3D Printed Hornet Front Panel - VR

Jself

This is amazing, the attention to detail is great. I’m not into simpit right now but I can definitely see myself in heading in this direction in the future.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

3D Printed Hornet Front Panel - VR

buddy, you don't know the rabbit hole you've opened, now that you have a 3D printer... (I have way to many projects).

One thing you might with to consider down the road. A Raspberry Pi, and run Octoprint to help manage your 3D printer. They work like a charm! :thumbup:

Well, I have a Monstertech cockpit on order, so at least I won’t have to worry about general pit construction any more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

awesome work, did you sell the first one ? thanks for the files

This is the first one, I did re print several of the panel faces once I settled on the raised text method. I'm keeping it for my own use, no intention of making any for anyone else...Its a time suck and I would have to charge way more than anyone would want to pay to cover my time.

This is the first one, I did re print several of the panel faces once I settled on the raised text method. I'm keeping it for my own use, no intention of making any for anyone else...Its a time suck and I would have to charge way more than anyone would want to pay to cover my time.
How did you slice the main UFC body? I'm trying to figure out the best way to attack this one.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

How did you slice the main UFC body? I'm trying to figure out the best way to attack this one.

I had 3 tries at it before I was happy(ish). I ended up with it face up, parallel to the bed and used Tree supports in Cura. It was much easier to clear them out than with standard supports.

VERY nice!

Do I see a mechanical altimeter there?

I'm VERY interested in that. ;)

No, I just printed images off the web and put them under a clear plastic sheet... they are convincing though !

I think I'm down to the home stretch... I got my printer running well again and reprinted the UFC..it looked awful the first time.. I got the raised text/color change figured out, so I'll be reprinting the spin and master arm panel faces. The UFC is wired, most of the LEDs are wired. I'm hoping to have the front panel finished, wired and mounted to my pit by this time next week. Its coming together nicely. The MFDs are just sitting in place. They are not bolted down yet..that is why they are little crooked. I have 1 bad LED in the UFC round switches but I didn't order a spare, so I'm stuck with it now.

IMG-0539.jpg

J, amazing work. I also fly in VR exclusively, and wonder how you obtained or maintained the 1:1 scale of this panel while in VR? How do you locate all the switches whilst "under the hood" in VR? I presume you're not using the hand controllers (or are you), and just reaching forward to the panel to actuate?

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

J, incredible work! I´ve downloaded the stl,s and imported them to fusion so I can adapt them to my pit. What software did you use to design them? Is it possible to have the original files before converting to stl? I just need to adapt the supports, etc but working with stl,s is very inefficent.

I had it with the face parallel to the bed (face up). It still didn't turn out great, but out of the 3 ways I tried it, this was the best. The support is a HUGE PITA to remove. I used the experimental Tree support (in CURA) the last time I printed it and it was much easier to remove (still a PITA). I did everything at .2mm layer height. There isn't enough detail in the Z axis of any of the parts to go any smaller than that with layer height

Edited by Jself

J, amazing work. I also fly in VR exclusively, and wonder how you obtained or maintained the 1:1 scale of this panel while in VR? How do you locate all the switches whilst "under the hood" in VR? I presume you're not using the hand controllers (or are you), and just reaching forward to the panel to actuate?

No hand controllers. I scaled the UFC that Brun designed off the buttons I wanted to use, then based everything else off that from the NATOPS fold outs. It does take a little fiddling with the VR center when you first get in to get it positioned right. But once that is set I can usually get close enough to feel the button/knob/switch very quickly with very little feeling around. I typically base it off the DDI Day/night knobs. If I can reach out and those two are in the right place, then I know I'm good to go. The Thrustmaster MFDs are more narrow than the Hornet DDIs, so even if you get everything centered up right, the outer column of buttons on those are not far enough to the outside, I end up reaching for them and hitting the Master/arm or spin panel. It didn't take long to develop some muscle memory and I don't even realize it now.

I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It way more immersive than fiddling with the mouse. I can hand jam way points much faster now, its awesome to be able to reach down and click up the CM bypass switch when a sam launched at you and you forgot to do that during fence in.

Edited by Jself

J, incredible work! I´ve downloaded the stl,s and imported them to fusion so I can adapt them to my pit. What software did you use to design them? Is it possible to have the original files before converting to stl? I just need to adapt the supports, etc but working with stl,s is very inefficent.

I used Onshape. I think with the free accounts, all the projects are public, so you can probably get in there and search for it. If not, PM me your user name and I think I can share it with you. I will warn you ,they are a mess. I was teaching myself CAD along the way and especially those first few panels (DDIs) are not done very well. Way too many sketches/extrudes. I didn't mirror the right side to left before I designed a lot of detail into the right side. There are actually 2 parts studios (One has right and center and the other has all 3 sections, but just the left side is good). But even then I think I used some of the parts from the other studio... I'm not even sure if I can remember what I did...lol.

If you just needed to design supports it probably wouldn't be too bad.

MY export options are:

Parasolid

ACIS

STEP

IGES

Solidworks

Collada

Rhino

GLTF

STL

If anyone of those would be better, let me know and I'll add them to the google drive

Edited by Jself

I used Onshape. I think with the free accounts, all the projects are public, so you can probably get in there and search for it. If not, PM me your user name and I think I can share it with you. I will warn you ,they are a mess. I was teaching myself CAD along the way and especially those first few panels (DDIs) are not done very well. Way too many sketches/extrudes. I didn't mirror the right side to left before I designed a lot of detail into the right side. There are actually 2 parts studios (One has right and center and the other has all 3 sections, but just the left side is good). But even then I think I used some of the parts from the other studio... I'm not even sure if I can remember what I did...lol.

If you just needed to design supports it probably wouldn't be too bad.

MY export options are:

Parasolid

ACIS

STEP

IGES

Solidworks

Collada

Rhino

GLTF

STL

If anyone of those would be better, let me know and I'll add them to the google drive

Thanks a lot for your answer, J. I think fusion can import most of those formats, but apparently STEP is the best one to keep the original functionalities.

I just created an account in onshape but I cannot find your work. I´ll PM you in case you can just send me a link.

Ah! don´t worry about the messyness of your files. I´m also a mess when I work in 3D, firstly because I´m self taught, secondly because I don´t normally have a clear plan and I develop the idea while I´m working on it and finally because I do the things just for me, and not meant to be seen.

• 4 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, Jself said:

Here is a link to my Google drive with all the STL files, Arduino sketches and the start of my documentation. I'm still working on cleaning up the wiring diagrams , I'll try and have those uploaded soon

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CxYMFzfWFkWKXHwS2IiQCrdIfeTMGgU4?usp=sharing

Am I not looking in the right place? I see you have back pieces for the right ddi and ufc that are different or missing in your Google drive folders

Edited by Dreadwing

• 3 weeks later...