable won't be hooked when you raise the hook. Don't fight the backwards pull. Go from mil to idle and wait till you stop, then raise the hook.

Same here. Happened already multiple times.

When it is stuck, i never managed to get it loose again. Not sure if its my mistake, when I raise the hook too soon.

Go to mil power again for few secs then back to idle. It should pull you back enough to free up the hook.

Guys.....credit me with a little here...obviously, I am landing the right way on the carrier!!!!!

The rather amusing picture was what happened eventually as I went forwards and back trying to get myself off the wire, finally, it pulled me to the side and I clipped a parked jet, which then spun me round facing backwards.....!!!

Well, I am glad its happening to others as well, do you feel that it happens as a result of doing something wrong, or is some kind of bug / issue with the carrier?

I tried going mil, as recommended, but just go forwards a bit until the wire pulls you back.....

Gripes, yes I am that very man.....been away from simming for a few years, but getting right back into it now and loving DCS especially naval ops. Funnily enough, I did install BMS 4.34 this morning, but whether I have time to learn again as well as DCS, I doubt...

For me it only happens when I don't go to mil on touchdown, or when I wait to long with going idle when the cable starts pulling the jet backwards.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

Either way so long as you go MIL power when you touch down, the cable should pull you back enough that the cable won't be hooked when you raise the hook. Don't fight the backwards pull. Go from mil to idle and wait till you stop, then raise the hook.

This. Don't hit the brakes to keep yourself from going backwards. Just wait till you stop rolling via friction THEN raise the hook. I have never had a problem with a stuck wire doing it this way on either the Stennis or the SC.

Not sure why people would need to be told to go to MIL as in case of a bolter this should be automatic for anyone landing a non VSTOL aircraft on any carrier.

Edited by Stubbies2003

Presumably, this does not happen in reality, so should be considered a bug? Once you lift your hook, the wire should drop off, there should be no circumstance where it stays attached.......

Same problem here multiple times. Land, roll back, stop, raise hook and yet am still connected to the wire.

Was the hook all the way up? (hook light off - comes on only in transition)

I haven't seen this yet. If it's a bug, sooner or later it'll show up

I dont know how well the arresting gear is modeled, but on the actual flight deck, it was not that unusual for the hook to get caught up on the wire. We wouldnt signal the pilot to raise the hook until the aircraft rolled backwards far enough so the the hook would very clearly, clear the hook, and if it got caught up, we would signal the pilot to keep off the breaks, then signal the arresting gear operator to jerk back the wire, then as the plane continued to roll back (rather uncomfortably fast in some cases), clear the hook and wire, signal raise hook, then signal the pilot forward, and rather powerfully at that point.

So once trapped, you should be at full Mil, and perhaps even a shot of burner, NO BRAKES applied, you should snap back to idle and let the tension pull you back a bit. (In real life, the the director would be signally you to stay off the brakes so you would start rolling back, then he will tell you when to raise the hook) THEN raise the hook. The cable should be separated at this point and at rest on the deck

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Guilty of that too but it's not a bug, it's a skill - you just have to learn the correct way - in Tomcat it's like this - MIL at trap for 2 sec. until full stop, IDLE, wait 2s in pull back roll, raise the hook.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 4 months later...

Any news on this?

Never had a problem until the latest stable release, and now this has been happening the majority of landings in our FA18. Not just me, but also my wingman. Considering I got an _OK_ landing on one (that surprised me too) - I don't know what we're doing wrong.

On landing we've been power up in preparation for a bolter and then holding for 3-5 seconds then release. We don't touch the brakes, and don't touch the hook - just let ourselves get pulled back but the cable stays stuck.

I thought this may be an issue with the latest update because it only started with this version but then I find this thread with no conclusions or fixes from months ago. :(

Edited by Dangerzone

Guilty of that too but it's not a bug, it's a skill - you just have to learn the correct way - in Tomcat it's like this - MIL at trap for 2 sec. until full stop, IDLE, wait 2s in pull back roll, raise the hook.

+1

When it happens to me, I resolve it with the same principle. No problem, just a short reflection, action, then to parking.

Hmm personally, after landing I just wait for the orange light above the hook handle to light up before I raise it. That seems to work just fine :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

It’s just your timing, after trapping the wire place throttles from mil power to idle. As the jet starts moving backwards raise the hook.

I can confirm, this just happened to me and I was able to disengage after letting the wire drag my tomcat back a bit and jiggling the hook handle. The arresting gear officer is going to be pissed though, letting the pendant drag an idling 24 ton fighter a couple of plane lengths can't be good for the arresting gear.

• 3 years later...

Only time I've every had this happen was if brakes were accidentally engaged.  It's not widely reported so I'd have to think this is more likely user error than a bug.  Post a track of it happening and others can see if that have the same issue.

• Like 1