POIs taxiing

PIO*

I can fly a wide variety of aircraft in this game, rotary to fixed, this includes the challenging airframes like the Huey, Gazelle, Mustang, AV8B and so on, and currently the Spitfire is a series of oscillations in yaw on taxi, absolute nightmare, I do not have this issue with the Spit in MS FS and others, point being; something is very adrift.

Suggestions?

Edited by ouPhrontis
Misleading wording, it was late.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Mustang has tail wheel steering, hence why you can drive straight. The Spitfire has not even a lock for the rear wheel, so oscillations are totally fine. You just need to practise how to keep the oscillations to a minimum.

The Mustang as standard has a tail wheel lock. With it locked, you have 6(?) degrees of movement left / right to enable easy steering on the ground. The Spitfire has a fully castoring tail wheel - it has no lock at all. If you have very little airflow over the rudder, the only way to stop it ground looping is with your brakes.

The Spitfire just takes practice. It's actually my favourite module to taxi because of the ground handling. Stick at it and it will come :)

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Yep, without a tail wheel lock (or speed), you have a shopping trolley. But even a shopping trolley can be driven (sort of) straight, it just takes more effort. It IS harder. The torque wants to drive in a different direction than you do, so you have to fight it. so a shopping trolley with a stuck left wheel.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Sorry I should've clarified; I know all about the Mustang's tail wheel lock, otherwise I'd not be able to fly it, and I know the Spitfire castors, what I was after was perhaps some techniques or suggested configs for a CH HOTAS that get the best use for the Spitfire, I rushed my original post late at night.

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Hi Pikey, yes full HOTAS all CH with pedals, I've had a config for MS FS Spitfire from A2A, but long lost all that years ago, but I know that the brakes are actuated from the yoke lever etc, trying to find some analogue way of doing this that does not stray too far from the real thing.

Well, the issue with the Spitfire is that the brake lever really prefers an axis. If you press and hold a button mapping, it's not quite the same, right? Sure, its a gradual application, but its the same one and doesn't really allow smooth and "slight" application. I gave up with the lever on the WH stick for the Spit and put it back on my right break pedal. It can be dual bound too, although both at once fight each other.

I think in a nutshell this type of control issue would be far easier in the real thing with all the feelings you would recieve in feedback, but try sticking it on a brake pedal and see if you like it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Tapping the paddle switch on Warthog shortly to modulate left/right brake force is not that bad and works OK once you get used to it (although it's not smooth solution I agree).

Or should I say - it's sufficient as long as you don't intend to do make S-turns.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Tapping the paddle switch on Warthog shortly to modulate left/right brake force is not that bad and works OK once you get used to it (although it's not smooth solution I agree).

Or should I say - it's sufficient as long as you don't intend to do make S-turns.

I mapped mine to the analog stick on the throttle. Works surprisingly well with a little bit of tuning.

What works for me like a champ, is:

CH pedal toe brake (only one) set to Spitfire brake axis, I had to invert it and set it as slider. Now I can make very accurate S turns and have no more issues taxiing.