3D Printed Hornet Front Panel - VR

Jself

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Jself First of all, thank you very much for your effort. But - Am i missing something? What part did you use to connect the UFC to the mounts? Looks like there is something inbetween, but i cant figure out the part. THX in advance.

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

• 2 months later...

Jself, I just want to say a huge THANK YOU for making the files available, and documenting your build!  

I am in the process of printing the panel as we speak, and have all the switches and hardware you specified on hand.  I completed the CM Panel two nights ago and it turned out beautifully (in my opinion).  I'm using a Prusa MK3S+, printing in PLA at 30% infill. 

One thing I did that seemed to help the text was to use XYZ Compensation in PrusaSlicer to enlarge the parts with text by 0.03mm (along with any parts that they directly connect to, not that it matters too much).  This made the text large enough to print well; otherwise some of the text was being omitted in the slicer since it was smaller than my stock nozzle.

IMG_3460.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to start building my own F/A 18C simpit and have a few questions.

1. This might be a noob question put in a noob manner, but how do you output the DDI's from the computer. I understand that they are the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's  and they are USB controled, so does that mean they are not going to your video card and all the outputs that i need on my card are for the actual number of main screens i intend to use? (i have not even chosen the video card that I am going to use yet which is why i'm asking... I know they are all on backorder and it will take a month or two to get one, but that's how it goes...)

2. Are you using Helios to display the MFD's?

3. Why the Aurduino Leonardo instead of say the UNO or the Mega?

4. Not sure if i missed this one, but are you mapping all the buttons/switches in DCS directly, or are you using DCS BOIS to handle that?

(P.S. oh hey!! look!! my first post on these forums!!)

Edited by Dogan Sheridan

18 hours ago, Dogan Sheridan said:

I am looking to start building my own F/A 18C simpit and have a few questions.

1. This might be a noob question put in a noob manner, but how do you output the DDI's from the computer. I understand that they are the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's  and they are USB controled, so does that mean they are not going to your video card and all the outputs that i need on my card are for the actual number of main screens i intend to use? (i have not even chosen the video card that I am going to use yet which is why i'm asking... I know they are all on backorder and it will take a month or two to get one, but that's how it goes...)

2. Are you using Helios to display the MFD's?

4. Not sure if i missed this one, but are you mapping all the buttons/switches in DCS directly, or are you using DCS BOIS to handle that?

(P.S. oh hey!! look!! my first post on these forums!!)

Hi Dogan, welcome to the forum!

I think you may misunderstand exactly what the Thrustmaster MFD's are, and so I want to clarify: They are just a USB input device that looks like an MFD bezel; no display at all.

In the OP's case, he has done a masterful job of printing out pictures of the screens, cutting them to size, and placing them into the MFDs so that it looks great, but because he (and myself and many others) use VR, having actual displays for the MFDs and other gauges would be redundant.

That said, many people have had success finding small display screens to place behind the MFDs (although this specific panel would require extensive modification to allow the display to fit), and outputting displays through 3rd party software, which I can't offer any help with.

Just didn't want you to be disappointed.

All of that said, I have been printing parts nearly 24/7 for two weeks for this cockpit, and am 80% of the way done.  Nearly all of the parts are really well designed and print very well; there's only one part I've had an issue with, fitting the video panel switches into the IFEI I'll have to trim some material.  The text has come out awesome on mine.  I'm working on assembling it today, and will wire it up once my new soldering iron comes in.  Instead of using Arduinos, I opted to go with Leo Bodnar boards, as those are what I'm familiar with and already had one on hand.  I'll post some pictures of my finished produce once it's done, but it will be a few more weeks due to work taking up a lot of my time.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:56 AM, OPEC said:

@Jself First of all, thank you very much for your effort. But - Am i missing something? What part did you use to connect the UFC to the mounts? Looks like there is something inbetween, but i cant figure out the part. THX in advance.

@OPEC I don't know if you ever figured this out (surely you did, but for anyone else that may be struggling), but there are actually several parts that must be printed from the original Burns UFC folder, for the UFC to be completed.   It appears that Jself put his modified files in the UFC folder, and left the files that he did not modify in the Burns original folder, in order to make it clear which parts he was the author of, and which were from Burns perhaps.

I only discovered this last night when I thought I was completely finished printing, and began assembly only to feel like a monkey after messing with the UFC for an hour and still being unable to figure out how it went together.  Then I perused the Burns UFC thread and found the missing parts.  I'm away from home on a trip now, but off the top of my head, they are:

UFC Left & Right Sides

UFC Top Cover (or something like that, it's a curved piece shaped like a parentheses)

HUD Panel (the part that sits below the UFC)

It should have been much more clear to me that I was still missing pieces, but I've just been dumbly working my way through the list I made at the beginning of the project, and didn't realize until I started assembly on the main panel.  So now I have another day or two of printing to do, lol.

How is yours coming along?  Any advice for me?

Edited by War_Pig

On 7/4/2020 at 8:55 PM, Jself said:

Right-DDI.jpg

@Jself I have a question about the Spin Panel:

On the parts I printed, it appears there is no way to mount the IR Cool O'Ride/Norm/Off Switch with the nut hidden as you have it, without another piece behind the face panel.  What method did you end up using to mount this switch?  I see in some of your pictures it has the nut external (visible), and in this one it is hidden; presumably you found a way to secure it and I'd love to know how, if you're willing to share.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The day when

1 hour ago, War_Pig said:

It’s been a long project, but my build is finally nearing completion.  173 Button inputs, I have a lot of controls to set up in DCS!

0FB01CCD-08A0-43D9-A43F-68FBED58EB40.jpeg

The day when augmented reality headsets will get common with private PC simulation games will be the day you get real busy and rich. Great job.

11 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

The day when

The day when augmented reality headsets will get common with private PC simulation games will be the day you get real busy and rich. Great job.

Thanks, but Jself gets all the credit for releasing the files, I just printed what he designed.  Awesome of him and to release such a finished design!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That looks really really good.  I'd be inclined to 3d print the Open Hornet DDI and AMPCD bezels but the Cougar MFD are certainly an easy drop in. 

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 3 weeks later...

@Jself:
I just stumbled across your Cockpit, great work and THX for sharing!!!
I'm about to build my deskpit...
Is it possible to exchange your UFC-panel with the pcflights-UFC-panel so that it fits onto your ufc-housing?
(Just the front-plate from the link above)
I really wanna go the builders way, and your pit looks great.
Unfortunatly I don't own an 3D-printer, but a friend of mine, so I have to be sure, before
I order him to print my stuff.

Greetings Purzel

On 6/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Dogan Sheridan said:

Not sure if this has been answered, but it looks like he's using the Leonardo and Pro Micro because they have the 32u4 processor and he's using them as standard HIDs/ game controller input devices.  The other arduinos have different processors and can't easily be used like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi :)
I have and I :)
 It took me about 3 months. My two printers were working non-stop. 
As you can see DDI Left and Right and AMPCD I made myself and matched to your project about GREAT Jself. I am so grateful to you for the 
files that I could use for this build. I made a lot of my changes, largely reworked or even built new panels based on yours. 
If anyone is interested, please contact me. My changes mainly concerned the inscriptions which my slicer couldn't handle, 
I changed the font and everything started to come out. 
Once again, THANK YOU!

Finally, a small question. Are you going to share files for the side panels that you already have, or should I start building them on my own from 
the next week :)? because I'll start it for sure :)

Aha! If anyone was interested, I forced the Arduino Leonardo to operate 99 keys under the HID interface. I can send you a sketch. 
My front panel runs on 4 arduino. 1 Leonardo and one Micro for HID, additionally One Arduino Mega and another Micro for DCS Bios.

Regards ! :)

IMG_9047.jpg

Edited by Eldritch

On 10/30/2021 at 3:31 AM, Eldritch said:
Hi :)
I have and I :)
 It took me about 3 months. My two printers were working non-stop. 
As you can see DDI Left and Right and AMPCD I made myself and matched to your project about GREAT Jself. I am so grateful to you for the 
files that I could use for this build. I made a lot of my changes, largely reworked or even built new panels based on yours. 
If anyone is interested, please contact me. My changes mainly concerned the inscriptions which my slicer couldn't handle, 
I changed the font and everything started to come out. 
Once again, THANK YOU!

Finally, a small question. Are you going to share files for the side panels that you already have, or should I start building them on my own from 
the next week :)? because I'll start it for sure :)

Aha! If anyone was interested, I forced the Arduino Leonardo to operate 99 keys under the HID interface. I can send you a sketch. 
My front panel runs on 4 arduino. 1 Leonardo and one Micro for HID, additionally One Arduino Mega and another Micro for DCS Bios.

Regards ! :)

IMG_9047.jpg

very nice - the side consoles stl files are no in the google drive with the front panel files

On 6/11/2021 at 9:20 PM, War_Pig said:

Jself, I just want to say a huge THANK YOU for making the files available, and documenting your build!  

I am in the process of printing the panel as we speak, and have all the switches and hardware you specified on hand.  I completed the CM Panel two nights ago and it turned out beautifully (in my opinion).  I'm using a Prusa MK3S+, printing in PLA at 30% infill. 

One thing I did that seemed to help the text was to use XYZ Compensation in PrusaSlicer to enlarge the parts with text by 0.03mm (along with any parts that they directly connect to, not that it matters too much).  This made the text large enough to print well; otherwise some of the text was being omitted in the slicer since it was smaller than my stock nozzle.

IMG_3460.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have the modified files with the larger text, were these painted or did you use white filament.

just got my printer today so going to give this project a go.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:17 AM, War_Pig said:

It’s been a long project, but my build is finally nearing completion.  173 Button inputs, I have a lot of controls to set up in DCS!

0FB01CCD-08A0-43D9-A43F-68FBED58EB40.jpeg

btw, that looks awesome

On 11/4/2021 at 3:19 AM, MelkorBorgir said:

picked up an Anycubic Vyper, started printing tonight. this will be my first print....lol

That´s a good start sir!!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

On 10/30/2021 at 3:31 AM, Eldritch said:
I made a lot of my changes, largely reworked or even built new panels based on yours. 
If anyone is interested, please contact me. My changes mainly concerned the inscriptions which my slicer couldn't handle, I changed the font and everything started to come out. 

Yes please!  With jself's permission, I would love to have some of your modified buttons, and it looks like you even designed your own Hornet-style DDI's, which look AMAZING!  I'd love to print some of your modified or customized parts if you're willing to share.  My printer would not slice the text on many of the files, and so I wound up adjusting the dimensions by a fraction of a percent until it would render, allowing me to get nice results.

I really love how you added the labels directly to the buttons, I guess you designed your own button caps?  That's very nice!

On 11/3/2021 at 10:50 AM, MelkorBorgir said:

You wouldn't happen to have the modified files with the larger text, were these painted or did you use white filament.

just got my printer today so going to give this project a go.

btw, that looks awesome

Thank you for your kind compliments!  I didn't have any way to modify the files themselves, so what I did was increase the size of the part as a whole, and any parts that directly connected to it.  There was some trial-and-error in the slicer until I got the text large enough to be able to slice correctly, and then the parts printed well the first time.

I've forgotten exactly how much I had to increase the size, but it was a fraction of a percent, certainly less than 1mm, and well within the dimensional tolerances of a 3D printed part this size.  I only increased it just enough so that the text was completely rendered, the printed part wouldn't be noticeably larger at all, and all of my holes and connections lined up perfectly.

Now check out my makeover, still in progress. X 56 Rhino. It turns into Hornet Throttle

(It is based in part on the Hobby Tech Gear design  )

Even the throttle lever works 🙂 Thanks for the side panels files Jself, my master 🙂

photo_2021-11-09_13-23-12.jpg

photo_2021-11-09_13-23-15.jpg

photo_2021-11-09_13-23-06.jpg

Edited by Eldritch